Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Fuel Relay

Alright, under the back seat the fuel system thing. My dad took a clamp off one of the hoses thinking he would be able to move the hose out from there not thinking it's attached to other things. Well it turns out it's the monster hose that feeds the engine (one running to the fuel filter and then engine). Well I went to put a worm gear clamp on it (Clamp that you need a screw driver for) but it continues to leak even afterwards. There's nothing wrong with the house and I inspected it and nothing is cut or even scraped on the hose but for some reason it wants to still burn fuel out =\ This is the only problem I have with the car now =\ After this I can go for a cruise for the first time... Anyone have any ideas? I dont want to tighten the clamp to much because it looks like it might cut through the hose.. think I should do it anyways?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
you might have the clamp ontop of the flare. try sliding it on further. Or there might be corrosion or contaminant on the flare or in the end of the hose.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I figured it out and I don't want to try to fix it because I have no idea how I'm going to fish a new hose on top of the tank without removing it. There's a hole somewhere on the line that runs into a weird goofy thing that's above the fuel filter near the tire. It runs into that and clamps onto the fuel relay. So this is my last fix on the car and then it can be driven.. Wondering if I should use a coat hanger or something to fish the fuel line up to the fuel relay and buy like 10' of fuel hose lol. I don't know but it'll get this someday =\
Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Question : Is there 2 feeder lines that run into the engine or just the big 3/8" hose that runs from the fuel relay into this other fuel filter thing (I think? maybe a regulator?) and then into the other fuel filter just below it. I replacing the line that runs into the module (whatever it is) but I'm having a problem because the clamps are getting stuck lol.. but it will be done but I'm wondering if there is another feeder line that runs somewhere else into the engine block.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

The line runs into #9 after taking a good hard look into it. So I'm replacing fuel hose #20 with high grade fuel injection line (Cost me 31$ for 8' of line).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...81&hg=16&fg=15

So from judging by that, it's only 1 main feed line into the engine bay but I just want to make sure I don't have to replace another line that runs parallel with the one I'm replacing now.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
supernaught
6th Gear Member

well you'll have a return line to the tank, if you're replacing the feed hardline, this one runs parallel from the bay.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Yea. I'm hoping it's not the feeder line also. Although if it is, I might just get the cheaper fuel hose or maybe use brake line instead and just run it over the tank. Some reason, the fuel line with the taped clamps is getting stuck somewhere on top of the tank so I'm hoping I can maybe use some weight and move the tank down just a little and pull the rest out. After this fix is over with, it will have new fuel lines and rear brake line. This car is pretty much all new except the engine and shell and most of the interior everything has been replaced lol.

EDIT : Now that you mention the return line, when you start the car it takes a couple moments and then you can see a pinhole leak on top of the tank juts out of reach somewhere. I shake my head at this car.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
supernaught
6th Gear Member

your need to drop the tank far outweighs your wants to not drop it. I'm sure you could struggle with the hose and maybe get something to work, but its better for you to drop the exhaust and DS, lower the tank and see what you're really up against. Getting Fuel and brake lines done correctly is pretty important. Just make sure you get some new gaskets and seals for reassembly. Before taking the tank out, look inside for rust, and get a replacement if its bad. With the tank out you should inspect the outside for rust, if theres only surface on it, clean it up and treat it, you don't want to be doing the whole job again in a few months.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaught View Post
your need to drop the tank far outweighs your wants to not drop it. I'm sure you could struggle with the hose and maybe get something to work, but its better for you to drop the exhaust and DS, lower the tank and see what you're really up against. Getting Fuel and brake lines done correctly is pretty important. Just make sure you get some new gaskets and seals for reassembly. Before taking the tank out, look inside for rust, and get a replacement if its bad. With the tank out you should inspect the outside for rust, if theres only surface on it, clean it up and treat it, you don't want to be doing the whole job again in a few months.
Yea I know =\ But pretty much everything has to drop to get the tank out. Which is just too much $$ for replacing a hose (If bushing break ect..). I can get it done, just going to drill the rusted bolt out and drop the tank a inch or so with the little clearance it has from everything and then buy a bolt to put it back together. The tank doesn't leak, just one of the 2 lines. So I'm replacing the main one and if need be, I'll replace the return also. It's only a tight fit, nothing else. I'm just going to rockguard the crap out of the tank once I'm finished.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
supernaught
6th Gear Member

keep in mind you dont have to drop the rear subframe or diff to drop the tank. Just the exhaust, shields and DS.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Any idea how to take the bolt off that holds the tank in place? I really don't want to drill it out. But I hit it with the impact gun with a 12mm and it just won't budge, ended up striping the bolt a little bit. So I hit it with a air chisel to knock some of the rust off along with hopes that it might break the rust seal it made.. who knows tho.. thinking I'll spray some of the wrench grease in hopes that it can penetrate it some.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I replaced the main feed line running into the fuel pump that's above the fuel filter. I have no idea what one is the return line. The Bently manual doesn't pinpoint the return line nor the main line.

Edit: I did some Paint work lol.. just trying to see if this helps a little more.

Last edited by HavocSteve; 06-05-2010 at 07:05 PM.
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Alright, from this fuel relay it seems like I highlighted the correct one. Just looking for some conformation before I ripe the crap out of it first thing tomorrow.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: