Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
taxi615
3rd Gear Member

what type of oils???

this weekend I'll be flushing motor oil, trans oil and dif oil what do you guy's recommend me using? I'll be tracking the car here and there but mostly road use but I do drive it a bit hard sometimes.

E36 M3 3.2L
5 speed gear box
323 LSD dif

thanks
taxi615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Royal Purple. The best lube you can get. It's expensive as shit but works hella good. I'll be using this crap shortly when I finally get my car on the damn road.

Why Use Royal Purple?

Royal Purple formulates its products to maximize performance in real world applications. Numerous independent parties report performance gains by using Royal Purple lubricants.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
taxi615
3rd Gear Member

sounds good but do you have the grades that you used.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
fitter527
hates chrome

i've been running RP Synchromax in the tranny and RP Max Gear 75w-90 in the diff..pretty pricey stuff but worth it.
i'm not sure about the RP engine oil,i thinking i might try it on my next oil change.
i ordered mine from http://www.precisiontuning.ca/
about $20 a bottle
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
Royal Purple. The best lube you can get. It's expensive as shit but works hella good. I'll be using this crap shortly when I finally get my car on the damn road.

Why Use Royal Purple?

Royal Purple formulates its products to maximize performance in real world applications. Numerous independent parties report performance gains by using Royal Purple lubricants.
I have the exact opposite experience using RP stuff.

My tranny doesn't like it, my engine doesn't like it, and neither did my friends engine (it actually started to foam).

RP is just over hyped, expensive crap. They just have good marketing people.

As far as engine oils go, I swear by Lubro/Liqui Molly (contact Bimmersport)... I just got my oil report back from Blackstone labs 2 weeks ago... everything is looking great with the engine wear and oil quality.

And for gear oils, either Redline or Motul fluids.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 06-04-2010 at 01:10 PM.
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
taxi615
3rd Gear Member

Thanks keep it coming
rp gear oil is like 30$ a bottle and i need two
15$ a bottle for engine oil and I need 7. Lol

I will check for motul
Old 06-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
I have the exact opposite experience using RP stuff.

My tranny doesn't like it, my engine doesn't like it, and neither did my friends engine (it actually started to foam).

RP is just over hyped, expensive crap. They just have good marketing people.

As far as engine oils go, I swear by Lubro/Liqui Molly (contact Bimmersport)... I just got my oil report back from Blackstone labs 2 weeks ago... everything is looking great with the engine wear and oil quality.

And for gear oils, either Redline or Motul fluids.
Well it all depends. Mostly you use it with new engines that haven't had a million other oils mixed together. I know my dad did a engine flush and everything else and put new RP oils in and it works wonderful, even when it shifts auto is feels nicer. I'm going to be doing what he did with the car once I get things going good =\
Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

My friends motor that foamed only saw Mobil 1 synthetic before trying RP... after the foaming he drained the RP, went back to Mobil 1 and never had an issue since.

My tranny on the other hand makes noises @ low speed ever since I put RP in (previously was OEM oil).

Oil is a touchy subject, but the for cost of RP engine oil you're just not getting your moneys worth, especially when people think you need to dump fully synthetic oil @ 5k just because it makes them "feel better".

And like I've said in another thread on here, the only way to tell how good your oil is with your intervals and setup is to get it analyzed.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

That's true. I've just had good hear say from my father and his friend who races dragsters and he uses RP. Can't win them all, but it's like everything else. Sometimes it works perfect and other times it just goes horribly wrong. Obviously, your and his car hated the RP brand and liked the OEM or Mobil1 stuff. I would suggest Mobil1 also as I had it in my Bonneville and didn't change the oil for 1.5yrs (Yes, very bad, but I was junking the car anyways). Wanted to just ruin the car but the engine still ran strong and sold the car to my dads friend for 500$ and he did some stuff and got 3grand for the car rofl..
Old 06-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
taxi615
3rd Gear Member

guy's thanks very much for all your personal experiences I will try le RP stuff and see how it works with me.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
MarkD
Banned

Amsoil and Mobil 1 are both good oils. You can't go wrong with either of those. I'm currently using Amsoil in the M5's.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
taxi615
3rd Gear Member

good and I was woundering about the 15w40 recommendations in the book, can I put something else in the car?

never drive it winter time and most of the time in qc it abour 15-30 degres at the most during summer. But I do drive the car at times and track it from time to time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: