Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
330Hi
4th Gear Member

Lightbulb BMW to recall 350,000 luxury cars

-----

BMW has announced it will recall about 350,000 luxury cars worldwide because of a problem with brakes.

The German firm said the recall was due to a fault with the power-braking system but the cars were not unsafe.

The recall affects V8 and V12-powered BMW 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, and Rolls-Royce models produced between July 2001 and November 2009.

Of the total, 11,427 cars - including 905 Rolls-Royces - are in the UK, and 198,000 in the US.

Globally, 348,000 BMWs are affected, plus a further 5,800 Rolls-Royces.
'Voluntary' decision

"In the affected vehicles, a leak may develop in the power braking system, potentially causing a vacuum loss and consequent reduction of power braking assistance," said the company in a statement.

However, mechanical braking is still available to slow and stop the vehicle, and there have been no reported accidents or injuries.

A BMW spokesman told the BBC that the problem was identified via feedback from routine vehicle servicing, and that the recall is entirely voluntary.

BMW's share price dropped 3% following the news, to below 50 euros.

However, the company's stock remains well up for the year, having rallied from a price of 30 euros in March.

The news comes a day after the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it was investigating a potential power steering problem with the Mini - another brand owned by BMW.

It also comes a day after BMW's chairman, Norbert Reithofer, had his contract extended by six years.

-----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11452486

---------------------
330Hi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

Thanx for the heads up. ill take my rolls in today to have it checked out.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
johnoz
/OO=[][]=OO\

How do we find out if my car is affected? Is there a place I put in VIN online to check?
johnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoz View Post
How do we find out if my car is affected? Is there a place I put in VIN online to check?
"The recall affects V8 and V12-powered BMW 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, and Rolls-Royce models produced between July 2001 and November 2009"

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Blocked_Out
Banned

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

My best friend had this problem on his 545i (Total Brake assist failure) and literally yesterday put a new brake booster.

I hope BMW Canada will reimburse him.
Blocked_Out is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: