Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #16
Steve30
Techno Viking
 
Steve30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 1,694
^ you are correct. Conclusion: Best exhaust for an E36 is an S50 or S54 Swap

Let us all enjoy this video now.

__________________



E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #17
BimmerDriver
Estoril Blau Member
 
BimmerDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 85
Send a message via MSN to BimmerDriver
You guys must be talking about after market exhaust cause my gf's mom's 328i e36 with stock exhaust doesn't scream nearly as nice or as loud as my m3 which also has stock exhaust
BimmerDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #18
doogee
Stance is Gay.
 
doogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ancaster
Posts: 3,418
Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDriver View Post
You guys must be talking about after market exhaust cause my gf's mom's 328i e36 with stock exhaust doesn't scream nearly as nice or as loud as my m3 which also has stock exhaust
They have different exhausts...
__________________


Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #19
BimmerDriver
Estoril Blau Member
 
BimmerDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 85
Send a message via MSN to BimmerDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
They have different exhausts...
Hence they sound differently
BimmerDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #20
yellowfever3
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 160
i think ive come to the conclusion that im gonna put some money into speed instead...as much as i want the car loud, i want it quiet. car sounds awesome with the stock exhaust. so i think im gonna put the $1000 it costs for basically any exhaust and get some real performance work. thanks for all the input.
and the reason why i was so picky about an exhaust is because i want to get away from that civic sound. even when i had a civic i made sure it didnt sound like one. and most 3 series ive heard on the street, e36 and e46 sound like a civic with an exhaust on it. To me, the money thats spent on an exhaust for the street isnt worth the power gain.

Last edited by yellowfever3; 10-07-2010 at 12:20 PM.
yellowfever3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #21
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali
 
ACS_DAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: OJ Didn't Do it.
Posts: 1,298
Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
I think the Borla system sounds quite lovely.

=p
__________________

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #22
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,368
You guys are all smoking some good shit.
Without major mods S54 is one of the worst sounding engines out there. That raspy sound is just horrible.

S50B30 sounds pretty much the same as M5x/S5xUS, except it can rev higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEZ4Sbhd5q8#t=3m22s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ULey...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItG9qY7A4OI#t=0m10s
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #23
craz azn
6th Gear Member
 
craz azn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 7,363
Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Nahhh Vlad, you sir are smoking the good stuff. You are saying that your car in that first AutoX video sounds the same as Charlies E36?!! Euro S50s sound way more raspy, metallic, and not near as much bass as a US spec M/S5x. Ironically, your car makes the same deep, truck sound I was describing earlier.

Randy's car is a bit of a different example because it has headers and a fairly large dual pipe system. Most of the sound difference is a result of the headers, like I mentioned before. I would assume it revved a bit higher than stock, which is why blended all together it sounded really good
__________________

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #24
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
You guys are all smoking some good shit.
Without major mods S54 is one of the worst sounding engines out there. That raspy sound is just horrible.
+infinity*2 In fact, I can't think of a decent sounding S54 WITH major mods (except maybe a turbo to shut it the hell up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
S50B30 sounds pretty much the same as M5x/S5xUS, except it can rev higher.
Also agreed. I saw that video many times before I met Charlie, and it wasn't until I saw the car that I realized it's an S50.

Rudy, I don't know what kind of trucks you've been hanging around. I'd take the sound of a 24v any day over the sound of a camel getting raped that comes out of an M20 being wound up. Now go buy an S52.
__________________
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #25
craz azn
6th Gear Member
 
craz azn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 7,363
Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Rudy, I don't know what kind of trucks you've been hanging around. I'd take the sound of a 24v any day over the sound of a camel getting raped that comes out of an M20 being wound up. Now go buy an S52.
Ford Ranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63J4v...eature=related

BMW E36 3.0L: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucqZzTII0rI
OR (even better): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGiWN...eature=related

You can't honestly tell me there's nothing similar about the two. That is what I think about when I hear E36 and non-stock exhaust in the same sentence/subject, etc.

PS. I don't need an S52 to go fast all you guys need all the help you can get at the racetrack to catch up to meeee lol j/k... but srsly.
__________________

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #26
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,117
Nah man sorry, other than both sounding like car engines (well the last video is just mic overload, no car sounds), I hear nothing in common, and I'm trying hard to be objective.

Oh you don't? Where'd you finish at CSCS? Besides, since when has this hobby had anything to do with "need"? You know you wannit!!!!
__________________
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #27
craz azn
6th Gear Member
 
craz azn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 7,363
Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Nah man sorry, other than both sounding like car engines (well the last video is just mic overload, no car sounds), I hear nothing in common, and I'm trying hard to be objective.

Oh you don't? Where'd you finish at CSCS? Besides, since when has this hobby had anything to do with "need"? You know you wannit!!!!
Oh no you di'int! Its on, time to throw down... CSCS spring 2011?
__________________

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #28
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Oh no you di'int! Its on, time to throw down... CSCS spring 2011?
You're on! With 750hp and 305 slicks maybe I'll be able to hang!
__________________
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #29
gotcurry
3rd Gear Member
 
gotcurry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 397
Wow... Im gunna have to disagree.. I have a 328 with a supersprint and anyone who has heard my car on here would disagree with u aswell. Stroumongs on e36s sound crisp aswell. It kinda bothers me that u wud compare it with rangers and rams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. E36s sound like friggin' trucks with an exhaust. Sounds like a ford ranger or ai dodge ram with falling off/non existant mufflers. Even the big UPS trucks sound similar! I hate them, and always will. Part of the reason I will never do a 24v motor swap to my E30.

Only way an M/S5x motor can redeem itself for sound is with lots of fancy cams, compression, good choice of headers and no cats. IMHO of course
J
Otherwise, stock is where its at!
gotcurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #30
sproule905
6th Gear Member
 
sproule905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Landing
Posts: 1,326
OEM M3 exhaust... end thread... have to agree with Doogee on the aftermarkets sounding fake
__________________

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.