Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #31
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

yea the 328 is 190 hp and the m3 is 240... and im pretty sure an m50 mani, software, cams air intake, header n exhaust can get you there..

Also im not saying that u can "make" your car an m3, but u can either make it look like it, or keep up with one. for lower insurance and cheaper maintianence.

Last edited by iverson03tj; 09-17-2010 at 09:43 AM.
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #32
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
I recommended that he gets a bimmer n get involved in the bimmer forums... and im totally talking from my experience... most people in jdm are either brilliant mechanics or some kid that thinks he know it all and can beat any car....

the guy has been a member here for like 6 yrs.... hes pretty involved and already made the decision to get a bmw.

and on top of that your description of "jdm" describes... every car following, including bmw's. (to a point though because that generalized description isnt accurate )
no following is really better than the others. they all have clowns and smart people. though vw certainly is in the lead for stupidness. thats something I think everyone can agree on.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #33
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
yea the 328 is 190 hp and the m3 is 240... and im pretty sure an m50 mani, software, cams air intake, header n exhaust can get you there..

Also im not saying that u can "make" your car an m3, but u can either make it look like it, or keep up with one. for lower insurance and cheaper maintianence.
an e36 m3 isnt a rocket ship, but even those mods you will still be behind. you cant make a 328 an m3. Just like you cant make your integra gsr a type r etc.
Lower insurance...eh maybe depending on how old you are(they arent that much different) i looked into 328's before i got my M so I know what I was quoted. I also drove a car that had said engine mods and it was definitely slower than the car I bought.
cheaper maintenance? how so? part prices are largely the same. the m tax generally applies to aftermarket pieces though a lot of them are similar.
the m3 also has the reinforced subframe which the lower models dont have. that costs more to upgrade and a lot to fix if it breaks. the rest of the car has the same things to look out for.
the engines are both stout pieces themselves....so I am not seeing the lower cost for maintenance.

I think the 328 is a good choice for the OP btw and its a nice ride.
If you want to make it an M, you should just buy the M to begin with. I am glad I did because I wouldve spent all my money buying every M piece I could to throw on the 328...and even then it wouldnt be the M.
If OP doesnt care(which it doesnt seem like he does) then it doesnt even matter.

Last edited by SiR; 09-17-2010 at 04:02 PM.
SiR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #34
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post

the guy has been a member here for like 6 yrs.... hes pretty involved and already made the decision to get a bmw.

and on top of that your description of "jdm" describes... every car following, including bmw's. (to a point though because that generalized description isnt accurate )
no following is really better than the others. they all have clowns and smart people. though vw certainly is in the lead for stupidness. thats something I think everyone can agree on.

Im not saying everyone, im just saying every jdm meet i been too, people act like their car is better than anyone else's, and since honda's are cheap, there are alot of "kids" there, and the people that actually does know there shit usually can not be found in the meets since its a waste of there time to talk to kids that just put in 50 buck air intakes n 17 inch no name rims, a fart cannon and blinding hids... nothing against honda's, as i have owned 4 of them before n made my teg into a type r...

i think most people can agree on that... also the previous owner is just fishing for a car, he never said he wanted a bimmer for sure... just wanted suggestions..

Last edited by iverson03tj; 09-20-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #35
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
an e36 m3 isnt a rocket ship, but even those mods you will still be behind. you cant make a 328 an m3. Just like you cant make your integra gsr a type r etc.
Lower insurance...eh maybe depending on how old you are(they arent that much different) i looked into 328's before i got my M so I know what I was quoted. I also drove a car that had said engine mods and it was definitely slower than the car I bought.
cheaper maintenance? how so? part prices are largely the same. the m tax generally applies to aftermarket pieces though a lot of them are similar.
the m3 also has the reinforced subframe which the lower models dont have. that costs more to upgrade and a lot to fix if it breaks. the rest of the car has the same things to look out for.
the engines are both stout pieces themselves....so I am not seeing the lower cost for maintenance.

I think the 328 is a good choice for the OP btw and its a nice ride.
If you want to make it an M, you should just buy the M to begin with. I am glad I did because I wouldve spent all my money buying every M piece I could to throw on the 328...and even then it wouldnt be the M.
If OP doesnt care(which it doesnt seem like he does) then it doesnt even matter.
General maintainence.. my dads m3 cost alot more in parts... for example... oil change in mine is about 65 bucks using mobil 1 5w-30, he uses european syn oil.. n pays 120 bucks for the oil change...

Also there are many 328's that have close to the m3 hp. Check on bimmer forums..
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=478545

And also i think the i seen on that thread is like 227 rwhp... roughly..

Last edited by iverson03tj; 09-20-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #36
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

north american M3's really are not much better then the 325is or the 328is your paying for the letter over here. unfortantly BMW felt that the american market would not spend $$$ on a true M3 so they built a discount version for our market.

I thought about an M3 e36, but for the money and since most change suspension and brakes and motors who are into these cars, it makes more sence to me to buy a solid 325/328, and take the 4 to 6 grand you would pay for the same year car to get a mint M3 and use that towards mods!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #37
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
My 328 just dynoed 216rwhp

Sooooooo that's actually more power than a US M3. 255 crank with an M52.

Boo ya.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #38
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
m52's and s52's are almost the same. If you compare a real (eurospec) m3 to a 328, then there's no comparison.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #39
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
m52's and s52's are almost the same. If you compare a real (eurospec) m3 to a 328, then there's no comparison.
This.

The S52 is just a bored out M52 lol. Not a real M motor.

IMO, the 328 is a better buy if you're into modifying. I built mine up to something better than an M3 and love it.

I always used to think "Wow I really wish I just got an M3". But now I have an M3 and to be honest, don't really care lol. It isn't special.

A euro on the otherhand...

Old 09-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #40
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
My 328 just dynoed 216rwhp

Sooooooo that's actually more power than a US M3. 255 crank with an M52.

Boo ya.
Wow nice, what are the mods u got? And is there a way to somehow close the 39 hp gap from the crank to the wheels?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #41
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Wow nice, what are the mods u got?
M50 Manifold
AA Software
S50 Cams
AA Track Pipe
Exhaust
Intake (Still convinced doesn't do anything )

I still curious of how much power I could squeeze out of the M52 without going N/A.

Might try Headers and Underdrive pullies or something in the future.

And no it's impossible to have the same amount of power from the crank at the wheels. I don't think any car is capable of that.

Last edited by doogee; 09-20-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #42
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
M50 Manifold
AA Software
S50 Cams
AA Track Pipe
Exhaust
Intake (Still convinced doesn't do anything )

I still curious of how much power I could squeeze out of the M52 without going N/A.

Might try Headers and Underdrive pullies or something in the future.

And no it's impossible to have the same amount of power from the crank at the wheels. I don't think any car is capable of that.

I heard that performance clutch n LTW flywheels does help transfer the power to the tranny, and if ur really extreme... doesnt a carbonfibre driveshaft help too.... Also thats alot of hp u got from those mods... are the s50 cams easier to instal than s52? and why did u use s50 cams, instead of s52?.. just wondering... my next mods for the winter will be the m50 mani n s52 cams.. and markd software.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #43
doogee
Stance is Gay.

I dont have any experience with LTW flywheels so don't have a lot to say about them.

I chose the S50 cams because someone told me their slightly more aggressive. Don't know if that is true or not 100% though.

They aren't easier to install or anything. Same install method as S52 cams.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #44
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Kurt what was the torque numbers??
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #45
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Kurt what was the torque numbers??
I'll let ya know as soon as I get my stupid dyno sheet. It's gone missing!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: