Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to WesleyVocino
Changing head unit on HK system, same quality?

Hey guys, i have a 2001 330ci, which i just repainted astro black. I will have to post some pics. I wanted to be able to listen to my iPhone in my bimmer so I went out and bought an isimple. I installed it and listened to a song from the isimple then listened to the same song from a cd. I found out that the cd was a much better quality. I returned the isimple and decided to get an alpine head unit. The sales guy at futureshop told me that I would not lose out on the quality by changing my hk head unit, and sold me the wiring harness etc.
I went back to futureshop today because the USB port on the alpine I bought does not work directly with the iPhone. Now I am interested in a pioneer head unit with a 3 inch display that works directly through USB with the iPhone.
I told the sales guy I had a hk system and he said by changing the head unit I will lose out on quality. So now I do not know if I should get the pioneer with the 3 inch display or rebut the isimple.
My question is, do you guys think that changing my head unit from a hk system will make the quality worse? On the original head unit it does not say hk anywhere just sais BMW business unit.
Would you guys change the original head unit or buy an isimple.
I want what ever gives best qualtu!
Thx in advance!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Didn't look up what the isimple is, but this is all you need: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/ipod_...interface.html

Sound quality should be as good as compressed MP3s can get. It will never be CD quality off an iPod, btw.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

Any other opinions? Is the grom superior quality than the isimple? If I remember correctly the isimple plugs into the radio antenna.
To get back to the original question, would changing the hk head unit reduce sound quality
Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
dbworld4k
Addict

No it does not. In fact, most aftermarket head units might give you slightly BETTER sound quality. My old Pioneer flip out had better clarity and vocals than my OEM MP3-capable head unit does; but I'm still satisfied.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

Thx for the info
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
Randy
2nd Gear Member

pioneer head unit *installed properly* will give u great sound quality - i stress the installation because the guys i bought my car from had it all wrong, and it sounded like crap.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyVocino View Post
If I remember correctly the isimple plugs into the radio antenna.
That would be why the sound quality sucks.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
I have the JVC KD-R810 and run my iPod through the rear USB (moved bluetooth to front panel) and it works great. What's the issue you're experiencing? I'd try the JVC for compatability. Better than comparable Alpine specs and includes front panel CD and I can easily remove faceplate; something that can't be done with Alpine (or any for that matter) head units with fold-down faceplates. The JVC head unit sounds FAR SUPERIOR to the stock HK headunit. Even the wife (who does have an ear) said that although she knew I'd only changed the head unit, it sounded like the entire system was upgraded; and I would definitely agree!!

another nice feature; only very marginally affected buying decision (but definite bonus) is JVCs unlimited colour selection, so my deck is matched to our orange displays.....
AA race FMIC and Diverter/Blow-off
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
B6T
2nd Gear Member

I went to a big-box store recently to purchase the accessories I would need to install my Alpine MP3 deck, which was the face-plate, the antenna adaptor, and the wiring harness. My 330 has the factory HK stereo, so I knew going in there that I needed the specific wiring harness made for a BMW with factory (Harmon Kardon) amplifiers from research I had done prior.

The know-it-all installation professional at the desk who has been doing this for a million years insisted on selling me the all-purpose BMW wiring harness, and stated that he could install it and "make it work" for $50. I'm not a professional installer, but I know that usually means he is going cut wires in my BMW, or some short cut is going to be taken. Wiring harnesses I have purchased for past vehicles with OEM amplifiers (Audi) have had RCA inputs that go to the back of the aftermarket deck which feed signal to the amps, and the picture of the proper BMW harness showed these as well.

I would expect a good installer to use the proper wiring harness, not what he has on the shelf. Just a word of caution if you have a shop do the install.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
I normally would do this myself, but I was able to work a discount on the deck and free installation, so the local Best Buy did the installation. They joined (crimped) 2 connectors (one for the JVC and the other to the stock BMW harness). Wires were even colour coded, so perfect install; factory wiring still intact. Could remove and replace with stock HK (if I still had LOL) with no issue. Coodoo's to the Best Buy @ Bramalea City centre. They also programmed my steering wheel controls as well for no charge!! Ask for Alden if you happen to use them....
AA race FMIC and Diverter/Blow-off
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: