Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #16
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I hate to hear problems like these. I'm sorry for your troubles. I must also say that many of these things creep up with this type of car with this type of age. IMO, the 3 series are the bimmers to own unless you have the $ and time to deal with issues. E30's and E36's have their own issues but if you buy a clean well kept one, then it's just change the oil and cover all of the usual maintenance for inexpensive dd'ing. No one abuses their e30 more than me. (not that I'm proud of it) I track my car 10-15 days a year, autocross 8 times a year, tow a trailer at least 40 times a year, and put on over 1000 km/week. The car is a 1991 325i that just rolled 300 000 km. It has not been perfect nor is it currently perfect, but anything I've repaired so far has been reasonable inexpensive, and very easy car to work on myself. It also helps to surround yourself with knowledgeable friends who either have parts in stock or know where to get them fast and cheap. Not to mention are willing to help at a moments notice. I feel very fortunate to be part of this and must say that no newer car would put up with this abuse nor be as cheap to run, not to mention I go 700km/tank with a mark d chip and 91 octane gas. No complaints here. I have a friend with an Integra who is jealous of my fuel mileage. I almost bought a 540i a number of years ago, but did my research and realised I wasn't ready for that yet. Costs and quirks weren't for me yet. I will still one day own an e39 M5 but until I could afford the issues and have a second back up car I will not take the dive. Hang in there, and if you do decide to replace the 5er, get an e36 328, same driving pleasure less troubles and definitely cheaper to run.

Just my two cents......

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #17
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
I think that I might have sorted out the reason for my high NOx reading -- my coolant was low (I have a leaking expansion tank). This is one of the reasons I saw listed on my web research, so I might be able to coax a pass by changing that tank, or just topping up the coolant, and doing some stuff like cleaning the MAF and changing the air filter. I blew comfortably clean on everything else.

For a car to last, and be anywhere close to reliable, you HAVE to maintain it...When you have a leaking coolant system, i am scared to think what else was overlooked on your car!

I see it all the time, not long ago a customer caused $1300 of damage by not changing a fan clutch!!! All could have been avoided (and he was told so!) with less then $100...

Some of the best cars i owned are high KM, but well taken care of; my 330 has 240K and my Expedition 430K, both super reliable!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #18
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
I've been eying a ginormous SUV in the last couple of weeks. A Durango or Expedition would be pretty awesome.
I love my Expedition, but the cost of parts is just as much (sometimes MORE) then a BMW!!! Unless you have a purpos for it, fuel cost will make you cry...Even with the small V8, i'm looking at $10K+year if i DD it...

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #19
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
That said, my E30 was having troubles one day, so I had to take my E34. When I pulled out of the driveway there was a 5' oil slick. The diff emptied.

I pulled back in the driveway, got out, threw the keys at the drivers side window and yelled "**** YOU" at the E34. I leased a new car a few days later. I feel your pain.

However, in retrospect, I feel I made a hasty decision.
how dare you treat an E34 like that
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #20
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Philboski, go to NAPA and get a can of seafoam. Pour half in your nearly empty tank and suck the other half up an intake vacuum line while the car is running. My numbers in the E30 went from marginally passing the year before to passing like a new car. It will work.
That work for the NO reading? I blew clean on everything else.

I have a feeling it might be due to the cooling system having a leak, and being on low coolant from time to time.

I'll try the Seafoam though. That, a new air filter, and a clean MAF might help.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #21
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
For a car to last, and be anywhere close to reliable, you HAVE to maintain it...When you have a leaking coolant system, i am scared to think what else was overlooked on your car!
I am frustrated with my vehicle -- I don't think that this gives you license to insult me.

I maintain my cars very well, thank you very much. It's just that maintaining it constantly, with other items needing maintaining as each one is fixed is getting to me -- hell, it's already gotten to me. With the amount I have spent on this car, purchase and repairs all in, I could have bought a pretty good new car. This has been BY FAR the most unreliable car I have owned. I have done the intake manifold gasket/valley pan job, had to get the timing chain guides replaced after one broke ($2300 at a labour rate of $65/hour -- 10 hours plus parts), replacing the cats, as well as shocks and struts.

Now I am facing a cooling system job, new centre link and tie rods, new rear ball joints (because if you're going to align it, make sure everything is tip-top) replacing the Sachs struts that gave up after 45,000 kms (free under warranty -- if I send them back to BavAuto to get a new set of Sachs ), on top of a couple of minor items. I don't have a garage, and I don't fit under cars easily. In parts alone, I am looking at roughly 25 percent of the vehicle's value, and that percent rises if you're looking to trade (one place I asked today said they wouldn't even take it).

So now I am thinking that maybe it's time to move on (I haven't decided yet, and money is a factor) to something that will relieve a serious source of stress in my life, and you're impugning my car care habits? I invite you, sir, to get bent.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #22
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Yeah, eurostyle, that's a little over the top.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #23
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
It would haul all of your BMW parts!

I have been eyeing an Acura TL or going the other direction and getting a Mazda3 (both used). They don't feel as "special," but then they likely won't feel like a never ending pain in the butt either.
I did exactly that after my '99 323i cost me $10K in 18 months. Bought a 2002 Acura 3.2TL - Traded it 2 years ago for a 2006 Acura TL. Now I'm thinkin' of the new one! LOL...

NO major issues at ALL with my Acura's - Normal stuff like brakes, etc.

I have fun in my TL - it's nice having ALL the amenities. I have Navi/bluetooth/the works...

Go for it!

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #24
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post
Damn, time to sell and get a something more reliable. Acura parts, especially TL can be really expensive, but I'm sure they are generally more reliable than a BMW.
Say what in the who now?

Expensive is relative. More expensive then a similar year/make BMW? Highly doubt that. And yes - I have one, and I don't know. Know why? I haven't needed any parts!!

Definitely more reliable. Those who give the story about "the driving experience" blah blah blah are making themselves feel better. My driving experience is much better, however I do have a slight pain in the left butt cheek... oh wait... That's my money still in my wallet...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #25
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
I am frustrated with my vehicle -- I don't think that this gives you license to insult me.

I maintain my cars very well, thank you very much. It's just that maintaining it constantly, with other items needing maintaining as each one is fixed is getting to me -- hell, it's already gotten to me. With the amount I have spent on this car, purchase and repairs all in, I could have bought a pretty good new car. This has been BY FAR the most unreliable car I have owned. I have done the intake manifold gasket/valley pan job, had to get the timing chain guides replaced after one broke ($2300 at a labour rate of $65/hour -- 10 hours plus parts), replacing the cats, as well as shocks and struts.

Now I am facing a cooling system job, new centre link and tie rods, new rear ball joints (because if you're going to align it, make sure everything is tip-top) replacing the Sachs struts that gave up after 45,000 kms (free under warranty -- if I send them back to BavAuto to get a new set of Sachs ), on top of a couple of minor items. I don't have a garage, and I don't fit under cars easily. In parts alone, I am looking at roughly 25 percent of the vehicle's value, and that percent rises if you're looking to trade (one place I asked today said they wouldn't even take it).

So now I am thinking that maybe it's time to move on (I haven't decided yet, and money is a factor) to something that will relieve a serious source of stress in my life, and you're impugning my car care habits? I invite you, sir, to get bent.
I was not trying to insult you, just stating the obvious! Sorry if it hurts.

Asking me to get bent, please, are we 10 years old here!? But whatever...

Fact is, if your car is leaking coolant, you should NOT drive it, PERIOD!!! Maybe overheating would come as a surprise, but its not BMW's problem you didnt want to fix it. Show me ONE car, that will take that kind of abuse, and...well, maybe you should just buy that car!

Again, this was not ment to be an insult to you, just a rant about people that dont fix things, and expect it last forever...Timing chain guides being the perfect example; did you have them replaced at the regular interval before they broke?

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #26
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
I did exactly that after my '99 323i cost me $10K in 18 months. Bought a 2002 Acura 3.2TL - Traded it 2 years ago for a 2006 Acura TL. Now I'm thinkin' of the new one! LOL...

NO major issues at ALL with my Acura's - Normal stuff like brakes, etc.

I have fun in my TL - it's nice having ALL the amenities. I have Navi/bluetooth/the works...

Go for it!

Deep
BUT i guess we have a better forum, for you to be hanging here so long!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 10-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #27
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I was not trying to insult you, just stating the obvious! Sorry if it hurts.

Asking me to get bent, please, are we 10 years old here!? But whatever...

Fact is, if your car is leaking coolant, you should NOT drive it, PERIOD!!! Maybe overheating would come as a surprise, but its not BMW's problem you didnt want to fix it. Show me ONE car, that will take that kind of abuse, and...well, maybe you should just buy that car!

Again, this was not ment to be an insult to you, just a rant about people that dont fix things, and expect it last forever...Timing chain guides being the perfect example; did you have them replaced at the regular interval before they broke?
He's ranting about the car constantly breaking down. When things are breaking faster then he can fix them, it's not easy. Some folks don't the money to keep pouring and pouring. I feel his pain as I went through it...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #28
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
BUT i guess we have a better forum, for you to be hanging here so long!
Nothing local on the Acura side that's as big... All in the US.

Take a look at my posts - It ain't like I'm all that active anymore...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #29
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Yeah, eurostyle, that's a little over the top.
Ok, i'm sorry...

BMW is the worst car because i cant drive it with a coolant leak...

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 10-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #30
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Philboski looking threw your past posts IMHO you have contributed to the maxbimmer community brilliantly either threw your negative or positive experiences witch I believe warrants a push in any direction from the BMW community that will make you happy even if it means dropping your BMW... best of luck in your search for automobile serenity
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: