Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
mirek
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveItSideways View Post
If that was my car, id be paying attention to the red bumper rather than upgrading brakes.

that red bumper looks retarded
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
DriveItSideways
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by votexgti View Post
Some people want performance, others just want to look good.

edit:
M3 brakes on an e36 318 is like fitting nike shoes on an elephant.

Last edited by DriveItSideways; 06-11-2010 at 04:24 PM.
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #18
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
edit:
M3 brakes on an e36 318 is like fitting nike shoes on an elephant.
Paint is more important. i never want to be in front of you, ever.

Last edited by 5style; 06-12-2010 at 01:06 AM.
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #19
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirek View Post
that red bumper looks retarded
Because Fil or Tom don't have a million e36 with massive rims and awesome paint WITHOUT front ends because they weren't able to bring their mass to a stop in time and rear ended other cars. Think a lil before you type.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #20
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

The 318 is not a e36, it is a super leggera fiberglass lookalike that weighs 400lbs and can stop on bicycle brakes. There is no reason to upgrade.

It is perfect with candle lights, bicycle wheels and a moped motor. Or wait, maybe its relatively close in weight ( about 400lbs diff) to the m3.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
DriveItSideways
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405Style View Post
Or wait, maybe its relatively close in weight ( about 400lbs diff) to the m3.

Close in weight, not in performance. Why do you need such good stoppers with such poor engine performance? stock 318 brakes do the job easily.

to each there own.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #22
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^if i were to track a 318 i'd probably do M3 brakes in front.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #23
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Could never go wrong with more stopping power. Not to mention the little engine upgrades that he could do now because his car will stop.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #24
someguy
Singhy

I think you can justify it this way: It doesn't matter whether you have an M3 or 318, both can reach really high speeds but one just might take longer. When you're going 200 and you need to stop, it doesn't really matter what engine you have.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #25
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I think you can justify it this way: It doesn't matter whether you have an M3 or 318, both can reach really high speeds but one just might take longer. When you're going 200 and you need to stop, it doesn't really matter what engine you have.
This no longer applies to me, but because I want to actively pursue the track, I want stopping.

As for 318 slow this that and the other, again, i digress, larger rims, more rotational mass, more braking force required.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #26
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Close in weight, not in performance. Why do you need such good stoppers with such poor engine performance? stock 318 brakes do the job easily.

to each there own.
any true builder will do brake and suspension mods first. He's driving a BMW which is a car for handling not light to light blasts.

power is nothing without control
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #27
DriveItSideways
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
any true builder will do brake and suspension mods first. He's driving a BMW which is a car for handling not light to light blasts.

power is nothing without control
point taken, hear me out now.

Would a true "track car" builder put oversized wheels on an already heavy/slow car? and then try to justify that with bigger brakes?

You tell me what a true "Builder" would do.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #28
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:

Would a true "track car" builder put oversized wheels on an already heavy/slow car? and then try to justify that with bigger brakes?

Handling and braking are more important then huge power getting around a track.

Anybody who has ever seen a car with better suspension and brakes has seen this that's watched racing or been at a track.

Drag racing, ya drop in huge hp and hang on, but you still got to set up your suspension to get that power down, brakes don't mean a thing

drifting, Huge power with suspension set up to allow then car to break loose, mostly driver skill, but it's not racing, it's more show

track racing, brakes and supension, getting closer to start your apex and being able to carry more speed through it, and getting outa the corner is what it's about, you carry a car at say 100km through a corner compaired to 70km you don't need the extra power when you come out of the corner. Once your capable of handling a few thousand pounds at full speed that's when you add power, unless you can use it, it's usless.

Best way to be fast on a track. Education and experience!!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #29
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Rich, what mike is trying to say is that it would make more sense for him to get smaller/lighter wheels. Which is better for handling and performance.

Instead the OP is putting on heavy 17'' wheels, with heavy rotors and rotational mass for his poor 318 to turn.

A more sensible solution would have been to get some light 15s or 16s, and upgrade the pads and rotors. Try to reduce the weight a little, and he'd have a better track car than a 318 with 17s and m3 brakes.

Also people have different priories, he prefers to drive around with a red front bumper and have m3 brakes. Where as some would prefer to have a well maintained and clean car before doing upgrades, to each their own. I'm sure he is doing the best he could with what he has.

Me personally wouldn't have dumped money into m3 bumpers, m3 brakes, m3 suspension, m3 vadars, m3 this, m3 that.

Add it all up and your better off buying an m3, hell that rebuilt one sold for $7 i think not to long ago.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:

just saw the over sized wheels thing, yes bigger rims and tires are generally used at the track, bigger the contact patch the better, also the stickier the better too, taction is the key, and at speed, scariest thing ever is when your brakes fade, brake upgrades can help with this, its safer, and faster all at the same time. the less time your slowing your car down, the more time your steering it and putting power down.

I don't think he'd be running the style 5's on the track, but if he did, he's still better off with better brakes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: