Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,827
Early Tests Pin Toyota Accidents on Drivers



I had a feeling that this might have been the case....

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Transportation has analyzed dozens of data recorders from Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles involved in accidents blamed on sudden acceleration and found that the throttles were wide open and the brakes weren't engaged at the time of the crash, people familiar with the findings said.

The early results suggest that some drivers who said their Toyotas and Lexuses surged out of control were mistakenly flooring the accelerator when they intended to jam on the brakes.
full story here http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...stryCollection
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
MiroE36
6th Gear Member
 
MiroE36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,896
anyone stupid enough to buy a toyota in my opinion is stupid enough to make that type of mistake...
__________________
1992 325i / Briliant rot - SOLD @ 301,000km
1998 318is / Arktic silber - SOLD @ 207,000km
2007 335i / Jet Black - CURRENT @ 28,000 km

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
magnus
6th Gear Member
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reykjavik
Posts: 3,483
Only in america can someone get killed by mistaking the accelarator with the brakes!!!!!
lol
__________________
http://pics.livejournal.com/blblblblx/pic/000r554e.gif

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter
 
ProStreetDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 823
Send a message via MSN to ProStreetDriver
funny how everything got hushed up the last little while and now its the driver's fault.
__________________
1997 BMW 540i/6 sport
1984 BMW 733i E23: Centra staggered 16" rims, Hartge strut brace, Hartge engine
1994 BMW 740i E32: Sold
ProStreetDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
cisco911
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
anyone stupid enough to buy a toyota in my opinion is stupid enough to make that type of mistake...
Why are people stupid for buying a toyota? Why is it stupid to buy a vehicle that is highly reliable and holds value?

Wait, its probably because your comparing it to your car. Cuz a 92 325 is a million times better than a new toyota!
__________________
I'm just a crazy m*thrf*cker, livin it up, not givin a f*ck, living life in the fast lane
cisco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911 View Post
Why are people stupid for buying a toyota? Why is it stupid to buy a vehicle that is highly reliable and holds value?

Wait, its probably because your comparing it to your car. Cuz a 92 325 is a million times better than a new toyota!
Lol.. I like Toyota. The hospital in Oshawa was putting in a new bus shelter and it fell on top of my mom's old 87' Corolla and it had a sunroof. Didn't leak or anything and you could see how the roof had a line from top to back due to the hard impact. Payout was 4grand to get it fixed from the hospital and we never got it fixed lol. Not to mention that car had ridiculous mileage. 700k before my parents went to a mini-van only because it needed a water pump and rad and my dad didn't want to turn a wrench on it anymore. I would buy a Toyota if they made a sick rwd car that doesn't cost me a arm and a leg
__________________
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!
 
Axxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetDriver View Post
funny how everything got hushed up the last little while and now its the driver's fault.
The only confirmed case is where the highway patrolman died, which I find rediculous. He's supposed to tell us how to drive yet didn't know how to react to an emergency situation. I had a similar throttle-stock-open situation in my uncle's mazda 3 due to shitty floor mats, what did I do? I just pulled the floor mat out from under the pedal by dragging my heal backwards on the mat. Easy.
__________________

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
MiroE36
6th Gear Member
 
MiroE36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911 View Post
Why are people stupid for buying a toyota? Why is it stupid to buy a vehicle that is highly reliable and holds value?

Wait, its probably because your comparing it to your car. Cuz a 92 325 is a million times better than a new toyota!
Well for one, my 92 used to drive better (don't have it any more, now i got a 98 318is) than both a 2004 Rav4 and a 2007 Camry SE (drove both, both were my ex-gfs) and they were terrible, even when they were brand spanking new, they felt cheap, and the transmissions are re-****ing-tarded. Not enjoyable at all. Trunk space was nice in the Camry though (but of course that is my top priority when buying a car). Mind you, the camry was over 35K to the door... Listen, you wana get your panties in a bunch because of what I said, by all means, old toyota's were great cars, no doubt about that, but the new ones are bad for the price that you are expected to pay. Buy a hundai if you really don't care about build quality. You'll pay 1/2 the price and get the same quality car. I would recon that could be classified as stupid. Wana call it an isolated incident, sure why not, but it will not change my mind, they are bad cars and I would never buy one. Would I want an old MR2, or a GT4 celica, **** yah, anything new that they make? **** NO!

At the end of the day, ask yourself, would you pay $35,000 for a Camry?
__________________
1992 325i / Briliant rot - SOLD @ 301,000km
1998 318is / Arktic silber - SOLD @ 207,000km
2007 335i / Jet Black - CURRENT @ 28,000 km

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
cisco911
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
Well for one, my 92 used to drive better (don't have it any more, now i got a 98 318is) than both a 2004 Rav4 and a 2007 Camry SE (drove both, both were my ex-gfs) and they were terrible, even when they were brand spanking new, they felt cheap, and the transmissions are re-****ing-tarded. Not enjoyable at all. Trunk space was nice in the Camry though (but of course that is my top priority when buying a car). Mind you, the camry was over 35K to the door... Listen, you wana get your panties in a bunch because of what I said, by all means, old toyota's were great cars, no doubt about that, but the new ones are bad for the price that you are expected to pay. Buy a hundai if you really don't care about build quality. You'll pay 1/2 the price and get the same quality car. I would recon that could be classified as stupid. Wana call it an isolated incident, sure why not, but it will not change my mind, they are bad cars and I would never buy one. Would I want an old MR2, or a GT4 celica, **** yah, anything new that they make? **** NO!

At the end of the day, ask yourself, would you pay $35,000 for a Camry?
The fact that your comparing an MR2 to a camry itself makes no sense. Of course a camry is 0 fun to drive. Thats not its purpose. Its suppose to be a reliable family sedan. My parents have had 2 camrys and my best friend has nothing but toyota. My parent's first one was traded into the dealer for the new one with over 400k on it, with original everything, except regular maintenance items. The new ones aren't as bulletproof as the old ones, but still great cars and do what they are intended to do very well. I don't see how you feel the camry has a cheap feel. My parents XLE is fully appointed and has great fit and finish.

PS: How can you mention toyota without mentioning the Supra???

PPS: Hyundai Sonata Fully loaded(equivalent to XLE) is $33,000+TAX= approx. $37,500
__________________
I'm just a crazy m*thrf*cker, livin it up, not givin a f*ck, living life in the fast lane

Last edited by cisco911; 07-14-2010 at 01:45 PM.
cisco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
5style
Hatters gon Hatt
 
5style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronot
Posts: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911 View Post
Why are people stupid for buying a toyota? Why is it stupid to buy a vehicle that is highly reliable and holds value?

Wait, its probably because your comparing it to your car. Cuz a 92 325 is a million times better than a new toyota!
Toyota is a pile of garbage, the quality is sub par and its solely an appliance, having no soul what so ever. From ugly cheap plastics, to wobbly door panels, trims that don't stay on, uneven panel gaps all over and generally misfitted interiors ( perhaps this is the ontario plant's fault?) It is a over hyped product and in base model trim so barren and sub par it cant even live up to its own reputation. Mechanicals are splendid too, valve ticking which in most cases is a sign of premature cam failure ( there is even a recall for this)

Sorry, truth. Don't be such a fanboy.
__________________
Cayenne hunting!
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
propr'one
op sucks cock
 
propr'one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: T.
Posts: 17,842
Send a message via MSN to propr'one
my family owns a 2007 camry. So far we've had no problems with the car. I can't say that i love it, or i think it was worth the 30K, but a lot of this toyota bashing is unfounded in my experience.

edit: It is kindof a bitch to keep taking it in for recalls, though.
__________________
I run a canadian led kit & hid kit company, if you have any questions about led headlights or hid kits in canada or would like to check out our products please contact me here: http://absolutehid.ca

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, cat delete, vance hines csone, YEC racing tune
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #12
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
my family owns a 2007 camry. So far we've had no problems with the car. I can't say that i love it, or i think it was worth the 30K, but a lot of this toyota bashing is unfounded in my experience.

edit: It is kindof a bitch to keep taking it in for recalls, though.
At least they recall it.... unlike BMW... Let's see.... Hydrolock, tranny issues, electrical, sunroof - all known, no fixes...
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #13
cisco911
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
Toyota is a pile of garbage, the quality is sub par and its solely an appliance, having no soul what so ever. From ugly cheap plastics, to wobbly door panels, trims that don't stay on, uneven panel gaps all over and generally misfitted interiors ( perhaps this is the ontario plant's fault?) It is a over hyped product and in base model trim so barren and sub par it cant even live up to its own reputation. Mechanicals are splendid too, valve ticking which in most cases is a sign of premature cam failure ( there is even a recall for this)

Sorry, truth. Don't be such a fanboy.
And what is the basis of your comments? All toyotas I have seen have been well put together. The fit and finish of all the toyotas I have seen( and I have seen many, many toyotas) has been great. Is the base model cheap and plastic, yes, that is why its a base model! Is a BMW base model nicer? Yes, but base price is $40k. Makes it easy to make a nice base model when your charging that much. As for engine issues, yes they have had some, but they have also corrected them. Of course your BMWs don't have any of these issues, right? I mean the fact that you have two replace window regulators every two blocks is perfectly acceptable, right?

We have to be realistic and note the good and bad of every car regardless of whether we like it or not. I do that, you don't. Therefore, your the one that should be less of a fanboy
__________________
I'm just a crazy m*thrf*cker, livin it up, not givin a f*ck, living life in the fast lane
cisco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
5style
Hatters gon Hatt
 
5style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronot
Posts: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911 View Post
And what is the basis of your comments? All toyotas I have seen have been well put together. The fit and finish of all the toyotas I have seen( and I have seen many, many toyotas) has been great. Is the base model cheap and plastic, yes, that is why its a base model! Is a BMW base model nicer? Yes, but base price is $40k. Makes it easy to make a nice base model when your charging that much. As for engine issues, yes they have had some, but they have also corrected them. Of course your BMWs don't have any of these issues, right? I mean the fact that you have two replace window regulators every two blocks is perfectly acceptable, right?

We have to be realistic and note the good and bad of every car regardless of whether we like it or not. I do that, you don't. Therefore, your the one that should be less of a fanboy
I didn't once compare toyota to bmw, so get off your high horse. No where, infact did it say ohh bmw is better then toyota, because , unless youre retarded its not even the same segment of vehicle. There are plenty of cars in its price range that are 14 times more solid then a toyota and you know it. For example, a new malibu is miles ahead of a camery.

A kia forte, and sadly cobalt and many other entry levels are way above a corolla and in the same price class.

Now what?

You seem to think people are comparing toyota to bmw here.... not at all. Compare apples to apples and toyota is still a rotten one
__________________
Cayenne hunting!
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
Silver Snail
First Lady
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 120
I work service at Toyota and there is a million recalls... but they do get fixed... Isn't it Ford that if you slam the door hard enough you can no longer turn it on until you get it towed to a dealer and pay them (and the tow-truck driver) to hit the "reset" button?

I actually think Toyota isn't all that bad, however I wouldn't buy a new one (nor would I buy a brand new anything I think that in itself is one of the dumbest purchases a person could ever make...) and that's not because I work there. :p

Cobalts aren't that great either they have wobbly pedals at least the SS that I've driven... I also had a G4 rental for 3 weeks, and it wasn't to dandy either...

Toyota has Lexus? lol
__________________
Oh no it's a VW owner!
-

TMTuned | Unitronic | AAC | SEM
Silver Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015