Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
VeeRSixOh
1st Gear Newbie

e34 520i

Hey guys... I'm currently on the hunt for a decent daily driver as I won't be using my project car during the winter time.

I'm considering an e34 520i that's actually a grey import. I'm not looking for huge power, and on the other hand am almost sure the 150hp would be enough.

I'm also thinking of an e30 or e36.

I've had a 2000 e39 530d in Europe and had a 2002 530i about a year ago, but I'm looking for something slightly more old school.

My question revolves around the 520i, so if anyone has any wisdom, please chime in!

Thanks
VeeRSixOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
simplycars
6th Gear Member

520i has the same m50 engine as 320i.
Small engine for a large car - you better off looking for a 525i.
520i is not a grey import car as it was allowed to North America without problems, but was not offered here for sale.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
VeeRSixOh
1st Gear Newbie

The car I'm considering is actually a grey import. It was shipped over several months ago and still is on german papers. Once purchased, the seller (actually a dealer) will register the car in Ontario.

Main reason for considerinf this car is that it is euro, so manual climate control, lights, manual windows etc. Down the line an engine swap is always an option.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
simplycars
6th Gear Member

fyi grey import cars are cars that are not allowed in North America, but were imported as other similar vehicles - e.g. e34 m5 euro imported as e34 535i etc
520i was allowed and hence it was a regular import.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
VeeRSixOh
1st Gear Newbie

So now I'm confused. As far as I know, a grey import vehicle is one that does not meet CMVSS/FMVSS standards.
This vehicle, just like my grey import VW, does not have canadian/US homologation, even though other e34's (or mk3 Golfs) have been sold in North America.

By default, ANY vehicle that has been built outside of CMVSS/FMVSS standards and is less than 15 years old is a grey import and is not allowed in Canada. If it is older than 15 years old, like my VW, then it can be imported but is still considered a grey import. This goes for any vehicle, sold in North America or not.

The car I'm looking at is a 1991. I can guarantee that if anyone tried to import this car from Germany before 2006, it would be denied entry into the country. Once on Canadian soil, it would either have to be deported back to destroyed under the supervision of Customs Canada.

But I digress...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
JINT
5th Gear Member

why would u want a 520i, it's a tragic car, it eats more gas than a 525i and from my experience very underpowered engine considering it's in a big heavy sedan. Just get the US spec 1994-1995 525i and call it a day.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
If it still matters, there are some important parts on the 520i that are not the same as the NA 525i. The brakes for instance are smaller and different. Just kind of keep that in mind as those parts and a few more will be hard to find when replacement time comes around.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: