Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
E46PauL
1st Gear Newbie

Intro - former japanese fan!! lol

hey guys i might be bugging you for questions soon but i will try and contribute in return!! i recently bought an 04 330ci with 184000 kms on it. 6 speed m package...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2004/0...-bmw-330ci.htm

well here is a link to my exact car with out the power seat option. i formerly owned a 95 240sx with lotsof mods, and ive owned 2 turbo Z31s, an MR2 JDM civic, ect. ect. I love my japanese cars and all, but the bimmer takes the cake!

the german engineering is amazing, and i get an amazing deal on parts cause im in the industry, the parts are far cheaper than my nissan, for me at least.

anyway car handles great, i recently changed 2 control arm bushings, spark plugs, pollen and air filter change, filled nitrogen in my tires. gonna get my bumper repainted and the whole car touched up. the other day i got code P0178 i believe it said to replace my thermostat so i plan to do that with the housing really soon. ive also noticed a small coolant leak, i have to top up about 1L every month on coolant, my friend said his cousin had a coolant overflow leak, you guys heard of this?

Ive also been using Mann oil filters and total oil, by elf. full synthetic, on my last purchase i asked the guy for 3W 30 but they gave me 5W 40. there was a bimmer logo stamped on the back so i used it, also figuring it was warmer weather but any feedback would be appreciated!

so the bimmer smokes all my japanese cars in braking, ride quality and over all build quality. i love how it eats the bumps and spits out the corners. i would love to take this car to the local track, as i used to track my s14, but im not rich!! lol

anyway thanks in advance to all advise!!!

PauL
E46PauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Check out the Trillium Chapter of the BMW car club of Canada (http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/) for affordable opportunities to track and auto-x your car.

Welcome and enjoy...
nonlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
E46PauL
1st Gear Newbie

again, i would love to track this car but i am worried about my clutch, 194 xxx km on car, clutch feels good but i will kill it on the track. brakes and tires too, i was kinda hoping for my michelin pilots on my 18s will last me another season. i do have 2 extra sets of rims with no rubber, one for winter and maybe my steelies for track?

i signed up on that site and will come out and check out the events, thanks for the link!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

you should use the BMW Castrol 5W-30 oil. If you don't, make sure you're using an A3/B3 approved LL-01 oil.
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
DYMO
JDM soul

haha a fellow convert!

welcome to teh club. i agree with euro cars being much better than JDM ones... too bad we pay the premium on costs tho

what jap cars have you owned?
DYMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
hamant
2nd Gear Member

well, you've comparing a lot newer car to what, a blown 4, a b16 (im assuming you were running a b16 in the civic) and some really old 300zx's

not really a fair comparison

I mean if you wanted to compare your 330ci to i don't know, i G35 or a 350Z (staying with the theme) i think they would be more up your alley.
I peronally wouldn't bother taking the 330 to the track, not yet anyways, figure out the coolant leak and replace your clutch with a heavier one and knock yourself out

i like my bmw, but i don't love it.... its been dead realiable and its somewhat (underline) fun to drive, but my 300zx (z32) puts a bigger grin on my face..

im thinking what my next car should be, either a E36 M3, a E46 M3, a Nissan 350Z or a G35, or a GTI....

will either keep my bmw as a winter car (i know, not the best choice) or sell it

anyways, welcome to the world of E46!
hamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
E46PauL
1st Gear Newbie

you guys ever heard of auto camping? just curious....

i noticed the oil cap on my motor has castrol stamped on it, i suppose i will try it on my next oil change. 5w 40 not recommended i guess, dont know why they gave it to me when i asked for 30

thanks for the tip when do u recommend tranny and diff fluid changes, i noticed its stamped WS on the components but im pretty sure no fluid is lifetime. also brands?

on the rare occasion i have to drop it into 2nd to engage 1st gear, i figure its a tranny fluid issue (hopefully not a synchro). how long do these clutches last under normal driving? i got the car 5 months ago with 184xxx KM on it and the clutch feels good, not sure if it was changed or not. no slipping ect either.

also my fuel economy isnt as good as everyone wlse is posting up here. ill get 600 if i use mainly highway, but i am a city driver and get maybe 450km on a full tank using shell 91. i recently switched to ultra 94 but my fuel economy didnt really improve for the price difference. should i try injector flush? and should i hook the machine straight to the injectors or just use a gas tank additive?

thanks again guys, this car is amazing on the highways!!!

OEM Style 313
Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
hamant
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46PauL View Post
you guys ever heard of auto camping? just curious....

i noticed the oil cap on my motor has castrol stamped on it, i suppose i will try it on my next oil change. 5w 40 not recommended i guess, dont know why they gave it to me when i asked for 30

thanks for the tip when do u recommend tranny and diff fluid changes, i noticed its stamped WS on the components but im pretty sure no fluid is lifetime. also brands?

on the rare occasion i have to drop it into 2nd to engage 1st gear, i figure its a tranny fluid issue (hopefully not a synchro). how long do these clutches last under normal driving? i got the car 5 months ago with 184xxx KM on it and the clutch feels good, not sure if it was changed or not. no slipping ect either.
also my fuel economy isnt as good as everyone wlse is posting up here. ill get 600 if i use mainly highway, but i am a city driver and get maybe 450km on a full tank using shell 91. i recently switched to ultra 94 but my fuel economy didnt really improve for the price difference. should i try injector flush? and should i hook the machine straight to the injectors or just use a gas tank additive?

thanks again guys, this car is amazing on the highways!!!
im still on OEM at 268 000 Km... no slipping, so you might be ok.. just treat it nice, don't flutter it if you don't have to.

450 seems a bit on the low side... how are your tire pressures? running stock rims?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
E46PauL
1st Gear Newbie

and i was actually shopping around for a g35/ 250z/ is 250/350 (i work for toyota so wanted to stay loyal) lol

driven in a bunch of 350zs, they are nice but a bit too common. the ride quality is no comparison, i tihnk ive come of age where the balls out sports car gets me into too much trouble. the bimmer keeps me in check, but im pretty sure the nissans will blow me outta the water, stock vs. stock.

the turbo z32s are sweet, but pretty high on maintenance and a bitch to work on. but they are pretty cars with alot of balls to back em up.

im pretty happy with my purchase and got a steal of a price for it and the parts for this car are peanuts compared to the japanese with my discount in both cases. the cornering in this car is great with little suspension slop, i have no rattles and my shocks are still good for the high mileage. these cars are built with a level of quality the new jap cars havent reached (and i drive in infiniti and lexus' all day). i still believe the japs rule for anything that ends in "ical", economical, practical, ect. ect.

but i wanted the ultimate driving machine, ill move up to an M or porche in my near future....

cheers guys thanks for the advice, Dymo read my first post for a list of cars ive owned, oh, put a vr6 passat 5 speed on that list too.

OEM Style 313
Old 09-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
DYMO
JDM soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamant View Post
well, you've comparing a lot newer car to what, a blown 4, a b16 (im assuming you were running a b16 in the civic) and some really old 300zx's

not really a fair comparison

I mean if you wanted to compare your 330ci to i don't know, i G35 or a 350Z (staying with the theme) i think they would be more up your alley.
I peronally wouldn't bother taking the 330 to the track, not yet anyways, figure out the coolant leak and replace your clutch with a heavier one and knock yourself out

i like my bmw, but i don't love it.... its been dead realiable and its somewhat (underline) fun to drive, but my 300zx (z32) puts a bigger grin on my face..

im thinking what my next car should be, either a E36 M3, a E46 M3, a Nissan 350Z or a G35, or a GTI....

will either keep my bmw as a winter car (i know, not the best choice) or sell it

anyways, welcome to the world of E46!
to each their own i guess. my previous cars were (in order) R32 GTR, GTiR, S12 and as fast as the first two were, they were pretty boring to drive. now that im driving an E30, things are alot more fun.
DYMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
E46PauL
1st Gear Newbie

hamant im running stock rims, my tire pressure was fine last i checked and i put nitrogen in the tires to keep my pressures even with climate changes. i beat this car up pretty good and dont mind flooring it every now and then, but i do drive cival on most days. but i am not driving for maximum fuel economy, maybe i should try that and give my reading after lol

OEM Style 313
Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
E46PauL
1st Gear Newbie

also hamant have you changed your tranny fluid? have you owned your car since new?

OEM Style 313
Old 09-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
hamant
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYMO View Post
to each their own i guess. my previous cars were (in order) R32 GTR, GTiR, S12 and as fast as the first two were, they were pretty boring to drive. now that im driving an E30, things are alot more fun.
yah, i know... i seem to enjoy older cars for some reason, i guess they feel more "connected" to the road (hence the possibility of an E36 M3)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
hamant
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46PauL View Post
hamant im running stock rims, my tire pressure was fine last i checked and i put nitrogen in the tires to keep my pressures even with climate changes. i beat this car up pretty good and dont mind flooring it every now and then, but i do drive cival on most days. but i am not driving for maximum fuel economy, maybe i should try that and give my reading after lol
have not owned since new, but bought of my friend, so forsure original clutch, the cars been the montreal about 10 times now, Ottawa 3 times (i think, atleast twice with me).

I personally have not changed the tranny fluild since getting the car at 217 000Km, but PO did (can't remember when).

and yah, driving like a bat out of hell is too easy in BMW
but you didn't buy it for fuel economy
Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
E46PauL
1st Gear Newbie

hey guys ok i just checked my oil jug and it says bmw LL-04, i think i read somewhere on this site that the grade should be good? just wanna confirm....

i see alot of guys bithcing on this site about thermostat repalcing and water pump replacing, but looking at the interval this lil bit of maintenance is nothing compared to japs or even doemstics. ive seen a dodge pos nitro get its water pump changed at 12000 km, and toyotas on average have to replace at 60-80xxx kms. the parts on the bimmer are overbuilt, and im not sure why guys bithc about maintenance cars arent bullet proof, wtf?

screw fuel economy i buy cars to enjoy them, which i do.

how long do coil packs last on these rides, on average? i have a really strange misfire only on first start up when engine is cold, car bogs for a split second and then goes away, like a maf sensor or bad coil pack. no stored codes, i would imagine it would throw a code, right?

u guys suggest an in fuel tank injector cleaner or hook up the machine directly to rails?

thanks again!!

PauL

OEM Style 313

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: