Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #46
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Also, Mtech2 wheel FTW, don't have pics installed but yeah, it's perfect, wouldn't want to go any smaller.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #47
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member

Nice build Axxe, can't wait to see the finished product.
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #48
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

What offset, and width 18s are you going to run?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #49
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
235/40s all around, on 17x8s squared setup. No Strut bar. It could be how the coilovers are setup or the alignment, e36m3s are known to understeer, bf.c guys seem to suggest more camber up front.
Front swaybar will fix the understeer

Do not get a rear bar though lol.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #50
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Front swaybar will fix the understeer

Do not get a rear bar though lol.
More front bar = more understeer.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #51
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

So front sway bar or front camber plates?

Which one should I get?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #52
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
More front bar = more understeer.
Not on an e36 or e46. Trust me.

Ask any club racer or Arek. And from my own experience, a huge front swaybar gets rid of the stock understeer.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #53
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Not on an e36 or e46. Trust me.

Ask any club racer or Arek. And from my own experience, a huge front swaybar gets rid of the stock understeer.
I'm not a religious man, I don't take things on faith. Without an explanation, I'll stick to my opinion. Not saying you're wrong but the physics of weight transfer apply to anything from a bus to a formula car. If it's true then there's probably a design flaw that I'd like to hear about and why it wouldn't be better overcome with other ways (eg static geometry changes and spring rates).
Old 03-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #54
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I'm not a religious man, I don't take things on faith. Without an explanation, I'll stick to my opinion. Not saying you're wrong but the physics of weight transfer apply to anything from a bus to a formula car. If it's true then there's probably a design flaw that I'd like to hear about and why it wouldn't be better overcome with other ways (eg static geometry changes and spring rates).
Scotch (Arek) explained it best to me once.

"The BMW mac strut works best when the roll rool is reduced. This can be done with stiff springs, but then you compromize other handling, so a stiff front bar does this well. you're correct the soft rear bar is for putting down power. If you're lacking rotation, it's far better to add more spring (or tune the shocks) than stiffening the bar ... it will work, but usually at the expense of corner exit grip.

What feels good on the steet really has no bearing at all on track handling ... you're never anywhere close to 100% on the street to be able to tune it right, so just go with what works best for you (comfort/etc), and worry about atcualy handling tuning at the track."

Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #55
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Sorry, don't wanna cluter Tomek's thread any more than we already have.
Can we continue this here?
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...26#post1485226
Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #56
BigD
the misanthropist

I don't really see an explanation though, other than:

"The BMW mac strut works best when the roll rool is reduced."

Why?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #57
Steve30
Techno Viking

isn't that the case for all struts since they roll and reduce negative camber vs. a wishbone suspension which actually retains negative camber?

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #58
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
isn't that the case for all struts since they roll and reduce negative camber vs. a wishbone suspension which actually retains negative camber?
Yeah, which is why you run exaggerated negative static camber, so as the car rolls (and with macpherson strut, also gaining +ve camber under compression), you actually get a better contact patch.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #59
Steve30
Techno Viking

ok, so then running a bigger front bar will result in more weight transfer to the opposite wheel resulting in a greater contact patch for both sides right?

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #60
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
ok, so then running a bigger front bar will result in more weight transfer to the opposite wheel resulting in a greater contact patch for both sides right?
A bigger sway bar will transfer force to the opposite side, and through the other side's spring and its own torsional stiffness, effectively add to the spring rate of the outside wheel. The problem is that when a car rolls to one side, the "weight transfer", or basically just the car leaning on that side, causes more pressure on the wheel, increasing friction. Imagine an arrow pointing out the side of the car - that's the centrifugal force (car wanting to go sideways instead of turning). If the car rolls, imagine that arrow no longer pointing sideways but a little down. The vertical component from this force will push down on the wheels (until you roll over of course lol). So the flatter the car stays, the lower this force will be.

The other part is static vs dynamic friction. Static friction is much greater than dynamic. Ever notice how if you push a chair, it takes a lot more force to get it moving than to keep it moving? That's it. Same thing happens with tires - if you start sliding, you have way less grip than if you were rolling. You don't want to overcome the static friction barrier. But when you initially turn in to a corner, the outside front tire has to generate enough force to begin the initial change in direction (which will later be handled by both front and rear). So the more time it has to do this work, the less instantaneous force it has to generate. This is why if you turn in too suddenly, you'll understeer - asking one tire to generate all that force right away. The same thing happens with too much roll stiffness. If the car has some body roll, while it rolls over ("weight transfer"s), the tires do less work because part of the weight of the car is not being supported. But a stiffer roll resistance will have a similar effect as turning in sharper on a softer car.

So as you can see, this will be true for anything with 4 tires and pivoting suspension. There can be other complications but in the ideal world, they are solved with static geometry changes.

That being said, I'm no expert, just read a bunch of books n shit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: