Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

Buying key fobs on the web

Hi,

as I have mentioned in a previous thread, my car came with a single key and I am looking to get a second one. At the dealer, these are about $450 a piece, but I checked on ebay and one can find a blank one for $50. Any issue with those? How easy is it to then go to a dealer and get it programmed to work with the car? Any issue with warranty by doing that?

Thanks a lot in advance and my apologies for all the noob questions,
Bertrand.
blackdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Don't think a chipped key would be that little on ebay unless it doesn't have a chip in it.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
Don't think a chipped key would be that little on ebay unless it doesn't have a chip in it.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the response. This is what I have found: http://cgi.ebay.ca/UNCUT-BMW-SMART-K...#ht_5816wt_856

I know it says that the keys are used, but it still looks like the real thing. What do you think?

Thanks a lot,
Bertrand.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
cisco911
6th Gear Member

The problem is that the dealer, if they even agree to program the key, would probably charge you a couple of hundred dollars to do it and I don't think they would cut the actual key as they come ordered cut from germany(I might be wrong on this, but that is how it use to be. So basically your goint to be paying $300 for something that is incomplete and used. Might as well just pay the extra and get a complete new key.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
killakill
2nd Gear Member

key fob

According to some posts iv read on e90post you dont need to go to the dealer for programming of the key fob. you just put the BLANK fob into the fob holder in the car and it automatically downloads the info to the new fob. This is the reason you need a unused new blank fob. But obviously the key would need to be cut by a dealer the dealer can get the cut. The cuts are vin specific obviously so you would need to provide your vin they charge a coupe hundered to cut the key. Let me know if you find a cheap blank fob i need one too.
killakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Bimmermann
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakill View Post
According to some posts iv read on e90post you dont need to go to the dealer for programming of the key fob. you just put the BLANK fob into the fob holder in the car and it automatically downloads the info to the new fob. This is the reason you need a unused new blank fob. But obviously the key would need to be cut by a dealer the dealer can get the cut. The cuts are vin specific obviously so you would need to provide your vin they charge a coupe hundered to cut the key. Let me know if you find a cheap blank fob i need one too.
You're half right. If the key fob is indeed brand new oem and never registered in a vehicle, the vehicle will indeed activate the key fob with the car. You do not need to go to a dealer to get the key cut. My last car was an Audi which had the same style key. All you need is to call around and find a locksmith with a "Sidewinder" Key cutter.

If the key fob is already registered to a vehicle. You would need to bring all your key fobs to a dealer to delete all the keys from the vehicle and reactivate.

Last edited by Bimmermann; 09-06-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Bimmermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
killakill
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoace View Post
You're half right. If the key fob is indeed brand new oem and never registered in a vehicle, the vehicle will indeed activate the key fob with the car. You do not need to go to a dealer to get the key cut. My last car was an Audi which had the same style key. All you need is to call around and find a locksmith with a "Sidewinder" Key cutter.

If the key fob is already registered to a vehicle. You would need to bring all your key fobs to a dealer to delete all the keys from the vehicle and reactivate.
o interesting. a e90 post member said that these keys are special and need to be "laser" cut thats why they must be borught to the dealer .
killakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Bimmermann
1st Gear Newbie

Yes the original keys are laser cut. But you can emulate that cut with a "Sidewinder" key cutting lathe. Just make sure the guy cutting the key has experience with the machine. I know Doc Loc in Kitchener has one.
Bimmermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoace View Post
Yes the original keys are laser cut. But you can emulate that cut with a "Sidewinder" key cutting lathe. Just make sure the guy cutting the key has experience with the machine. I know Doc Loc in Kitchener has one.
Hi whoace,

thanks a lot for all the good info you've provided. It makes things a little easier to understand for us newbies....

Thanks again,
Bertrand.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
damameke
6th Gear Member

Did you check with Mike from Maranello BMW(sponsor here) I believed he can get you the FOB for a good price...and also ask him about reprogramming...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
blackdiamond
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
Did you check with Mike from Maranello BMW(sponsor here) I believed he can get you the FOB for a good price...and also ask him about reprogramming...
Hi,

I have checked with Mike and he did give me a really good price, so I am getting ready to buy one from him.

Thanks a lot,
Bertrand.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: