Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #31
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Sandbags? You haven't even driven your E30 through a winter yet so how would you know? Last winter was my first time driving my E30 in the winter. I had no problems at all... no sandbags.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #32
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
I never had any sand bags in my e30 in the winter.

They are perfectly capable winter cars provided you don't try and go through huge snow drifts (at low speed)

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #33
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

if youre worried about sandbangs.......

you should be worried about driving 5 spd in the winter. bad things can happen if you dont drive 5 spd 'correctly' in the winter.

get good snow tires and you're good. i did all seasons (not new) and got away with it. my problem was the 5 spd part because if you work that clutch wrong....helloooooo wipe out
Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #34
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

if youre worried about sandbangs.......

you should be worried about driving 5 spd in the winter. bad things can happen if you dont drive 5 spd 'correctly' in the winter.

get good snow tires and you're good. i did all seasons (not new) and got away with it. my problem was the 5 spd part because if you work that clutch wrong....helloooooo wipe out
Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #35
defaultName
5th Gear Member

I never had any issues when I drove my E30 in the winter.

It was a vert and I had a hardtop on it, so that added some weight but no sandbags or anything... And winter tires are a must!
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #36
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
I was thinking winter terms. I know the E30 sucks without a couple sandbags in the trunk to weight it down. I'm hoping maybe the E36 is different. I want something I can drive in winter and not worry about doing donuts everytime I turn a corner.
Wha????? The e30 is one of the most capable cars I've ever driven in the snow/winter! No sandbags required. I have an LSD and I bought used snow tires, and what an awesome car in the snow.

On a different topic actually some experts are under the opinion that sandbags do more harm to winter driving than without. The added weight in the trunk may help you get going a little bit, but that added weight also adds inertia when you are trying to turn (think pendulum) and weight always hinders braking performance regardless of the situation., So it really depends what you put more emphasis on.........going, stopping, or turning. You cant necessarily have your cake and eat it too.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #37
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I've spent one winter with an e30 open diff, one with an LSD

One winter e36 open and one LSD

all with snow tires had no problem with traction or braking

Was comuting to work from Oshawa to etobikoe, and never had a problem, even in deeper snow, they seem not to plow as much after 10pm and I would be heading home at midnight on the 401

One night driving home with the e30 318is, the wife was driving our Chevrolet tahoe sport 4x4 and I was able to get up snowy hills and around turns and made it home b4 her. And this was in 6 inch deep snow. Winter driving is all car control and smart driving, and it doesn't matter how fast you can get traction, most accedents are from braking or turning actions, which weight is the disadvantage or drivers going to fast for the conditions.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #38
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys, the winter part really scares me. I don't know what to expect, so hearing that you guys made it out fine makes me a more confident. I've only been driving my 5spd for a couple months, but I can manage a crawling start so I think I'll be ok in the long run from the sounds of things. This was the only real sway in my thinking of getting an SUV. Something that I'm used to driving in the winter. Never driven a 5psd let alone a rwd car in the winter. Lucky my work is about a 10 minute commute and it only involves 4 corners ahahha.

Btw, I will still be looking for a E36 since I've read that the early E46's has subframe issues. Hopefully I can get something going next year around summer time.

Once again, thanks for the input!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #39
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

All Cars have issues, I just dropped the rear sub frame outa one of my e36's. 2 of the mounting points came out with it. I'll be welding them back in and ordered the m3 reinforcement plates to weld in as well. Car underside is solid as hell but it's comon to happen with hard driving!

The joys of an older car I guess!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #40
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
All Cars have issues, I just dropped the rear sub frame outa one of my e36's. 2 of the mounting points came out with it. I'll be welding them back in and ordered the m3 reinforcement plates to weld in as well. Car underside is solid as hell but it's comon to happen with hard driving!

The joys of an older car I guess!
I just don't have the tools nor the place to do any work like that since I'm renting a apartment in Ottawa. (Change of life ect.) So getting a place like my parents back in Oshawa is quite the trip if I need some major repairs or the costs of taking it to a shop will add up quickly. I'm not afraid of doing that kind of work but it all comes done to tools and space, and both of which, I do not have
Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #41
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
I always thought rx7 ish
I was thinking 1990ish Toyota Celica?

From Eyesore to Heat Score
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #42
dannyb
4th Gear Member

Steve I have space in my garage if you need to fix something.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #43
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
Steve I have space in my garage if you need to fix something.
Ahaha thanks man. I'm going back to Oshawa thanksgiving weekend. So I'll be using the tools then to fix my seat and brakes and whatever else I can think of before I have to head back here on Monday.

Thanks btw.. I still haven't had time to call Denny and see when he's free to check things out. Hopefully this weekend will be better.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #44
dannyb
4th Gear Member

Were putting his engine back in on wednesday, you should come by. well if you need to work on your car just pm me or w-e, i have cars coming in on a daily basis, wouldnt mind working on another e30
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #45
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Well after a bit, I'll need a new sunroof and the extra's that go with it. It started leaking today I think my strip is slowly going, it's fine sitting, but anything over 20km, the water works its way in

I'll give Denny a call wednesday for sure then. I'd love to drop by and see this in person!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: