Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
6appeal
3rd Gear Member

Electronic gremlin in my 330i: no turn signal, steering wheel controls

I've recently had some issues with my car that I wanted to share in case anyone else has experienced or is experiencing the same thing. It is easiest to mention each occurence/incident:

1) My turn signal indicator works intermittently. I'll push the stalk down or up depending on which direction I am turning and I don't here the tick-tock and the lights don't blink. Or sometimes they do blink but don't cancel or self-cancel.

2) Green fog light indicator works intermittently even though the foglights are actually on.

3) Steering wheel radio controls work intermittently. No volume control or freedom to change tracks or radio stations. One time I tried to change the radio station and the radio kept scrolling through the stations. At this point, I could not stop it, change audio sources, or even turn the radio off.

4) High beams malfunction at the same time the turn signal indicator malfunctions.

5) One time the gauges stayed lit even though my LCM was set to "0" or 12 'o' clock. I turned the car on, and they went out.

6) No visual confirmation when vehicle is locked via remote key.

I've taken it to Budds' BMW Oakville and my service advisor presumes it is the slip ring, which he claims affects all controls on the steering wheel and steering column. I am still waiting to hear back from him.

Just want to know if anyone has experienced anything similar or if anyone thinks they know what it could be. I have an M3 steering wheel. I didn't have any time to take it to my ordinary guys and it is a safety concern so I had to take it to the dealer.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Junaid
4th Gear Member

could be bad ignition switch, that causes all sorts of funny things happening

Needs more mods
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
sonny
6th Gear Member

Beware of the dealership. They'll charge you an arm and leg for a part that you don't even need.. you go in for one problem, you'll come out with two more.. investigate here first and don't buy into the dealers diagnosis. Through experience, 4 times of the 5, they replace the wrong part, then the car has to go in again the following week. And the bills pile up. Learned this lesson a long time ago. Steer clear..

Take it to Bimmersport. Charlie or Johnny will sort it out. Good guys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: