Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Short Shift & Clutch

Well my clutch is going to need replacing in about a month or two. Looking into getting a short shift done along with the clutch change since it makes sense. Just wanting to get some opinions about options out there. I'll link the short shift and the clutch that I've been eying for some time. Thinking I might even get a pressure plate along with the clutch just for the hell of it.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/BMW/325/1987/Single

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/BM-Short-Shifter-Kit
Old 06-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Buy the "Richie" ssk

PM Richie about it, maybe he has or can get m0ar in stock.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
dannyb
4th Gear Member

^ that or a Z3 1.9 shifter, as for the clutch are you just now learning to drive standard? Wait until you are good and replace it with a stock one unless you plan on boosting
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I've been driving stick for a week now. Getting pretty decent as the drives into T.O. with traffic have pretty much made me a pro lol. Still going to be about a month or so before I change the clutch over, just want something strong and reliable that won't wear out so quickly. That's why I picked out the spec clutches as they are meant for racing ect.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

You don't want a racing clutch unless you're racing, you want a street clutch. You'll ruin a racing clutch in no time by street driving it. They're not meant to slip the way you need to on the street.

Trust me, if you've been driving stick for a week, you are not a pro. No offense meant.

With your stock clutch in, learn to heel / toe. That is a VERY necessary technique if you ever want to track the car, and nearly impossible to learn with a difficult clutch; you need some forgiveness when learning or you'll either crash (locking up the back wheels) or wreck the clutch in a hurry.

There is no benefit in replacing the clutch with a grippier one unless you are making a lot more torque, ie, turbo. If you start going over 220 or 240ft/lb, that's when you need a clutch.

So all that said, I got a South Bend clutch, stage 3 for my turbo. It chatters a bit, has only slightly more engagement issues and stiffness and holds my turbo no problem. I'd hate to daily drive it though, if I didn't need it.

I have a Z3 1.9 shifter, it is pretty good, but the biggest improvement in the shifter was replacing all the bushings and the 'bitch clip'. That tightened everything right down.

I'd recommend the UUC shifter kit and all the DSSR. Hot shit right there.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
You don't want a racing clutch unless you're racing, you want a street clutch. You'll ruin a racing clutch in no time by street driving it. They're not meant to slip the way you need to on the street.

Trust me, if you've been driving stick for a week, you are not a pro. No offense meant.

With your stock clutch in, learn to heel / toe. That is a VERY necessary technique if you ever want to track the car, and nearly impossible to learn with a difficult clutch; you need some forgiveness when learning or you'll either crash (locking up the back wheels) or wreck the clutch in a hurry.

There is no benefit in replacing the clutch with a grippier one unless you are making a lot more torque, ie, turbo. If you start going over 220 or 240ft/lb, that's when you need a clutch.

So all that said, I got a South Bend clutch, stage 3 for my turbo. It chatters a bit, has only slightly more engagement issues and stiffness and holds my turbo no problem. I'd hate to daily drive it though, if I didn't need it.

I have a Z3 1.9 shifter, it is pretty good, but the biggest improvement in the shifter was replacing all the bushings and the 'bitch clip'. That tightened everything right down.

I'd recommend the UUC shifter kit and all the DSSR. Hot shit right there.
Well I'm not a pro, just meant that I'm nice and easy and no jerking or anything now when I launch and shift. I can do some pretty decent drifts now (was testing the new rad for pressure ect.) and everything seems to be going fine. Maybe I should invest in a stage 1 clutch I guess? I have no clue where to get a new stock clutch from and if it costs more then a stage 2 clutch, then why not just get the stage 2 one and be done with it. I know I need a new clutch because I have to floor it in order to shift and even then it gets a bit tough.

The UUC shifter is about 350$ on the DDM Tuning website, I have no clue what DSSR is though. If you could enlighten me about the difference that would be nice
Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
Well I'm not a pro, just meant that I'm nice and easy and no jerking or anything now when I launch and shift. I can do some pretty decent drifts now (was testing the new rad for pressure ect.) and everything seems to be going fine. Maybe I should invest in a stage 1 clutch I guess? I have no clue where to get a new stock clutch from and if it costs more then a stage 2 clutch, then why not just get the stage 2 one and be done with it. I know I need a new clutch because I have to floor it in order to shift and even then it gets a bit tough.

The UUC shifter is about 350$ on the DDM Tuning website, I have no clue what DSSR is though. If you could enlighten me about the difference that would be nice
If you want to see the z3 1.9 lever with a UUC DSSR go back to my suspension refresh thread.

Also, just because you have to mash the clutch to the floor to shift doesn't necessarily mean you need a new clutch, you could have air in the line, or a bad slave cylinder.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
If you want to see the z3 1.9 lever with a UUC DSSR go back to my suspension refresh thread.

Also, just because you have to mash the clutch to the floor to shift doesn't necessarily mean you need a new clutch, you could have air in the line, or a bad slave cylinder.
Nah my father said I need a new one shortly and same with my other friend who has a E30.

I'll check out your thread once again. How is the new shifter?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
How is the new shifter?
Feels great and I didn't even replace all the bushings under there. All I did was put a new lever with a new ball cup and the DSSR. The feel would be even tighter if I had replaced the coupling and the bushing in the carrier.

I would have let you check out the feel and throw on my car at the cruise if I knew you wanted to rebuild the shifter.

Take my word for it though, it's nice
Old 06-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
everlast

Definitely bleed the clutch first, but if I was in your shoes I'd get a stock clutch. $130 on autopartsway.ca. You'll need a release and pilot bearing (as you will with any clutch) and if you want to renew the pressure plate, its only about $85 I think. Count on turning the flywheel at a machine shop too.

The DSSR replaces the selector rod with a design that has support on both sides, instead of just one side, making a much more solid 'joint' to the transmission. You can remove almost all the slack by changing all the bushings and installing a DSSR. Its a much better upgrade than a shorter shifter if you can only spend $x. You can always look for a cheap short shifter later, easy to install.

Seriously though, learn to heel toe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZeuSgEj4
Old 06-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Definitely bleed the clutch first, but if I was in your shoes I'd get a stock clutch. $130 on autopartsway.ca. You'll need a release and pilot bearing (as you will with any clutch) and if you want to renew the pressure plate, its only about $85 I think. Count on turning the flywheel at a machine shop too.

The DSSR replaces the selector rod with a design that has support on both sides, instead of just one side, making a much more solid 'joint' to the transmission. You can remove almost all the slack by changing all the bushings and installing a DSSR. Its a much better upgrade than a shorter shifter if you can only spend $x. You can always look for a cheap short shifter later, easy to install.

Seriously though, learn to heel toe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZeuSgEj4
Alright, looks like I'll be going that root then. I'll just get a regular clutch with new pressure plates and get the DSSR and a short shift to go along with it. Now I just need to save some $$ to get the parts and then install =D
Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
belmin21
1st Gear Newbie

u can get one on ebay for 30$
belmin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 AM   #13
everlast

One what? A clutch? I wouldn't put a $30 clutch in anything I was going to drive. $30 short shifter, maybe.

Ok, I wouldn't put a $30 ebay shifter in either, but that wouldn't be that bad. Honestly, the shifter bar is the cheap part. The linkage and bushings, etc, is where the price adds up.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
belmin21
1st Gear Newbie

the short shifter i mean.. lol

its actually a good one i have it and it works amazing !!!!
belmin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmin21 View Post
the short shifter i mean.. lol

its actually a good one i have it and it works amazing !!!!
for $30 you must be referring to one of those shift lever extensions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: