Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Brake issues after "track" use

Hey everyone. Since the "super autocross" was cancelled a couple of us did up our own road course to make up for it. I have an E46 M3 with Competition Package (with the larger Euro CSL cross drilled brakes). On a lot of the braking zones I was doing full on stops from 190 km/h.

On the first hard lap, a car following me said a big puff of brake dust came out during the hardest stop. After that, I had a bit of a shudder while braking. I let them cool down and the shudder never returned.

After a few more laps with max-attack braking, at one corner my pedal got really soft and my brakes didn't perform nearly as well. I made it around the corner and on the next straight, tried my brakes again and they were definitely faded away. Drove several cool down laps, without braking, and then parked the car.

I could be imagining it but it kind of feels like my brake pedal isn't quite as firm as it used to be a few hours after the track use now. Could the brakes be affected permanently after this kind of aggressive use? Am I just imagining that it's not quite as firm?

I know I'll need new pads and rotors soon anyways as there's 66,000 kms on the original pads and rotors. I'll be installing the stock Competition pkg brakes. I was also considering installing stainless steel brake lines. Should I upgrade the brake fluid? This kind of use is EXTREMELY rare for me but I would like to do it again occasionally. Thanks a lot guys.
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Yeah, sounds like you boiled the fluid... You could try to bleed it out, but since you are in there, might as well put some good stuff in there to get rid of the old, original stuff I bet that is still in the system.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

The brake fluid should be just under 2 years old, it should have been changed during the inspection 1 that was performend August 2008.

My free-scheduled-maintenance expires this August, so I'm going to have the inspection 2 performed right before it expires. That will include another brake fluid flush. Should I install OEM fluid for free, or pay to buy upgraded fluid of some kind?
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Upgrade the fluid, as the original did not withstand the hard driving that was occurring. Brake fluid and efficient braking before the loss of performance should not occur that quickly under any circumstances. Most car clubs that make you do tech inspections prior to a track event require the brake fluid be not more than 6 months old. After that you run the risk of weaker performance. Just a heads up..........

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Since I am a cheapass, my opinion is biased ... I'd just go for the free fluid from BMW. Not that it is bad or anything, I use a fluid with similar boiling temperature characteristics on my E30, and I track it a fair bit... Don't usually have problems, even at a place like Shannonville. Seeming you don't normally use the brakes that hard, it should be fine.

But, if you do want to look into fancy fluids, check into ATE Super Blue, or the line of Motul fluids.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Targabuild
2nd Gear Member

I had new fluid in my E24, and fresh pads on the Big Brembos,- I had minimal fade. Too bad we blew the clutch on the last lap!

You know we were all lucky that it was dry and the contractor (who happens to own one of the Vipers and insited we still hold the event) graded the gravel for us that morning, you should see that access road after a rainfall though

Can't wait for the next one... ( and for that construction to end!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0015.JPG (93.7 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0081.JPG (82.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0133.JPG (96.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0222.JPG (116.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0232.JPG (112.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0334.JPG (100.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0336.JPG (94.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0387.JPG (94.7 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0458.JPG (121.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Targabuild
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstearnsy View Post
Hey everyone. Since the "super autocross" was cancelled a couple of us did up our own road course to make up for it. I have an E46 M3 with Competition Package (with the larger Euro CSL cross drilled brakes). On a lot of the braking zones I was doing full on stops from 190 km/h.

On the first hard lap, a car following me said a big puff of brake dust came out during the hardest stop. After that, I had a bit of a shudder while braking. I let them cool down and the shudder never returned.

After a few more laps with max-attack braking, at one corner my pedal got really soft and my brakes didn't perform nearly as well. I made it around the corner and on the next straight, tried my brakes again and they were definitely faded away. Drove several cool down laps, without braking, and then parked the car.

I could be imagining it but it kind of feels like my brake pedal isn't quite as firm as it used to be a few hours after the track use now. Could the brakes be affected permanently after this kind of aggressive use? Am I just imagining that it's not quite as firm?

I know I'll need new pads and rotors soon anyways as there's 66,000 kms on the original pads and rotors. I'll be installing the stock Competition pkg brakes. I was also considering installing stainless steel brake lines. Should I upgrade the brake fluid? This kind of use is EXTREMELY rare for me but I would like to do it again occasionally. Thanks a lot guys.

Next time you should let me drive....
Old 07-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter

Send a message via MSN to ProStreetDriver
My brakes were also doing some weird stuff too... I have the ceramic pads on my car with new rotors. Within about 1000kms of driving, the car had a slight vibration when braking, but if I pumped the pedal a couple times it was fine and other times it wouldn't even vibrate at all. Then after the 3rd run on Saturday around the track, the vibration disappeared and appears to be gone now lol.
ProStreetDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

The stock brake system on most BMW's, even M cars is typically only good for a few hard laps before brake fade starts setting in. My old man's e39 M5 would start experiencing brake fade after 5 or 6 laps of Dunnville (big heavy car + 400hp + tight track = lots of braking lol)

Stainless lines + higher rated brake fluid + a set of track pads = sweet ass braking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: