Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
What turbo are you using? If it's not a ball bearing ditch the restrictor.

If its still leaking/smoking with the CCV vented to atmosphere and a proper oil feed/drain then the seals are shot.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
jamison67
E30 POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
What turbo are you using? If it's not a ball bearing ditch the restrictor.

If its still leaking/smoking with the CCV vented to atmosphere and a proper oil feed/drain then the seals are shot.
its a ebay turbo ,,,,so i think the ebay turbos r ball bearing ,,correct me if im wrong...

and ill be honest i didnt really listin when i was told not to buy this and if the seals r shot ill be doin a 3 pointer wit this turbo right into the garbage,,and will be buyin a holset

any ways heres some pics ,,,im goin to get more but heres a few for now

http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a.../turbo%20pics/
jamison67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #18
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison67 View Post
its a ebay turbo ,,,,so i think the ebay turbos r ball bearing ,,correct me if im wrong...

and ill be honest i didnt really listin when i was told not to buy this and if the seals r shot ill be doin a 3 pointer wit this turbo right into the garbage,,and will be buyin a holset

any ways heres some pics ,,,im goin to get more but heres a few for now

http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...bo%20pics/
ah, there's your problem, ebay turbo. The seals are probably shot. They're not ball bearing.

Do yourself a favor and hit up ebay, not for more ebay china chargers You can probably find a decent or even new rebuilt Holsets for 200-400 bones which is a bargain. plus they are indestructible if taken care of.

an H1C or an HX35 is what you want.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #19
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I think it would make more sense to put your AFM before the turbo.
It would make even more sense to convert to a standalone EMS so you can ditch the AFM... that's what I'm going to be doing very soon.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
jamison67
E30 POWER

ya thats the plan of ditching the afm and going standalone,,,e30kidd got me convinced,,,,,i just got to wait a bit as things r a little tight rite now...i just wanna get this thing going for the ending of this summer just to feel a little bit of what FI feels like then over the winter ill buy a holset turbo and 55 pin pnp standalone
Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #21
jamison67
E30 POWER

whats the didference of puting the afm in frt of the turbo as to how i have it set up now
Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #22
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Quote:
whats the didference of puting the afm in frt of the turbo as to how i have it set up now
The difference is how the stock ecu will handle the incoming air temp and the pressure waves on the barn door . I have tuned both types and both setups have disadvantages and advantages.. In a ideal world you would want the air temp sensor after the intercooler and the barn door flapper before the turbo but of course it's not easy to separate them... When the stock motronic is tuned correctly it will handle bigger injectors and boost with out any problems no matter what way you run the AFM
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwconnect View Post
The difference is how the stock ecu will handle the incoming air temp and the pressure waves on the barn door . I have tuned both types and both setups have disadvantages and advantages.. In a ideal world you would want the air temp sensor after the intercooler and the barn door flapper before the turbo but of course it's not easy to separate them... When the stock motronic is tuned correctly it will handle bigger injectors and boost with out any problems no matter what way you run the AFM
Hey you tune the stock motronic right? Any chance you've gotten the ignition tables from the 179ecu?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #24
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Hey you tune the stock motronic right? Any chance you've gotten the ignition tables from the 179ecu?
Yes shoot me a email
Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #25
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
The AFM is designed to work under atmospheric conditions, as soon as you have boost the door in the AFM is just going to be pegged open. The car will still run with the AFM down stream from the turbo (my car is currently set-up that way for the time being). It just makes more sense to me to have it before the turbo

edit: plus what bmwconnect said

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 07-21-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #26
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
The AFM is designed to work under atmospheric conditions, as soon as you have boost the door in the AFM is just going to be pegged open. The car will still run with the AFM down stream from the turbo (my car is currently set-up that way for the time being). It just makes more sense to me to have it before the turbo

edit: plus what bmwconnect said
The only real problem I ever had with my push threw setup is heat soaking the AFM and lean idle start but editing the software changed that quickly.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #27
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
The only real problem I ever had with my push threw setup is heat soaking the AFM and lean idle start but editing the software changed that quickly.
So you never found that the door maxed out when under boost? because I could see that happening very easily.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #28
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Quote:
Yes shoot me a email
pm'd
Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #29
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
So you never found that the door maxed out when under boost? because I could see that happening very easily.
Yes all the time, but only in boost and in that situation the throttle is open more then 50%-75% or even close to wot so you just treat the high load pt map like a wot map
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #30
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Yes all the time, but only in boost and in that situation the throttle is open more then 50%-75% or even close to wot so you just treat the high load pt map like a wot map
Makes sense. Not ideal but that should work relatively well. I'm guessing Alpina did something similar with their old turbo motors.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: