Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-03-2003, 09:12 PM   #1
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

BMWCC Mosport April school

Will the school still go on as schedueled, or will it be cancelled if the weather is bad ? Do the students get their money back ?

also , has a driving school ever been cancelled before due to bad weather ?

just wondering
ROB89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

It's not looking good for next weekend !
Old 04-07-2003, 03:14 AM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
Doesn't look good?
Did you not look at the weather report yet?
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/cit...anville_ON.htm
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It痴 habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I知 Nelson, and I知 a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:18 AM   #4
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
Doesn't look good?
Did you not look at the weather report yet?
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/cit...anville_ON.htm
ya I did... the skies will be clear..........
But there is still snow/ice on the ground.... do you not see ???

I dont wanna be on a racetrack (surrounded by walls) with cool temperatures and icey sections ....... do you ???
Old 04-07-2003, 03:33 AM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
I dont wanna be on a racetrack (surrounded by walls) with cool temperatures and icey sections ....... do you ???
I'm pretty sure that if you stay within your limits (and your cars limits) the snow off track won't harm you.

How often do cars go flying off couse at these events anyway?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It痴 habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I知 Nelson, and I知 a drivaholic."
Old 04-07-2003, 03:41 AM   #6
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
I'm pretty sure that if you stay within your limits (and your cars limits) the snow off track won't harm you.

The sole reason why I'm doing the school is to learn the limits of my car and my limits (as a driver).... I don't want to have to worry about loosing control because of some slippery/dirty sections of the track.... it is very dangerous as it is.....The track will be cold and tires wont be warm enough to get grip !
Thats why I hear the school will not be full this time.......
Old 04-07-2003, 03:52 AM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
The sole reason why I'm doing the school is to learn the limits of my car and my limits (as a driver).... I don't want to have to worry about loosing control because of some slippery/dirty sections of the track.... it is very dangerous as it is.....The track will be cold and tires wont be warm enough to get grip !
Thats why I hear the school will not be full this time.......
Not to sound like a dick, but if the track is cold making the tires grip less, that affects the limit for you and your car for those given track conditions. Not every track day will be sunny and 25コC. You'd have to learn your limits regardless if it's raining and 10コC, or sunny, humid and 35コC, right? You're driving outdoors, not in a controlled labrotory.

That said, it still is your choice wheater you want to attend (given a weather refund is available, which i dunno).
Old 04-07-2003, 04:17 AM   #8
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
From the weather network, the temperatures look decent for the coming weekend.

Even if the temps are a bit cooler than usual there's no excuse to whine about it's a bad day. Plus it'll be more of a challenge to experience the limits of your car at different temperature ranges. What's the point of always tracking your car on a 30 degrees celcius temp. and never learning what it feels like tracking it when it's 10 degrees celcius? Gotta be open to various conditions rather than being narrow minded.

I mean look at the WRC drivers driving at the Monaco course. Although there's usually snow, sometimes they actually drive on dry tiremac with temps probably way below 10 degrees celcius and they're driving at the limits too!

Common Rob, I guess if you had those Toyo T1-S's back on they'd help on cold temperature days since you did say they were too sticky for your liking driving at mosport on warm days j/k.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:22 AM   #9
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Ummm..Mike,
the only other time I tracked my car was Last April as well. It was a cold day too ! I have yet to experience tracking my car on a warm day !

Also, I haven't really driven with my Yokohama Parada Spec II's yet, but they are suppose to be stickier than the previous Paradas.

btw: You can't compare WRC drivers/racing with tracking an E30 M3 at Mosport..... 2 totally different kinds of racing..... rally cars are built/designed to race in harsh weather conditions....

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
From the weather network, the temperatures look decent for the coming weekend.
as long as there is no snow/ice anywhere near the track, it's ok.

Last edited by ROB89M3; 04-07-2003 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
fitz318is
2nd Gear Member

Bad weather makes for a not ideal day and possible dangerous situations, people make mistakes. It does not matter if you alone know your limits, but do the people around you know theirs?

The last time I went to Mosport to watch a few years ago, there was an e36 M3 put into the wall at 3 (?) and I have heard of a 540 that went into one, it does happen.

Rob, think about the May or the Sept school, those days should be good.
fitz318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:43 PM   #11
got torque?
2nd Gear Member

Gimme a break.
The weather has no impact on whether people make mistakes or not.

Tires get hot enough to provide plenty of grip. Many people have experimented in freezing temps at Cayuga and the tires come up to temp with no problem- it just takes a bit longer.

GT?
Old 04-07-2003, 01:56 PM   #12
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by got torque?
Gimme a break.
The weather has no impact on whether people make mistakes or not.
Sure it does......
Old 04-07-2003, 03:44 PM   #13
fitz318is
2nd Gear Member

How many people spun this past weekend in F1?
fitz318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 08:48 PM   #14
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Spinning in an F1 *race* (remember that word, it's different than SCHOOL) is one thing, spinning while in a driving SCHOOL is another.

Believe it or not, speed is NOT the objective behind an advanced driving school. Technique, smoothness and car control are the ideas behind it, and it doesn't matter if you learn those in the cold, slippery weather or in the hot, sticky weather. In fact, a cold, slippery day is a much better teaching tool than a hot, sticky day.

Sticky tires have the effect of making a poor driver look better than he really is, due to the fact that they cover up many mistakes that are often made by the inexperienced driver.

And mistakes will be made, whether it's in hot, dry weather, or cold, slippery weather. The mistakes aren't a result of the weather, but are simply things that students do. The key objective of any high performance driving school is to help people understand what their car control skills are like, and then work to improve them. If anything, it's better to have the school in cool, wet, weather, as this allows mistakes to show themselves at much lower speeds, with a greater amount of time to react to them.

Just think, we spend roughly 4 months of the year driving in winter weather in Toronto, yet people only want to attend driving schools when it's hot and dry out. If you really want to learn something, then attend a school during the early spring / late fall, when you have a chance at really developing your car control skills.

Remember, there is a big difference between driving a fast car, and being a fast driver.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:08 PM   #15
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally posted by GR8 Ride
Spinning in an F1 *race* (remember that word, it's different than SCHOOL) is one thing, spinning while in a driving SCHOOL is another.

Believe it or not, speed is NOT the objective behind an advanced driving school. Technique, smoothness and car control are the ideas behind it, and it doesn't matter if you learn those in the cold, slippery weather or in the hot, sticky weather. In fact, a cold, slippery day is a much better teaching tool than a hot, sticky day.

Sticky tires have the effect of making a poor driver look better than he really is, due to the fact that they cover up many mistakes that are often made by the inexperienced driver.

And mistakes will be made, whether it's in hot, dry weather, or cold, slippery weather. The mistakes aren't a result of the weather, but are simply things that students do. The key objective of any high performance driving school is to help people understand what their car control skills are like, and then work to improve them. If anything, it's better to have the school in cool, wet, weather, as this allows mistakes to show themselves at much lower speeds, with a greater amount of time to react to them.

Just think, we spend roughly 4 months of the year driving in winter weather in Toronto, yet people only want to attend driving schools when it's hot and dry out. If you really want to learn something, then attend a school during the early spring / late fall, when you have a chance at really developing your car control skills.

Remember, there is a big difference between driving a fast car, and being a fast driver.

Pat
As usual I was expecting you to come in on this thread anytime.
It's great when you come in with your elaborative explainations.
Hopefully it will give some people a better understanding.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: