Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

The shock is one thing, for sure but if you have a high spring rate, it will reduce the travel for the same amount of force compared to a lower spring, so with high spring rates the shock plays less of a role in comfort.

With 500# springs, the car would 'bang' over a bump with no shock at all; then keep bouncing lol.

Do you find the GCs noisy? Mine clunk like a mofo from the front and I've never been able to figure out why.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #17
everlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Where did my traction in 3rd go???

Oh yeah fall is here
LOL I bet!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #18
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I wish I had traction issues in 3rd gear.... I need to get my turbo car running. Parts came in this week so we'll see what happens this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Do you find the GCs noisy? Mine clunk like a mofo from the front and I've never been able to figure out why.
Can you describe the clunk? You're right, with the 500 springs it is rough over the bumps, I don't like to use the word 'bang' though.... makes me feel like something is broken lol.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #19
everlast

If you've ever heard a blown rear shock mount, that's the sound I have, even over small bumps. I believe its the sound of all the pieces in the strut assembly gently coming apart and going back together again over a bump.. The tiny amount of 'play' in all the components, since they're not under load like a traditional strut, causes everything to clunk.

At least, that's my best guess. I have no bad components or anything, and I've been in another (non-E30) coilover car which did the same thing. Its irritating though.

edit: with 40 or 45 series tires, pavement ridges from road construction or giant pot holes don't "bang", they "SLAM". It sounds like the whole strut tower is going to break. Of course, I have poly everything which doesn't help. :/
Old 09-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #20
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

That's sort of what I was picturing in my head happening. The ride height that my car is set at is very lightly preloading the spring so that helps keep everything in the assembly together when the strut is unloaded. If I were to go lower, I'd probably experience what you're describing

Yeah, I'm glad I have the 55 aspect ratio tires to offer a bit of cushion.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
everlast

I've been thinking of trying a tender spring to see if it helps, which is a light (10#) spring that is long, that compresses fully under load but keeps everything "together" when you go over a bump. They're required by law in Germany actually.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: