Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
Sunny87
2nd Gear Member

Advice on suspension

Hi, I've recently purchased a 328is with 260xxx kms on it. I'm coming from a 240sx and the car seems comfortable.

The reason why i'm making this thread is because I need to replace my P/S rear shock (not blown) and possibly D/S front shock (shocks are sweating). I'm wondering if I should just replace it w/ a used shocks or purchase raceland coils (only reason b/c of the price).

It would be nice to lower my car SLIGHTLY, but I really don't want to deal with a stiff ride. On my previous car it was lowered on Tein SS and I absolutely cannot go back to a really stiff ride.

So! Should I go stock and have a mix match of aged shocks or should i get cheap racelands?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Sunny87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Get a set of Bilstein struts and shocks before you get Racelands.

I'm probably going to start a massive argument saying this, but bilsteins will ride better and out last racelands by a mile.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Sunny87
2nd Gear Member

Ah... The only reason why i'm considering Racelands is b/c of the price. While the bilstein may be better, it may cost me more than I would like to spend. I'm not looking for something track worthy. I don't think i'll ever take a car to the track again.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
damameke
6th Gear Member

Since money is a consideration to you.. go stock and get a low milage used shocks

Upgrading suspension is not cheap and there are various price range and combinations..
go with the one you are comfortable with.. EOD. its your car...
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Sunny87
2nd Gear Member

Update: K I took it to the mechanic and I actually need to replace the F d/s strut and both rear springs. I'm getting quoted for 500$ w/ labour. Now with this in mind, should i still go the OEM route?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Petinko
2nd Gear Member

for 500 get a set of the bilsteins and 200 more will have you on a set of HRs... try it yourself its really not that bad.
Petinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petinko View Post
for 500 get a set of the bilsteins and 200 more will have you on a set of HRs... try it yourself its really not that bad.
2nd that option....so for about $700, you get 4 H$R Sport spring instead of 2 rear springs that will eventually breaks ...
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #8
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Spend the $300 or so on the racelands. There is all this hate towards the damn things, but I have had them on my car for almost a month now and I think they ride amazingly well for $300 coilovers. I'd like to spend a boatload on nice new suspension for my car, but can't justify spending almost half of what the cars worth on just the suspension. The racelands are amazing for the price.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny87 View Post
Ah... The only reason why i'm considering Racelands is b/c of the price. While the bilstein may be better, it may cost me more than I would like to spend. I'm not looking for something track worthy. I don't think i'll ever take a car to the track again.
Check on bimmerforums. Look for CMUZZY's thread. He sells bilsteins at quite a good price. Im not sure about your model but usually u need different springs for the bilsteins. Atleast I did. Also dont forget all the small parts that go along with the shocks/struts like rubber mounts and guide rods. They can rack upto quite a lot by themselves.

Cheers

Die Dämmerung..............when dusk began to fall, when dawn begins to break
Dammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
2nd that option....so for about $700, you get 4 H$R Sport spring instead of 2 rear springs that will eventually breaks ...
Thts a good deal.

Die Dämmerung..............when dusk began to fall, when dawn begins to break
Dammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
The problem with all these raceland people is they always say the same thing:

"They're awesome! Amazing! I've had them on my car for almost a month!!! Really good quality!!"

Don't praise them just because you own them. If in a year or two, people come back and say ya, they've been fine, then I'll shut my trap. Right now they just seem experimental.

They probably won't last. My buddy has had his for a couple months and they're already being replaced.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
Petinko
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Right now they just seem experimental.

They probably won't last. My buddy has had his for a couple months and they're already being replaced.
Agreed! As with anything in life, you get what you pay for. save you're money up for a tried and true bilstein sport suspension. I've had them on every BMW I've owned and I wouldn't upgrade to anything less!

However If you want I've got two new rear Bilstein HD that I dont need .... interest?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
dbworld4k
Addict

Whoever is charging you $700 for a set of H&R Springs is bending you over without lube while you smile singing the national anthem during said pounding. Seriously.

A set of H&R lowering springs shouldn't set you back more than 300-400 bucks LOCALLY. Never mind lower US pricing

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
Petinko
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Whoever is charging you $700 for a set of H&R Springs is bending you over without lube while you smile singing the national anthem during said pounding. Seriously.

A set of H&R lowering springs shouldn't set you back more than 300-400 bucks LOCALLY. Never mind lower US pricing
500 for bilsteins and 200 for HRs... 700 total
Old 06-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Get a set of Bilstein struts and shocks before you get Racelands.

I'm probably going to start a massive argument saying this, but bilsteins will ride better and out last racelands by a mile.
Nah, there's no argument lol. The truth is that these coilovers suck on the track, for spirted driving, or anything most BMW drivers want to do. As a DD from point A to point B replacement for blown or damaged suspension components on a high mileage car that you won't ever see a retun on if you sell it (If you plan on selling it), it's the way to go!

Op, at the end of the day, you're the only one that knows where your pocket is willing to go. At this point, the mechanic is asking $500 to fix your suspension and you seem to require a lower price (I'm only guessing here so forgive me if i'm wrong). Your options will come down to either low mileage stock struts or $200 coilovers that have about 2 years or more warranty which they will replace if it's problematic.

I say if you know you're only driving from point A to point B and you wont be bombing any tracks or attempting to go sideways anytime soon, throw the damn racelands on and forget what everyone else has say.

Yes we can all argue that the Racelands won't be as high quality, or withstand as much beating as a Koni, Bilstein, Tein, H&R or Gc. But if a $200 setup can get me through two years or even a year and tie me over until i can afford a better setup i'd go for it.

I'll acknowledge that some if not most of the members will genuinely try to steer you in the right direction by assisting you on making a decision you will not regret. Others are just purists talking out of their asses because they believe a $200.00 suspension on a BMW, the holy grail of cars is blasphemous. Keep that in mind when deciphering information posted that will be influencing your decision.

Again, do what you feel is good for you and your overall situation.

Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.

Last edited by JunzieB; 06-14-2010 at 10:17 PM.
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: