Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #31
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwconnect View Post
Philboski looking threw your past posts IMHO you have contributed to the maxbimmer community brilliantly either threw your negative or positive experiences witch I believe warrants a push in any direction from the BMW community that will make you happy even if it means dropping your BMW... best of luck in your search for automobile serenity
Great post - nice to see a post with out the air of elite-ism which happens alot.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #32
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Say what in the who now?

Expensive is relative. More expensive then a similar year/make BMW? Highly doubt that. And yes - I have one, and I don't know. Know why? I haven't needed any parts!!

Definitely more reliable. Those who give the story about "the driving experience" blah blah blah are making themselves feel better. My driving experience is much better, however I do have a slight pain in the left butt cheek... oh wait... That's my money still in my wallet...
We've had to order some parts for Acuras before and they were fairly expensive for a glorified Honda. Plus, the V6 models have very little room in engine bays to do anything.
Don't get me wrong, I specially like the 2004+ TLs. Exterior is nice, beautiful interior, they are reliable. But by the end of the day, its still an Acura.
I still like my BMWs after owning them for a long time. But if I was to buy anything Japanese, I'd get bored with it after 3 months.

PS: "The driving experience" thing is pretty much true. I've driven enough cars to know the difference. If we wanted to buy something reliable, everyone in this board would have so many other options other than Euro cars. Even if we do pour money into these cars, we still love it.

Last edited by zarbat007; 10-02-2010 at 02:59 AM.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #33
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post
PS: "The driving experience" thing is pretty much true. I've driven enough cars to know the difference. If we wanted to buy something reliable, everyone in this board would have so many other options other than Euro cars. Even if we do pour money into these cars, we still love it.
So have I - From Ferrari's to Z4's to M6's to all kinds of Porsche's.

A 3 series BMW doesn't entrall me to the road. Now if you go higher, M5's, M6's, etc that different, but it's also WELL out of the same price range, so you'd expect different.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #34
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
I was not trying to insult you, just stating the obvious! Sorry if it hurts.

Asking me to get bent, please, are we 10 years old here!? But whatever...

Fact is, if your car is leaking coolant, you should NOT drive it, PERIOD!!! Maybe overheating would come as a surprise, but its not BMW's problem you didnt want to fix it. Show me ONE car, that will take that kind of abuse, and...well, maybe you should just buy that car!

Again, this was not meant to be an insult to you, just a rant about people that don't fix things, and expect it last forever...Timing chain guides being the perfect example; did you have them replaced at the regular interval before they broke?
I am not 10 years old, but I am severely frustrated. What is meant by your comments matters less than how they appear to the person to whom they are directed.

If the car is leaking coolant from the expansion tank, at a rate of a minor top-up (roughly a cup) every two weeks, it isn't exactly engine threatening. If it needs more, then do the work, and quick. And I'll be damned if I am going to dump a grand into a car just to trade it.

I am currently assessing my finances to determine the best course of action. One of those directions may be keeping the car -- I don't know yet.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #35
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Is your car chipped?? If so the timing is likely advanced, whick can affect the nox numbers, also make sure they run the giant fan in front of it, they are susposed to do this so it cools the car like the air would at 40km an hour
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #36
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Why not source used parts? Expansion tank from another E36 or whatever could cost maybe 50$ and solve your coolant problem. I spent about 100$ on new hoses so I could completely replace all my hoses in my engine bay. Took me about 2hrs or time to complete. Not even hard except for some spots but now my car doesn't leak nor do I worry about busting hoses. A used rad in mint condition cost me 60$ and at the same time I got a new clutch fan, which only took 30 minutes to swap in and out.

Getting used things that work perfectly fine will save you thousands. Source the used, swap them over with the broken, and get new things like seals or w/e is needed that absolutely needs to be new. Everyone is parting out BMW's so finding parts will not be hard.

Just my 2cents.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #37
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
So have I - From Ferrari's to Z4's to M6's to all kinds of Porsche's.

A 3 series BMW doesn't entrall me to the road. Now if you go higher, M5's, M6's, etc that different, but it's also WELL out of the same price range, so you'd expect different.
Either your opion of what a real car should handle like is off or your talking out your ass trying to envoke and piss off people that 3 series don't handle.

Any BMW will out handle your Acura.

You know nothing about true performance driving if you think 5,6, and higher cars out perform the 3's at the limit. If this were true everyone including the factory teams have been running the wrong cars at the track for the last 30 years.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #38
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Either your opion of what a real car should handle like is off or your talking out your ass trying to envoke and piss off people that 3 series don't handle.

Any BMW will out handle your Acura.

You know nothing about true performance driving if you think 5,6, and higher cars out perform the 3's at the limit. If this were true everyone including the factory teams have been running the wrong cars at the track for the last 30 years.
Your on a steamroller rampage Richie ahaha...

But I agree with you on this, a 3 series can handle very well, let alone if you upgrade the suspension and such. Out of about 100different cars I've got to drive in my short life span, I love how my E30 performs even though it's the roughest E30 in Canada (that's on the road).
Old 10-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #39
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post
I'll agree with this statement -- BMWs are wonderful to drive, when they're right. The TL is good to drive, not great, but rarely breaks (save for the automatic transaxle).

The two TLs that I looked at were not perfect, but were decent -- they had flaws like any other used car. One had a troubling problem with the power windows, the other had everything working, but looked like it had scraped something along the right side -- a bit of a wow in the paint on the door. This was the dealer that, when I asked for a rough idea how much I could get for mine in trade, refused to take the car as there would be no money in it for them.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #40
carjoe
6th Gear Member

If you're inclined to keep the car, I'm offering up my garage and a day on a weekend. I don't have a ton of tools but I do have a space for you to work.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #41
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
If you're inclined to keep the car, I'm offering up my garage and a day on a weekend. I don't have a ton of tools but I do have a space for you to work.
That's a truly kind offer right there.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #42
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
He's ranting about the car constantly breaking down. When things are breaking faster then he can fix them, it's not easy. Some folks don't the money to keep pouring and pouring. I feel his pain as I went through it...
^^This.

I've been through it, and it sucks. Anyone who drives a 540 knows it's a constant battle, and there's always a "to-do" list.

It's a fantastic car when things are working perfectly (hence why I still have mine), but every time something breaks, I go through the same thing as Phil, and consider something else, but then I fix it, and take it for a thrashing, and fall back in love with it, so I can definitely understand your dilemma.

My biggest issue is that the things that break always seem to be things that shouldn't break.

Eurostyle, I'm sorry to say, but you're off base with your conclusions about lack of maintenance being the issue. First, I know first hand that Phil maintains his car properly. Second, anyone that knows me, knows I meticulously maintain my cars, including my 540, and yet no matter how much I maintain my car, and preventatively replace items that "might break", shit still breaks on this car. It's definitely not a maintenance issue. Hell I had an expansion tank start leaking less than 6 months after replacing it, and it's failure was due to a crack right along the seam quite obviously from a manufacturing defect. No amount of maintenance would have helped that.

Phil, Sorry to hear about the problems, you have my sympathies. Hope you stick around in the BMW community, but knowing everything you've been through, I fully understand if you were to move on to something else. Good luck man
Old 10-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #43
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Aren't you supposed to be changing a wheel bearing or something Chromius? Get off the innernet.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #44
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Aren't you supposed to be changing a wheel bearing or something Chromius? Get off the innernet.
Haha...I was just thinking that. Once I get over my lazyness I'm gonna head out and tackle it.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #45
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Ok, i'm sorry...

BMW is the worst car because i cant drive it with a coolant leak...
Pardon? I said that this car has been my worst car with respect to reliability. Not that BMWs are bad cars. Heck, even not all BMWs are this bad; some are very good. But this one has been almost nothing but trouble.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: