Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Hhutch
1st Gear Newbie

E38 Wiper Issue

I have a '95 E38 that I'm experiencing wiper issues with. I don't think it's relays unless it's trying to cycle both ways at once. The symptoms are: Wipers start moving and stop within inches of home and then I hear a buzzing coming from the drive, not the relays. I can manually assist them and they sweep but once they get back to home, the problems starts again.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

I've sprayed Moovit on the outer bushings but haven't looked into how much is involved in digging my way into the inner linkage. It does seem to have a couple stiff spots, but nothing that should stop it dead.

Thanks in advance for all the advice I know you're going to shower me with lol.
Hhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Does that happen in any mode (intermittent, low, high) or just a specific one?

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Hhutch
1st Gear Newbie

All across the board.

It almost seems like rounded teeth on a drive gear to be honest. Slipping under load, but with a little help it finds purchase until 3/4 through the out cycle and then sweeps back fine on the return.

If my estimations are correct, to get at the drive/linkage I should only need to take off the arms, the valence trim/seals and the small inspection cover against the driver's side fender. Does that sound about right?

I found myself another fairly significant issue too - one of the pain the you-know-what heater hoses from the back of the engine to the control valve has sprung a small leak. I see lots of swearing and bloody knuckles in my immediate future.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
V12
2nd Gear Member

[quote=Hhutch;1425742]
experiencing wiper issues........... heater hoses from the back of the engine to the control valve has sprung a small leak. I see lots of swearing and bloody knuckles in my immediate future. QUOTE]

Sounds like the metal sleeve bushings in the wiper assembly joints have siezed. Easier to replace it with one from a newer model than to R&R them ( which is possible)

Heater hoses at the control valve is a bit of a pain too as it is near the firewall with little space to work in. Just make sure you are not wearing a belt when you do this as you will be leaning into the middle of the car and the belt can scratch your fender.

Let the swearing begin.

E38 5.4L V12
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Hhutch
1st Gear Newbie

Already dealt with the heater hose temporarily by giving it a bit of a trim. As for the wipers, I think your diagnosis sounds about right. I assume you're talking about replacing the whole linkage assembly as opposed to replacing the bushings alone. Looks like it will be $105 + tax for a linkage of a '98 and an afternoon's worth of swearing to get it done.

Tks for the advice. I'll let you know when I get my hands dirty if you were 100% right.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: