Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Vito
1st Gear Newbie

Unhappy Windows constantly opening themselves!!!

I've got a 1999 328i. Initially, I'd click lock, the lock would fight with me until the 7th or 8th click and then stay locked, but this wouldn't last long and sooner or later it would unlock itself later and roll down all the windows! The dealership told me my GM5 (General Module) needed to be swapped but instead of paying the $1400 for a new mod/programming/installation I bought one off ebay for $100 and had them put it in/program it for another $150. This seemed to work at first, now its been a month or so with the new mod and currently the problem is as bad as ever, if not worse. Very shortly after locking the car, the windows go down. Its been locked countless times now for the past 3 days and windows drop everytime without fail. I need help I'm desperate! Its starting to rain!
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Your car is possessed.....I'd be careful.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
damameke
6th Gear Member

Get the dealership to reprogram the GM5 again.. you might have bought a faulty GM5 from eBay.... does all windows come down by itself and at the same time?

Temporary fix. duct tape the top and corner of inside windows. til you find a resolution...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Vito
1st Gear Newbie

Would the reprogramming help? Yes all 4 windows and the sunroof open all at once at the same time. First the car unlocks itself, then the windows go down. I'm guessing the GM5 I bought was bad, but with the exact same problem as the previous one? Seems quite strange.. I hope the ducktape idea works/holds or else I'm gona have to remove battery power from the car and there goes my music/nice breeze.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
damameke
6th Gear Member

I would consult the dealer that did the install and programming, its worth the try to do the reprogramming, the other option is go to techmax, http://www.techmax.ca/ and the guy's name is attila(I think) he might be able to check it out for you...

Last edited by damameke; 08-24-2010 at 09:14 PM.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Bimmermann
1st Gear Newbie

I would have the driver's side door lock checked.
Bimmermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
MANDD
Autobahn East

Windows

Does this happen when locking/unlocking with the remote or using the key in the lock?

If this is only when using the remote then the fault may lie in the key (unlock button staying operated after release).

If this happens when using the key in the door lock then the fault may lie in the lock/actuator assembly.

Have a shop with the correct BMW scan tool disable the comfort opening feature via car/key memory and see if this fault re-occurs.

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Randy
2nd Gear Member

my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoace View Post
I would have the driver's side door lock checked.
I 2nd this notion.
16" alloys (OEM)
e46 roof lip/spoiler (black)
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Bimmermann
1st Gear Newbie

The fault most likely lies in the door lock itself. The door lock is most likely shorted and sending a constant unlock signal to the module. If the unlock button was stuck on the key fob, the key fob would most definitely have run out of batteries by now. Even if the problem is the key fob, disabling comfort opening would only stop the windows and sunroof from opening. It wouldn't prevent the doors from unlocking themselves.
Bimmermann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: