Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #31
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member
 
NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,167


Quote:
Originally Posted by abc12 View Post
how do these newsgroups work? what exactly is it? SSL FTW?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_newsgroup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Sockets_Layer

Basically you're connected to very large and fast servers, and everything you send/receive is encrypted. No one knows what you're doing.
__________________
E36 DYNO TUNING WIRING PARTS
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #32
AMG_POWER
500HP Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 9,691
I cant remember when was last time i downloaded a movie.... I used streaming sites like ninjavideos, when that closed, There's this Russian Facbook like page where people download content its called v kontakte.ru I stream everything from there. good quality 720p too.
__________________
AMG_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #33
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool
 
Dr. Flyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,369
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_newsgroup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Sockets_Layer

Basically you're connected to very large and fast servers, and everything you send/receive is encrypted. No one knows what you're doing.
What's to stop them from joining usenet themselves and seeing a list of connected peers' IPs (like what's happening with bitTorrent). I guess they can't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER View Post
I cant remember when was last time i downloaded a movie.... I used streaming sites like ninjavideos, when that closed, There's this Russian Facbook like page where people download content its called v kontakte.ru I stream everything from there. good quality 720p too.
What's the point of streaming? It still downloads to your computer, the only difference being it lets you watch as you download. So I figure you could still get in shit.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #34
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?
 
bmdbley'sBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in your attic!
Posts: 4,674
Quote:

Where do you draw the line with Canadian Copyright?


Canadian copyright is excessively complex, and makes illegal things which most Canadians don't even believe are illegal when you tell them. Given this complexity and over-coverage, I believe nearly every Canadian infringes copyright many times a week.


There is a line that each of us draws that fits our sense of right and wrong. It sits somewhere between recording a television show to watch later, and mass producing videos to be sold for profit.


Both of these activities are illegal under current Canadian law.

Most Canadians believe the first is a perfectly legitimate activity, even if they are part of that small minority that realize it is illegal in Canada. Most Canadians believe the second is wrong, know it is illegal, and agree it should be illegal.



http://www.digital-copyright.ca/
start reading stuff on this site ^
__________________
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #35
hustler
2nd Gear Member
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 194
I think I'm the only person I know that doesn't steal movies and music. It's kinda late to be trying to enforce anything.
__________________
1998 E39 540i 6 Speed
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #36
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,755
using a dvr that the providers give you is illegal?
lol


megaupload forums
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #37
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
using a dvr that the providers give you is illegal?
lol


megaupload forums
yes very much so actually.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #38
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member
 
NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
What's to stop them from joining usenet themselves and seeing a list of connected peers' IPs (like what's happening with bitTorrent). I guess they can't...
Newsgroups aren't like torrents, you're not downloading from others. You're downloading from a server directly where the file has been uploaded by someone else.
__________________
E36 DYNO TUNING WIRING PARTS
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #39
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,849
also, i think it would be hard to prove in a court of law that you were downloading illegal material from newsgroups (of course they would see it on your hard drive after but thats different).. the reason why is because what you are downloading is not really a file or anything... the news reader is what compiles massive text files of 1010100101001010010100 into something useful.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #40
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member
 
NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
also, i think it would be hard to prove in a court of law that you were downloading illegal material from newsgroups (of course they would see it on your hard drive after but thats different).. the reason why is because what you are downloading is not really a file or anything... the news reader is what compiles massive text files of 1010100101001010010100 into something useful.
That's right, you're just DLing binaries
__________________
E36 DYNO TUNING WIRING PARTS
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015