Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
nate9
1st Gear Newbie

heating issues, ? aux fan

Hi Everyone

I have some over heating issues. The temperature will some time goes up to around 3/4 and it flucuates at times. When I turn on the a/c the aux fan does not turn on, but the temp does not neccessary rise when a/c is on. Driving on the highway, temp seems to be normal. Over heating seems to be at stop still or at low speed. I check the fuses for the aux fan they are fine. What should I check next, switches? where are they located? and what should I check for

thank you for helping
nate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Wiring. My Aux fan harness was messed up so I re-wired to the ignition switch to turn on when the car was running. Once I got my temperature and hoses all sorted out, disconnected the ground so it wouldn't run but always within reach if it ever over-heats again
Old 07-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
razzor
2nd Gear Member

Try jumping the temp switch mounted to the rad to see if that makes it come on, it,s supposed to come on at a preset temp.
I just replaced my fan clutch and that made a huge difference as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

The reason your fan doesn't come on for the most likely answer is your aux fan resistor is broken blown etc. This is a common problem with the steel framed or plastic fans and the resistors vary in price. As suggested above, try by-passing the resistor-direct power to see if you are in fact getting power to it to make it turn on.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
nate9
1st Gear Newbie

Sorry, it might be a stupid question....I am really a newbie with this. How do I by pass the resistor and direct power the fan? Please advice with detail if possible.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
nate9
1st Gear Newbie

by the way, does anyone knows the specification of the orginial aux fan resistor...such as the voltage, ohms and amps

Thank you very much guys
Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Near the fuse box, is another little box with a straight fuse (there's 2 there). That is part of your ignition. One runs constant, the other when you start the car. Figure it out from there with some 12gauge wire and run new wire from the other little fuses to the fan direct. You could even cut the wires and run a battery charger to the ground and positive direct to the fan to see if the fan still works.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
You could even cut the wires and run a battery charger to the ground and positive direct to the fan to see if the fan still works.
WHY would you tell someone to cut their harness to test a fan?

Jebeezus Cripes.

Pull the fan harness apart, located near the drivers headlamp assembly and carefully apply power there to test the fan.

If you're car goes to 3/4 temp without the a/c on, then replace your fan clutch. You've already removed a/c as the culprit of adding too much heat. The clutch fan should keep the car at 1/2 at any time without the a/c on.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
WHY would you tell someone to cut their harness to test a fan?

Jebeezus Cripes.

Pull the fan harness apart, located near the drivers headlamp assembly and carefully apply power there to test the fan.

If you're car goes to 3/4 temp without the a/c on, then replace your fan clutch. You've already removed a/c as the culprit of adding too much heat. The clutch fan should keep the car at 1/2 at any time without the a/c on.
Well for myself. I made my own harness. So no worries for myself since I know a little bit about power supply ect. This was my problem, my temp ran 3/4 until I hooked up the aux fan. It kept it cool at around half temp. Until I figured out I needed a new rad and hoses, my temp would get high. I hooked up the battery charger and was lucky that mine actually worked. My wires were all fired so I had to re-wire everything. You could re-wire it yourself and make it a switch activated aux fan for when your stuck in heavy traffic so you can flick it on and know you won't overheat.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
everlast

Sounds like your clutch is failing too.

You *could* do everything you said.. You could also run a dry ice bucket to cool the car, or ditch everything and run a Spa fan. Or, mount the radiator on the roof.

But its probably best to fix things correctly. The fan clutch is cheap, easy and provides more than enough cooling. I punished my stock cooling system this weekend, 35*C+ heat doing stop and go, then hard long pulls (with a turbo) while tuning and my coolant temp never wavered. No A/C fan installed.

Coincidentally, I have an A/C fan for sale.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Sounds like your clutch is failing too.

You *could* do everything you said.. You could also run a dry ice bucket to cool the car, or ditch everything and run a Spa fan. Or, mount the radiator on the roof.

But its probably best to fix things correctly. The fan clutch is cheap, easy and provides more than enough cooling. I punished my stock cooling system this weekend, 35*C+ heat doing stop and go, then hard long pulls (with a turbo) while tuning and my coolant temp never wavered. No A/C fan installed.

Coincidentally, I have an A/C fan for sale.
Clutch fan seems to be working good on mine now. Took about 5 minutes to take the old rad out and get everything going then the clutch fan.... Thing took almost 2 hrs to get off since it was original and was like welded on there >_<. So I swapped it and took the aux fan off. No problems, my temp does go up to half in bad heat + traffic, but doesn't go any higher.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #12
razzor
2nd Gear Member

A simple test for the fan clutch, run car to temp., use rolled up paper and just gently and carefully touch it to the moving fan.
Please be carefull and only touch the moving fan, if it slows or stops the clutch is toast.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
everlast

Or use your fingers. If you still have fingers, your clutch needs replacing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: