Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #46
noid
5th Gear Member

If your looking for quality, and dont mind spending extra money, then I would look into finding a place outside of ontario/maybe even Canada that would refinish them; shipping a couple rims really isnt that expensive.

I would ask around on other forums till you find someone that is 100% confident they can match the color, there must be someone.
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #47
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's

Well for refinishing I am satisfied with going to Carcones Auto Recycling, but they advised that they can not strip chrome in house.

That is why I am asking if anyone has had any chrome stripped by an electroplator in or around the GTA. I've got a number from Carcones for someone in Kitchener, but want to know if there is someone closer
Old 01-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #48
yellowfever3
2nd Gear Member

Well through my work we deal with these guys http://www.mobilewheelrepair.ca/
I gave them one of my LTW rims to refinish. Came out looking great, machined then cleared. but the clear started peeling 2 months later. now im battling them for warranty. it took them like over a month to get my one rim done too. kinda BS. costed me $125 and im not satisfied at all. But i still have to deal with them for the warranty. But ive heard of a place in the west end that is apparently the best. when i find the place, i'll post it.
yellowfever3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #49
richmak
4th Gear Member

Terry and 740-iLL, whenever you guys decide to go back to Carcones I could go with you both. I have a set of 18" RGRs (in hypersilver) that I'd like to refinish. Let's see if 12 wheels would get us a little bit of discount (I doubt it though).
richmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #50
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmak View Post
Terry and 740-iLL, whenever you guys decide to go back to Carcones I could go with you both. I have a set of 18" RGRs (in hypersilver) that I'd like to refinish. Let's see if 12 wheels would get us a little bit of discount (I doubt it though).
I am down! PM me your number so that I may correspond with you when I am going.

Still looking for an electroplater to strip the chrome off my wheels first
Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #51
richmak
4th Gear Member

740-iLL, I PMed you with my contact yesterday.
richmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #52
E36is
'OldSchool..'

hey if you guys are still in the process of getting prices, i'd like to join you as well, i have a set of alpinas i'd like to get refinished in hypersilver too, let me know.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #53
chevale
2nd Gear Member

I have a set of wheels as well I might consider repairing, depending on price. PMd to 740-iLL
chevale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #54
chevale
2nd Gear Member

I contacted The Wheel Fix for quote (painting complete job) so it it $175 per wheel, $50 for tires remounting/balance and $30 for pick-up/drop-down.
Ouch....

Last edited by chevale; 05-05-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #55
MarkD
Banned

WheelFix totally f@cked up an M-Parallel with 4 tries, till I tossed it. Save your money and don't go there.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #56
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

So i never followed up through with it. I might be refinishing my wheels myself in gunmetal if I ever decide to go through the hassle. I already scratched another one of them while parking. I can't imagine how pissed I would have been had it been refinished.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #57
N!K
1st Gear Newbie

I can get rims powder coated. Will pick up and drop off. If there is any interest I'll get you a full colour panel.

Powder coat pricing is $80-$100/rim depending on colour. Waiting time for a completion of work order is 7 business days.

PM is the key

Also I could plate it for you as well (chrome, black chrome, brass). However I'll have to verify a few things about plating in terms of durability and pricing.

Unfortunately I can not straighten the rims as I don't have the equipment to do so. I'm just a wrought iron guy

Nik.
N!K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #58
chevale
2nd Gear Member

I thought about powder-coating, but was reading that temperature treatment while curing might weaken aluminum rims? Any info about it?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #59
N!K
1st Gear Newbie

We had a few rims done, from our experience we didn't notice any difference in rim quality.

The curing used is not a rapid increase in temperature, it's a gradual process which doesn't stress aluminum. A side from rims we powder coat other aluminum parts used in deferent industries.

I'm not an expert on metal properties and only speak from personal experience.
N!K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #60
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's

Well an update on mine, the wheels are with Kuntz electroplating in Kitchener being stripped, then off to The Wheel Fix for some hub straightening and then finally to Carcones for refinishing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: