Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #16
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

put it in the garage for now.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #17
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass View Post
Thanks Chromius, i will contact my lawyer. What exactly is a "Claim of Rights letter"? This is the link to the by-law which is referred to on the letter http://www.cityofpickering.com/stand...anandClear.pdf.
Claim of right is just a fancy way of saying stating ownership. Put a letter on the car stating that you are full owner of said property and vehicle, and that it is not to be removed. Anyone attempting to remove it will be met with a swift kick to the nuts....something along those lines
Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #18
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass View Post
Thanks Chromius, i will contact my lawyer. What exactly is a "Claim of Rights letter"? This is the link to the by-law which is referred to on the letter http://www.cityofpickering.com/stand...anandClear.pdf.
Okay, so I read the by-law, and as suspected there is nothing in there that gives them the right to remove your property. They can order the work to be done. Including probably calling a tow truck to attempt to have it removed, but that would be a violation of your property rights, and a city doesn't have the authority to do that without a warrant, providing it's on your property.

On the other hand, they can fine you. That's really their only method of punishment. But yeah, a lawyer would be of more help I'm sure.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #19
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
if someone thinks they have a right to come on my property and take my shit i have a right to come up to them and stab them to death with my kitchen knife, theres no way im calling the police if that happens.

you scratch my car with your filthy tow truck hands you die. seems reasonable enough.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform

Last edited by BMW_7; 07-20-2010 at 09:32 AM.
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #20
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Have you had any luck getting in touch with the City? I used to have a '73 Nova that I was working on (it was eventually traded for a snowmobile). However, It was in my driveway in Pickering; un-plated, front end disassembled....I had a douche neighbour complain. The inspector showed up took a look around and left me his business card on my front door.

I called him, he explained there was a complaint about my car. His determination was that, "it is under a cover, the wheels are all inflated, it's not an eyesore but I'd prefer you keep it in the garage if you can" I explained that with 2 kids, no car will likely ever see the inside of my garage but I'd keep the area around it tidy and continue making progress on it. I kept it in the same spot for 2 years after that with no issues.

Ask to have the inspector meet you at your house or if you can speak to them on the phone. See if (s)he can make suggestions that would be mutually agreeable. They have to document the remedial action taken so if the same neighbour complains they can say, we've addressed this issue, the owner promised this or that, we did a drive by and they are doing what we asked.

I've found that the City of Pickering is surprisingly small, generally the staff are good people and you'll deal with the same people frequently. Do your best to not piss the inspector off, I've had the same guy come to my house 3 times. (2 times for trailers on the grass and once for my Nova)

Did the letter give you the inspectors name, I'd be interested to see if it's the same guy. I can't remember his name off hand, but if I heard it, I'd remember (PM me instead of posting his name up).

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Where I live there is a huge alleyway behind a bunch of houses (not crap, decent quality homes) full of shit cars, there are at least 4 VW vanagons filled up to the top with junk (probably used as storage units).

The alleyway faces an elevated expressway, that's probably why. But still, no one complains, no one calls the city on each other. May be the type of people that live here.

Maybe I'll take a pic

Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #22
damameke
6th Gear Member

Like I stated earlier, someone complained about your "eyesore" and that is your unplated car and here we are not talking about a stranger coming onto your property to scratch your plated licensed car..and no rights are violated,, if this is a classic car and you want to restore it at your own time.. look at who is complaining and work with that person, and if renting a storage is not your option.. sacrifice the other car and put this one in the garage..certain thing is worthwhile to fight, is this worthwhile knowing the by law is stacked against you..

Unplated car falls in the Clean and Clear By-law and that is in every city:

Can I keep an unplated vehicle in my driveway?

By definition a vehicle without current licence plates (including Validation Sticker) is debris in the Clean and Clear By-law and can't be kept on your property. This also includes vehicles that by reason of its appearance or mechanical condition appears to be inoperative. For further information please refer to the Clean and Clear By-law.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #23
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
Like I stated earlier, someone complained about your "eyesore" and that is your unplated car and here we are not talking about a stranger coming onto your property to scratch your plated licensed car..and no rights are violated,, if this is a classic car and you want to restore it at your own time.. look at who is complaining and work with that person, and if renting a storage is not your option.. sacrifice the other car and put this one in the garage..certain thing is worthwhile to fight, is this worthwhile knowing the by law is stacked against you..

Unplated car falls in the Clean and Clear By-law and that is in every city:

Can I keep an unplated vehicle in my driveway?

By definition a vehicle without current licence plates (including Validation Sticker) is debris in the Clean and Clear By-law and can't be kept on your property. This also includes vehicles that by reason of its appearance or mechanical condition appears to be inoperative. For further information please refer to the Clean and Clear By-law.
wow i parked my 525 with no plates on the street in montreal and no one cared, so long as I moved it for street cleaning (i put plates on later to be safe)

sometimes i wonder, what kind of leeches run ontario

do they have weekly meetings titled "how to screw ontario homeowner brainstorming session", and to think, our taxes pay their salary.

i feel sick having to argue this issue. the fact that you can't keep private property on your own private property? seriously?

Last edited by BMW_7; 07-20-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: