Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
luckee13
1st Gear Newbie

E36 Swap

Hey guys!

Im new to this forum and new to the RWD vehicle I currently own a 1998 Honda prelude stock, I had a 2000 a couple of years ago and I modded it as much as I could and went to the track and had blast, now im looking on doing the same thing this time RWD style

I just purchased a 1994 318i 4dr with 317xxx KM ( at a steal for $100 ) Its missing its speakers and the left side rear windows cracked and thats no biggy as it is my project car!

The body's in mint condition and the car actually starts with the first try! It has its problems, but I initially purchased the vehicle as my first RWD project car.

My plan: I would like to rebuild the 1994 four door E36 M3!!! I love M3's and I would like to build one. Ive researched here and there and I know that the S50 and the S52 are a perfect match. Now I need your expert opinions, and had a few questions. Would I be able to buy the M3 engine and transmission ECU and the axel and pretty much bolt on? Has anyone done this? Where should I be looking on buying the engine and ect?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! I will post pictures of this beast as soon as I get my camera!
luckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

There is more then motor and tranny to build an m3 outa a shell. Suspension, brakes, reinforced floor mounts for the subframe, diff, larger axle shafts, and body peices.... Try and find a wrecked m3

If u want a real m3 you need to find a euro motor, lots more power then the north American version.

Or there is always the small block swap !!

(don't think there was a 94 4dr m3, and the only 94 m3's where euro specs they somehow snuck through)

Last edited by richie_s999; 10-01-2010 at 02:25 AM.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
luckee13
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
There is more then motor and tranny to build an m3 outa a shell. Suspension, brakes, reinforced floor mounts for the subframe, diff, larger axle shafts, and body peices.... Try and find a wrecked m3

If u want a real m3 you need to find a euro motor, lots more power then the north American version.

Or there is always the small block swap !!

(don't think there was a 94 4dr m3, and the only 94 m3's where euro specs they somehow snuck through)
Suspension,brakes and ect well be a most for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Initially available as a coupé only, BMW introduced M3 convertible/cabriolet and saloon/sedan versions in 1994
I believe your right, but my intentions to rebuild it, and I have been told the that the Euro engine is much better like you mentioned.

good idea on the M3 wreck... Im gonna look into that option
luckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
doogee
6th Gear Member

Keep in mind this is going to cost you between $10-20,000 to do...

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

You might as well buy a 4dr m3, for $8-10k.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
doogee
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
You might as well buy a 4dr m3, for $8-10k.
Exactly

Old 10-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

OP did say it's a project car, while it is sometimes cheaper to buy already done he may enjoy the build process.

It's getting hard to find a M3 that doesn't need some fourm of work, no matter how well it seems to taken care of, excpecially a 4dr. Even at 10 grand it's gonna need something, not to mention if it's stock it's gonna need upgrades.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
dejan_da_dude
E36-err

I did a e36 318 1993 body to a m3 conversion and luckly I actually bought it for a good price, but my friend who i bought it from spend 9 grand for the engine, deff,tranny,exhaust,suspention, lighter flywheel, new clutch, and then i tore out the Rear subframe(Common issue)
dejan_da_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejan_da_dude View Post
I did a e36 318 1993 body to a m3 conversion and luckly I actually bought it for a good price, but my friend who i bought it from spend 9 grand for the engine, deff,tranny,exhaust,suspention, lighter flywheel, new clutch, and then i tore out the Rear subframe(Common issue)
then a full m3 conversion was not done, the M3 came with reinforcement plates on the floor of the car at the subframe mounts, you can get them along with alot of reinforcement peices as a kit from Turner for $200....if these plates are not installed, its not gonna handle the M3 motor, which is why these plates were used on the M3
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
doogee
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
then a full m3 conversion was not done, the M3 came with reinforcement plates on the floor of the car at the subframe mounts, you can get them along with alot of reinforcement peices as a kit from Turner for $200....if these plates are not installed, its not gonna handle the M3 motor, which is why these plates were used on the M3
It's actually nothing to do with the motor. Doesn't matter if you have it or not, the problem can happen.

Pretty sure they're only on the M's as extra insurance since they'd see the track more than the average 3 series.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Good luck! I am in the middle of basically the same thing with a 328i sedan. I've got less than an m3 sedan costs into the whole project right now including 5 spd swap, and nice wheels (motor with 64k miles).

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: