Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
toofast4u88
1st Gear Newbie

Check Engine Light from low grade gas???

I just went to test drive a 2000 323ci and the engine light was on. The owner said that he put regular in it and that the check engine goes away as soon as you put premium in it. He also said it happens if he does this to his other bimmers. Does this actually happen? The car was in great shape otherwise, but I wouldnt buy a car with check engine light on.
toofast4u88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
///eP
3rd Gear Member

oh yeah, that happens, my brother 'borrowed' my e36 m3 and returned it filled up on regular, ALL the check lights came on, i had to siphon the gas out of the car, and put ultra 94 back into it.
///eP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
5thseries
biggerthen3

why would he put regular fuel into the car firstly..... thats a fail, and the check engine light shouldnt come on.. you should hear a clunk sound coming from the engine, once the high grade fuel runs threw, it will go away automatically

atleast 89 octane+...
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
toofast4u88
1st Gear Newbie

Will the check engine light go away as soon as premium is put in? I thought these lights had to be reset using a computer.
toofast4u88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thseries View Post
why would he put regular fuel into the car firstly..... thats a fail, and the check engine light shouldnt come on.. you should hear a clunk sound coming from the engine, once the high grade fuel runs threw, it will go away automatically

atleast 89 octane+...
Huh? Not trying to be rude however you have no clue what you are talking about. If you fill up a 2.5Ltr or higher displacement engine from BMW with 89Octane your check engine light will come up because your knock sensor is telling your computer that the engine is knocking due to cheap fuel. Your computer retards the timing giving you less power and you will not hear any knocking coming from your engine, unless you have a faulty knock sensor. If you do have a faulty knock sensor and you keep pushing your car you will eventually put a hole through your piston(s)

Having said that once you fill up with higher octane fuel your CHK Engine light will go out.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Porter86
shiftin gears

Send a message via MSN to Porter86
I'd suggest, make the guys put sunoco 94 in it, and prove it to you, that the it turns off. be at the pump as he's running on fumes, and see what happens.
Porter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
344i
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble65 View Post
Huh? Not trying to be rude however you have no clue what you are talking about. If you fill up a 2.5Ltr or higher displacement engine from BMW with 89Octane your check engine light will come up because your knock sensor is telling your computer that the engine is knocking due to cheap fuel. Your computer retards the timing giving you less power and you will not hear any knocking coming from your engine, unless you have a faulty knock sensor. If you do have a faulty knock sensor and you keep pushing your car you will eventually put a hole through your piston(s)

Having said that once you fill up with higher octane fuel your CHK Engine light will go out.
hate to break it to you, 89 doesn t knock, 87 does.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Make sure he wasn't putting 87 in it regularly...although he would probably lie to you.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble65 View Post

Please explain how an engine running with retard timing will eventually put a hole through the piston(s).
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Shouldn’t a modern engine with all parameters working properly adjust for octane regardless?
My e39 ran like shit until I replaced all the o2’s now it rips the tires 1st 2nd and 3rd no CEL came on at all. The cpu. Shouldn’t throw a code until something is failing or failed.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
Shouldn’t a modern engine with all parameters working properly adjust for octane regardless?
My e39 ran like shit until I replaced all the o2’s now it rips the tires 1st 2nd and 3rd no CEL came on at all. The cpu. Shouldn’t throw a code until something is failing or failed.
That's my thinking too but it doesnt mean Im right. I think that when there's detonation due to low octane, a modern engine would make adjustment like retard the timing to avoid engine damage. So that's why I asked the gent why would an engine with retard timing would damage a piston, much less put a whole thru it.

Need someone who knows the facts to chime in.
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #12
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Try and find a car where the owner is not a moron... the fact that he says he does it to his other bimmers shows he's pretty clueless about them, why the hell would you put in regular where it clearly states you need premium. Alarm bells are ringing..

Borrow a scanner or find some way to figure out why the CEL is on. A pre purchase inspection would do it.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #13
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4u88 View Post
I just went to test drive a 2000 323ci and the engine light was on. The owner said that he put regular in it and that the check engine goes away as soon as you put premium in it. He also said it happens if he does this to his other bimmers. Does this actually happen? The car was in great shape otherwise, but I wouldnt buy a car with check engine light on.
I would not buy a car from someone who is so cheap that he does not use the required fuel in his car. What else did he cheap out on?
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
I would not buy a car from someone who is so cheap that he does not use the required fuel in his car. What else did he cheap out on?
Agreed. Clearly shows a lack of regard to vehicle requirements and specs. God knows how often he changed the oil on his cars if he's too cheap to spend an extra $3 on a tank of fuel.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I use 87 in my E30, but I run 91 every 3rd tank just to get the junk out. My engine light always comes on Should I run 89 always instead of the 87?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: