Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #31
black bnr32
3rd Gear Member

just trying to keep the info honest...nothing to prove here

The 450whp S52 recipe is relatively proven, no?

-Vortech T-trim @ ~ 15psi or 50k rpm
-42lb injectors
-Bosch 803 MAF
-AA or Nick G off the shelf tuning
-RMS headers, your choice of dual 2.5" or single 3" exhaust such as AA race or Euro Supersprint
-RMS aftercooler
-any quality example of water injection
-M50 intake manifold
-schrick cams
-ken belle boost-a-pump or Walbro 255
black bnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:48 AM   #32
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by black bnr32 View Post
just trying to keep the info honest...nothing to prove here

The 450whp S52 recipe is relatively proven, no?

-Vortech T-trim @ ~ 15psi or 50k rpm
-42lb injectors
-Bosch 803 MAF
-AA or Nick G off the shelf tuning
-RMS headers, your choice of dual 2.5" or single 3" exhaust such as AA race or Euro Supersprint
-RMS aftercooler
-any quality example of water injection
-M50 intake manifold
-schrick cams
-ken belle boost-a-pump or Walbro 255
so you list a bunch of expensive upgrades after telling me you only need a fuel pump lol
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #33
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

I'm confused. What was this thread even about?

LOL
Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #34
black bnr32
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwconnect View Post
Now if your talking 400whp-450whp your going to need to upgrade internals, drive shaft, LSD, brakes, fluids, fuel pump ect.
still just respectfully disagreeing to this statement...everything in this statement except the fuel pump has been proven to be 450whp capable
black bnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #35
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black bnr32 View Post
still just respectfully disagreeing to this statement...everything in this statement except the fuel pump has been proven to be 450whp capable
If you're more than doubling the HP you'd need to do brakes and suspension without a doubt. The stock units don't stop you from making the HP but might stop you from staying alive long enough to enjoy it!
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #36
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

/\ what he said
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #37
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e36328turbo.html

367 whp for a 328is Stage 2 turbo, lowered compression, stock internal engine. 450 whp will definitely demand a built motor. 400 whp could be in reach but with stock internals I'd question reliability.
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #38
gnarfy
2nd Gear Member

I run a stage 2 TT kit since 10k Miles... no problem at all, did autoX / Drag few times, near 400WHP/400TQ, and nothing broke... no driveshaft, no diff, nada...

only thing I did to prevent is I installed a AA DSB (Differential Support Bracket)...

1999 Titanium silver M3, Technique Tuning stage II turbo
gnarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #39
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Also what are u gonna do with the car? like just street or street and track time... bimmers arent straight line cars.. there ment to handle.. and the supercharger delivers the power and no lag... also its a bit more reliable and u got less to worry about the small things that can go wrong....

I personaly love the aa kit... its fun and its tamed// IMO... also make sure u re-enforce the subframe,.. and i think you should do other mods before FI... like suspension and brakes... atleast to m3 brakes.. good pads.. fluids, ss lines and remmeber u need atleast a stage II clutch kit from bimmerworld... i think the LTW fw with the m5 clutch.. it should hold that power well.. also the pump, also good suspension components are key.. like stiffer sway bars, a nice lsd if its FI i would go with 2.91 lsd... cuz the 3.23 is really bad on highways... the m52 is a good motor to boost... also a thicker head gasket and arp studs are good
Remember its not just the speed.. u need a way to control the car and slow it down..
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #40
Mr_Bimmer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
Also what are u gonna do with the car? like just street or street and track time... bimmers arent straight line cars.. there ment to handle.. and the supercharger delivers the power and no lag... also its a bit more reliable and u got less to worry about the small things that can go wrong....

I personaly love the aa kit... its fun and its tamed// IMO... also make sure u re-enforce the subframe,.. and i think you should do other mods before FI... like suspension and brakes... atleast to m3 brakes.. good pads.. fluids, ss lines and remmeber u need atleast a stage II clutch kit from bimmerworld... i think the LTW fw with the m5 clutch.. it should hold that power well.. also the pump, also good suspension components are key.. like stiffer sway bars, a nice lsd if its FI i would go with 2.91 lsd... cuz the 3.23 is really bad on highways... the m52 is a good motor to boost... also a thicker head gasket and arp studs are good
Remember its not just the speed.. u need a way to control the car and slow it down..
This guy has said the first intelligent thing in this post. Many considerations are needed when boosting a car. First, budget is key. You NEED to know how much you can spend, nobody likes going to the fridge to get the last beer that isn't there, because you couldn't afford the 6 pack cause you can barely afford to feed yourself. Second, reliability seems to be a priority for you, which is good. However, things I'd start researching would be how many others have a set up similair to what you want, what have they done to maintain reliability, how much driving has been done with the extra abuse of the forced induction system on the components they have. The picture of the driveshaft all twisted up is to big of an in your face example of what can go wrong. Imagine being on the HW, some asshole like me comes up in my TT z32, and you want to flex your penis. SO you hop on the throttle, than SNAP. Driveshaft twists in 2, rips off half your exhaust, throws parts through the windshield of the guy behind you, digs into the pavement and tosses your ass into 2 other lanes of traffic. Wanna know how I know that can happen lol? Point of story, the amount of money you are thinking of spending, double it. Because there are other key points of modifications that need to be done to ensure proper driveability and reliability. If you can go fast, you want to be able to stop fast. You've got to be able to put the extra power you make, on the ground, or its just wasting rubber. LSD rearend is a must if you want to actually get off the line without busting axles or roasting too much tires. Apparently driveshafts are a problem in your car. What about stiffer subframe bushings to help transfer more power to the ground, suspension for the same reason. I havent even talked about engine internals yet. Unless you want to run 94+ octane and water/methanol injection at all times and the biggest effing intercooler made, the amount of hp you want won't be achieved reliably on stock pistons at the very least. Lower compression pistons give a better tuning bubble, and allow you to run pump gas you can afford. I can go on and on and on about this shit. I've built several boosted hondas (go ahead, haha laugh.) I work on alot of supercharged go fast boats and my most current project I just sold was a 300zx twin turbo I built. I will use that as an example. I aswell wanted about 400+ hp at the wheels. The turbo charger and fuel injector kit was 4 grand, capable of supporting 550 RWHP. Thats another nice thing about turbos, want more power, turn up the boost controller. Thats all fine, 4 grand no big deal bam, ups the kit to my door. Than, upgraded clutch, flywheel, boost controller, ecu and tuning, suspension, bushings, driveshaft, bigger exhaust, dual intakes, cams. The list goes on, the the final price tag is ten grand. Thats all labour done by myself. ANother thing, if you work full time and require a vehicle, you'll need another one to drive while you do the project, and theres always maintenance to do on that likely aswell. By all means, I dont mean to scare you off a cool project, I've done alot of them but I've learned to be prepaired, and not to be afraid to dig deep in the pockets if your savings permits. Anyways, to sum up this way too long reply, chances are you will spend the same amount of money trying to make your car fast, as you would buying one thats already fast. You can buy a 300zx TT left hand drive canadian car in good shape for 11 grand, spend a grand and have about 350 rwhp. I promise theres not alot on the road that can touch those nissans, they are geared excellent and are wicked fast. Also, one last side note, Naturally aspirated is the expensive way to go slow.
Mr_Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #41
sparf328
boostjunky

i just spent a year changing around my dinan s/c setup, 42lbs injectors, 803 hfm, m50 manifold, rms headers, after cooler, full straight pipe from the headers, walboro 255, diff mounts, fan delete with spal replacement, zionsville competition cooling kit, tms oil cooler, blah blah blah, i forget the size of my pulley atm but I'm running around 11-12 psi,which i thought would be enough for me, don't get me wrong the car pulls,(soon to be water meth kit. and going to 14 psi this summer ) and would pull a shit load more with a 3.64 in the back, but I'm bored already, i want to break loose in third ( not literally but i want something scary fast ) if i could do it over again, i would have saved all the money from my intense parts list, drove the car the way it was, bought something else and run a turbo setup or lsx/t56 which is what I'm doing next in an e36 leaning towards the chevy, because turning the car one with a nice lumpy cam and having that deep exhaust note and growling popcorn popping idle coming out of a lil 3 series would be priceless, and just straight up ****ing awesome

IMO go the turbo route all day **** s/c's and this is coming from a guy that has a blown s52.....
sparf328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #42
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

Nothing beats a hpf kit on a e46 m3 in my opinion! With a turbo you could have a 700hp car and actually get better gas milege when not in boost and then let loose when you need to. With a charger your always boosting so your always draining the gas tank at an accelerated rate.
I think its kind of a shame to put a chev motor in a bmw. I love chevys dont get me wrong i drive one everyday but a its just not right in a bmw. Bmw has won numerous engine of the year awards there and they have a wide selection of motors out there. If you want that gut wrenching power and huge displacement go with a s85. If you want to save some doh and have similar performance there doing some crazy stuff with turbo m50's. The problem is that that car is not built for a 500lb engine, Its way to heavy and the car will handle like *hit. I guess if you want a quarter mile car thats not an issue but thats not a bmw! the axles and subframes cant take that much power without serious reinforcement. if you want that kind of power i would recomend a corvette. Even a base c6 is just retarded itll smoke a brand new m3 like its standing still. I struggled for a long time with the same issue and heres what ive concluded: bmw's are not ment to be 10 second cars. There built to have the best of both worlds (Performance and luxury) and they do a pretty good job of it!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #43
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

Mr Bimmer did i read that right? do you have a twin turbo s50b32?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #44
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

i have owned and built 2 turbo cars, and its just a pile of headaches and personally i like my s/ced e36, its mad reliable plus im currently in the process of rebuilding the whole engine. The only thing i dont like about the e36's are there stupid cooling systems!... but this spring i ordered alot of cooling system components that should help me out!...
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #45
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

New guy here....
Centrifugal supercharging is the way to go. Dead reliable, and easy on stock head. When you get into it, its there. Great for track use and as a daily driver. Always room to upgrade as what has been said.
If you want a 400-450 whp car..that's going to cost you....
A HPF stage 3 is going to suck gas like nuts unless your driving at 2500 rpm all day...
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: