Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Get the ones from Trev!!!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Yea, if you guys think it's best then I should pop by and grab it off him tomorrow then at the meet. Can I get a thermostat from Crappy Tire? I think this one is about to go on the frits because I was getting pretty close to red when I finally got to Timmies. The cooling fan spins and the coolant is topped up. So I can only think of the thermostat being the problem. Even then, my batteries in my cluster are going so my ECO for gas and my RPM gauge don't work (that's next weeks fix). So maybe that might be throwing the reading off? Just looking for possible hints. I'm getting the last rad hose that I need tomorrow and hopefully getting a rad later on next week (since mine is just starting to leak coolant but it's not really a leak tbh). Just want to get all this shit fixed >_<
Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #18
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Check the v belt on the waterpump to make sure it's tight, thermostat should fail in the open, if the belts tight check the clutch fan, start the motor and stick a rolled up newspaper in it, if it stops easily it's ****ed.

If the temp gauge is jumping around it's electrical, steady rise is cooling system

If only one side of your cluster is out smack the dash above it, usually a worn out conection, you'll see lots of e30's driving around with people smacking the dash.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #19
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

20w50 is the good stuff to run in your M20 during the summer. The rest gets burned up so fast you don';t even know.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #20
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
20w50 is the good stuff to run in your M20 during the summer. The rest gets burned up so fast you don';t even know.
Yea, I picked up Castrol GTX n/s 20w-50 like you guys mentioned. Might be gay during the winter for starting but w/e, I can let it warm up.

Richie, I figured it out in the dark lol. My coolant hose running from the reservoir to the thermostat, the hose has a break at the clamp, so I'm guessing the hose got old just like the other one I replaced. Grabbing it off my buddies donor car for 10$ and I'm thinking I might as well get a new thermostat also. Also my rad where the plastic sides meet, it's barely leaking as well. So I'm going to switch the hose over to the newer used one that's perfectly fine and get some of that rad leak stop crap that I just heard about which should stop the rad leak itself where the plastic sides meet. When I opened the reservoir, it was empty poor girl ran pretty dry so I put some more coolant in it for now. I figure since it sat so long without moving, the hoses probably went for a shit. Also since I'm a new stick driver the first day I was gunning it down all the gears ahhaha.. so now everything is broken in or broken, but it's the only two last things that need fixing, besides body work (that's for another day). Hoping to have it fixed and test run'd before the meet tomorrow. I really want to bring my car out so you guys can see my POS E30 ahaha..

Anyways, thanks for the tips. I've learned more then my whole life time in 3 weeks with this forum about cars. Tomorrow is going to be a shit day since it's first oil change and coolant leak fixing day >_< oh man...
Old 06-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #21
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
You should run 10w40 in winter. 20w50 is too thick.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #22
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
You should run 10w40 in winter. 20w50 is too thick.
Ok, thanks Rudy. PM is inbound btw. I was thinking 20w-50 would be like glue during winter.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #23
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

from from august 2008 to june 2010, my M20 engine has only had 2 oil changes. and i drove a LOT (to and from bronx, NY) and so much pointless driving on heavy gassing.

and i ran 20w50 castrol. its the perfect summer oil for e30 m20!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #24
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
from from august 2008 to june 2010, my M20 engine has only had 2 oil changes. and i drove a LOT (to and from bronx, NY) and so much pointless driving on heavy gassing.

and i ran 20w50 castrol. its the perfect summer oil for e30 m20!!!
Rofl! That ain't right >_< at least we know the engines are tough as nails.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:50 AM   #25
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

If you cant find a way to do an oil change, you aint ready for an E30. Simple as that!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #26
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

+1 on 10w40 during the winter, thats what i ran.

Also I recommend you get a proper thermostat, i've always had problems with the crappy tire ones.

Get a Wahler one from Autopartsway.ca ~$40, shipping is free if you order over $75.
Also the cause of your car running hot could be a weak fan clutch, take a roll of newspaper and try to stop the fan while running. If you can stop it easily you have a bad fan clutch.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #27
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M42cab View Post
It should be noted that M20's don't need oil changes, they just burn the oil off, and you just add some more. New oil every 2500kms. All you have to do is change the filter every 100,000kms!!
QFT...The 2 m20 powered e30s were both this way. One burned it and the other slowly leaks it. Must be setup this way from the factory!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #28
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
+1 on 10w40 during the winter, thats what i ran.

Also I recommend you get a proper thermostat, i've always had problems with the crappy tire ones.

Get a Wahler one from Autopartsway.ca ~$40, shipping is free if you order over $75.
Also the cause of your car running hot could be a weak fan clutch, take a roll of newspaper and try to stop the fan while running. If you can stop it easily you have a bad fan clutch.
The thermostat is fine, I just want to replace it just to be on the safe side of things. I did the newspaper trick and it works fine so good news there. Getting the rad hose off my buddy later today so that should solve my problem asap along with putting that aint-freeze stop leak stuff into the rad itself since the metal meets plastic seems to have a wet look to it.

I was afraid of the head gasket going and leaking into the oil (I think that's what happens). But when I checked the dip stick, there wasn't anything funny with the oil on the stick, and actually the motor oil looked nice and clean (who knows if it had a oil change done somewhat recently from the previous owner).
Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #29
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I'm surprised no one has mentioned MGM (Marcus Glarner Motors) here. He's in Port Perry right above Oshawa. I get 90% + of my parts from him and if there's something that needs to be done above my skill level the car goes to him. He's an avid BMW fan as that's pretty much all he works on except for the odd Ferrari!!!! Just my two cents again.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #30
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
He's an avid BMW fan as that's pretty much all he works on except for the odd Ferrari!!!! Just my two cents again.
I'm pretty sure he'd laugh in your face if you went there expecting a quick lube type service.......lol

Unless things have changed and he's really slow.
Thats not the type of business he is looking for, and rightfully so.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: