Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
farbmw
3rd Gear Member
 
farbmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 377
Cherry Turbos (Ontario, Canada) Upgrade for the 335i N54

Hello everyone!


So anyways in another thread I posted that I may have a problem with my turbos, so I have de-modded my car and now it is back to stock to go back to the dealer.

But in the meanwhile I would like to upgrade them at a local shop, so I used the almighty Google and found two shops that work on turbos, one is based in Toronto and there was allot of mixed comments on their work, but Cherry Turbos had allot of good reviews on the web(turbo forums) and people I spoke to (he has over 20 year experience) and they are based in St. Thomas north of London, Ontario.

So I gave Herman (the owner and Turbo tech) a call and spoke to him about upgrading the turbos and getting more power out of them.

Needless to say he is very excited to take on this project and I learned that he use to own a 2002 tti BMW, he always liked BMWs, so that alone made him my best friend!! LOL

So I went and bought two used turbos for Herman to work his magic on and set an appointment with him to see the car and test drive it.

When I arrived at his shop, he was surprised that the turbos are so small, and he tell me that Volvo uses the same turbo, (he showed me one and they looked almost the same) but the ones that are on the N54 are better built, which I was glad to hear even thou we still have problems with them.

So now this is where we are at, Herman wants to start with see how big of a turbine wheel, and compressor wheel, that he can fit in the turbos, then to the bearing and lastly the waste-gate, so he is going to do a lot of research, so in about one to two weeks he will get back to me with a game plan for the upgrade.

So we are both excited about this project and I will keep you guy informed about what is happening.

In the meantime I have pics of the turbos that are going to be used and the shop the work is going to be done in.

Wish me luck!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007335iturbos1[1]..JPG (141.1 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg 2007335iturbos2[1]..JPG (157.3 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg 2007335iturbos3[1]..JPG (144.0 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg 2007335iturbos[1]..JPG (155.2 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg CherryTurbos1.JPG (135.0 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg CherryTurbos2.JPG (124.9 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg CherryTurbos3.JPG (130.4 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg CherryTurbos5.JPG (141.8 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg CherryTurbos6.JPG (125.0 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg CherryTurbos4.JPG (158.3 KB, 499 views)
__________________
I am the man with some BIMMERs!!

Last edited by farbmw; 08-15-2010 at 07:58 PM.
farbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~
 
everlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,847
I've spoke to those guys a few times, very helpful. Good luck with your build. Make sure you spend some $ and time tuning on a dyno.
__________________
everlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
farbmw
3rd Gear Member
 
farbmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
I've spoke to those guys a few times, very helpful. Good luck with your build. Make sure you spend some $ and time tuning on a dyno.
Thanks, and that is the plan my man!
__________________
I am the man with some BIMMERs!!
farbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
B6T
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Waterwoo
Posts: 167
The OEM manufacturer of these turbos has a team of highly knowledgeable engineers and CFD software that costs more than that independent shop could ever afford. Because they have the tools to make it possible, the turbine and compressor wheel designs are already highly optimized for use with those particular housings. I doubt this guy will be able to improve upon the OEM manufacturers design by stuffing whatever compressor and turbine wheel he finds on his shelf in the existing housings. If he does, I'm sure some other aspect of the turbos performance will suffer, be it flow capacity, spool/response, or life.

The reason they are 'small' is because they are each being driven by 3 cylinders, or 1.5L of displacement, and because BMW has sized them for response rather than over-all output so that they can simulate the feeling of a larger, more torquey engine.

Not trying to knock what Cherry Turbos does, but from what I can see they are a reman shop... not an R&D based engineering company that would be able to better BMW engineers at their own game. Personally, I wouldn't let them put their experimental turbos on my N54 engine (if I had one)... which has a replacement cost of at least $10,000
__________________
BMW 330Ci
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
farbmw
3rd Gear Member
 
farbmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
The OEM manufacturer of these turbos has a team of highly knowledgeable engineers and CFD software that costs more than that independent shop could ever afford. Because they have the tools to make it possible, the turbine and compressor wheel designs are already highly optimized for use with those particular housings. I doubt this guy will be able to improve upon the OEM manufacturers design by stuffing whatever compressor and turbine wheel he finds on his shelf in the existing housings. If he does, I'm sure some other aspect of the turbos performance will suffer, be it flow capacity, spool/response, or life.

The reason they are 'small' is because they are each being driven by 3 cylinders, or 1.5L of displacement, and because BMW has sized them for response rather than over-all output so that they can simulate the feeling of a larger, more torquey engine.

Not trying to knock what Cherry Turbos does, but from what I can see they are a reman shop... not an R&D based engineering company that would be able to better BMW engineers at their own game. Personally, I wouldn't let them put their experimental turbos on my N54 engine (if I had one)... which has a replacement cost of at least $10,000

Point taken but you are wrong on the replacement cost, and Tisher BMW sales the replacement turbos around $700US each.
__________________
I am the man with some BIMMERs!!
farbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
farbmw
3rd Gear Member
 
farbmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 377
Cool Update

Cherry turbos e-mailed me this morning to give me a little date.

This is the plan so far.

They need to explore what would be a good fix is for the wastegate. They have the wheel and internals upgrade figured out. They will put a S40 compressor wheel in and provide new oiling internally to bear the increased loads.

Sound good so far!
__________________
I am the man with some BIMMERs!!
farbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
MarkD
Banned
 
MarkD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In Your DME!
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Point taken but you are wrong on the replacement cost, and Tisher BMW sales the replacement turbos around $700US each.
He's telling you the price of a rebuilt motor, not the turbos. The motor is over $15K
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
farbmw
3rd Gear Member
 
farbmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 377
Some bad news

Well I received an e-mail from Cherry Turbos yesterday and it was not what I wanted to hear but stuff happens.

"after a lot of time spent trying to get these turbos to do more than they were designed for, I've decided to stop looking for a solution to the wastegate design flaw. My choice of alloys is not guaranteed to work. Not having a guaranteed success out in the field is not something I want to hang on my reputation. I have a huge workload and am not finding the time to do any more r & d. Sadly that means I wasted your time and my time. The turbos are boxed up and ready to ship to you. Send me an address and I will get them back to you."

So I am glad that he was up front with me but I am not going to let this stop me in finding someone local that is up to the challenge of upgrading these turbos, right now I am talking to a shop that sounds like they are up for it, so when I get more details and the right shop that is willing to take on the challenge to the end I will start a new thread and let you guys know.

Sorry for getting everyones hopes up but I am hoping to make it up to you once I can find the right shop.
__________________
I am the man with some BIMMERs!!
farbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member
 
NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
the ones that are on the N54 are better built, which I was glad to hear even thou we still have problems with them.
Who has problems with them? People like you that mod the car and request 2x or more the boost then factory from such a small turbo?

There is nothing wrong with the turbos. You just cannot expect them to last if they're being pushed @ or well off the flow charts.

It's the same BS that happens with the B5 S4 guys. Stock ECU cars are known to have the turbos last for many 100's of thousands of KM/Miles without an issue. But chipped it's anyones guess. It all comes down to how nice you are to them @ that point.
__________________
E36 VEMS TUNING
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS VR
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
mirek
6th Gear Member
 
mirek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,454
Jean shorts and high black socks?
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.