Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

A couple of newbie questions from a new owner

Hi,

I have just purchased a used 2007 335xi, that is an absolute blast to drive, but I have found a couple of surprising things on the way back to the dealership:
- first of all, the dealer only had a single key, so, because I assumed that those cars come with 2 keys, I have asked him to go back to the previous owner and try to get the second key. Am I correct in my assumption and if the previous owner can't find the key, how much do those typically cost?
- the controls on the steering wheel don't work at all. None of them. Does one need a special package or option to get the controls to work, or are they standard? I have done a little research that leads me to believe that they should work, but I thought I would ask BMW experts... If they are supposed to work, then I guess, I need to make a trip to the BMW dealership to get it fixed as the car is still under warranty.

I think that's all I have right now.... it is funny how many friends are interested in trying the car out and I can't blame them it is a blast to drive.... so much power and yet so composed... Great car.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Bertrand.
blackdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
///Mmm
Need an s85!

The car originally came with two keys, previous owner lost it.... and i think the key is around $450, not %100 sure though.

And the buttons on the wheel should work.
///Mmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mmm View Post
The car originally came with two keys, previous owner lost it.... and i think the key is around $450, not %100 sure though.

And the buttons on the wheel should work.
Thanks for the quick answer ///Mmm... I guess I'll call one of the BMW dealership here and get it fixed under the warranty program... ;-)

For the key, I am a little bit more ticked off as I should have asked for the second key before negotiating the price... oh well, I got a decent deal on it, so I am ok with it.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Spalz-_-e36
2nd Gear Member

the radio controls should work but the voice activation commands wont work unless the car has bluetooth in it....from what i understand, that doesnt come standard but can be added on as all the wiring is there
Old 08-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalz-_-e36 View Post
the radio controls should work but the voice activation commands wont work unless the car has bluetooth in it....from what i understand, that doesnt come standard but can be added on as all the wiring is there
I have managed to find out a little bit more information.... it looked like the car was in a collision and that the airbag deployed. I did an inspection on the car and it is all fine, but I am wondering if, by any chance, the control wouldn't be working because of that. If that is the case, would that void the warranty? I know it isn't a BMW specific question, but I have never been in the situation before.

The car does have bluetooth, so the voice command should work, but I am not too interested in that. I like having the music control on the steering wheel, so I don't have to reach down.

Thanks a lot,
Bertrand.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
bmw335i
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to bmw335i
Hrm.. the key is depending on if you got the convience package.. I had my key replaced for $150 or something like that.. but if you got the convience package where you do not have to put the key in to start the car, then that's $450 or more..
bmw335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335i View Post
Hrm.. the key is depending on if you got the convience package.. I had my key replaced for $150 or something like that.. but if you got the convience package where you do not have to put the key in to start the car, then that's $450 or more..
Hi bmw335i,

I don't believe that I have the convenience package as I have to put the key in the slot on the dash to start the car , so hopefully it'll only cost me $150, rather than $450.

Thanks a lot,
Bertrand.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
bmw335i
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to bmw335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiamond View Post
Hi bmw335i,

I don't believe that I have the convenience package as I have to put the key in the slot on the dash to start the car , so hopefully it'll only cost me $150, rather than $450.

Thanks a lot,
Bertrand.

Np can't remember how much I paid but it was defintely under $200
bmw335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335i View Post
Np can't remember how much I paid but it was defintely under $200
Thanks a lot bmw335i, that'll give me some ammunitions when talking to the dealership.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Coupedup
Reverse Gear Member

Sounds like when they re-packed the airbag they forgot to plug in the steering wheel electronics... Did the p/owner disclose the accident? Did you get a carfax- not that it matters as 90% of accidents don't show up on them!
Coupedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupedup View Post
Sounds like when they re-packed the airbag they forgot to plug in the steering wheel electronics... Did the p/owner disclose the accident? Did you get a carfax- not that it matters as 90% of accidents don't show up on them!
Yes, the previous owner did disclose the collision and even the amount for the repairs... I hope it is as simple as what you are suggesting.

Thanks a lot for the help,
Bertrand.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
Datboi
1st Gear Newbie

I bought a 335i recently 2007 and they only had 1 key and at that moment i complained and he threw in brand new keys for free.... try to go doing that now to save yourself a money although it wont be as effectiveee as asking right there and then...
Datboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
dbworld4k
Addict

The harness for the steering wheel controls is either not plugged in, or damaged from when the airbag was deployed.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
The harness for the steering wheel controls is either not plugged in, or damaged from when the airbag was deployed.
If the harness was damaged when the airbag deployed, is it still covered by the warranty?

I guess, I'll soon find out as the car is going to the shop tomorrow.

Thanks a lot,
Bertrand.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
damameke
6th Gear Member

Kinda surprise that the dealership did not repair the steering wheel control before putting it out for sale, not that it matter now since you already bought it...

Hope the dealership fix it up good for you.... and if you are buying a key..call Mike at Maranello BMW, he is a sponsor here and wil give you a discount,
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: