Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
540guy
2nd Gear Member

A Little Detailing Help

I'm buying a few things to add to the car cleaning lineup but since it'll be my first time with a Porter Cable I just wanted to make sure i have things right. After reading different things on the internet it's a bit overwhelming, especially the different types of polishes.

Any input would be appreciated.

For washing the car, right now i use two buckets, and meguiars car wash liquid. I'm going to be using the Lake Country Foam Wash Sponge, and a grit guard in one bucket.

After washing the car and sheeting the water off, I'd clean the last few bits of water with The Dehydrator Drying Towel.

And on occasion I'd use the Optimum No Rinse Wash.

Stoners Invisible Glass goes on the glass and mirrors. Streak free without any hassle. For the wheels, I currently use Autoglym custom wheel cleaner. Tire dressing, I'm now going to try Wheel Wax Extreme Black.

---
For claying I have the Mothers claybar and quick detailer spray.

Now the stuff that i find confusing has to do with the 7424xp. I'm gettng the kit from eShine.ca, the 'Porter Cable 7424XP Swirl Buster Kit 6.5" Pads'

It has 5" backing plate, and 6.5" pads. I'd be getting 1 yellow heavy cutting pad, 1 orange mild cut, 2 white polishing, and 1 black finishing. All Lake Country. (I'm assuming it comes with a 5" counterweight)

I have two cars, one 2008 black suv and one 2002 silver bmw which was just fully repainted.

The black car has swirls built up from the beginning, it's never been touched with a buffer. For that I am thinking Menzerna Intensive Polish PO91E. (Courtesy of the detailing 101 thread)Then I'd follow through with Menzerna Final Finish (Final Polish) PO85U.

For the silver bmw, I am thinking the Menzerna Micro Polish PO87MC since it states its for light damage and is safe for new paint from what i understand.

Then I'd hit it with a wax, I have mothers carnauba wax right now. If there's something better I'll buy that instead.

I'm hoping i have it all right, any corrections or suggestions would be great.

Also, I have the Mothers 3 step (Prewax cleaner,sealer and glaze, carnauba wax). I use this right now with a hand applicator pad. Now with a buffer, would the first two items come into play at all or the above polishes take care of the work?

I hope this doesn't sound like I am totally lost lol.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 540guy; 07-20-2010 at 04:56 PM.
540guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
bryansbestwax
1st Gear Newbie

sounds like a good plan to me.
bryansbestwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #3
c4sh
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansbestwax View Post
sounds like a good plan to me.
agreed. please post some pics after ...
c4sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
540guy
2nd Gear Member

Thanks to both for the approval.

I'll post pics once they're completed.
540guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
TrueGem
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you have everything under control as far as the steps.

For wax I usually recommend and use on all my clients cars is Autoglym HD wax gives the paint a lot more depth and lasts a lot longer then all the other waxes I have used.

Attached is the latest car I used HD wax on without polishing before and after.

Peter

True Gem Mobile Automotive Detailing
Visit: www.truegemdetailing.com
Phone: 416-807-3559
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008 Dodge Charger Body Before.JPG (317.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 2008 Dodge Charger Body After-4.JPG (260.3 KB, 89 views)
TrueGem is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: