Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
dfisla
1st Gear Newbie

2007 550i - rough idle / engine shake

Just picked this car 1 week ago and I am already feeling like it's breaking my heart. :-/

2007 550i with 47K on it, rough idle (or engine shake sideways), much worse when A/C is on. The A/C increases the idle from 500 to 700 rpm, which is expected, but the shake just sucks! I must say I am shocked that a car with such a low mileage would do this. I don't expect a V8 to be perfectly balanced but this is much more than I would expect.

The strange thing is, when I idle without A/C and bring it to about 700 rpm it's not as bad.

I am going to raise this with the dealer but any feedback would be *much* appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel.
dfisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfisla View Post
Just picked this car 1 week ago and I am already feeling like it's breaking my heart. :-/

2007 550i with 47K on it, rough idle (or engine shake sideways), much worse when A/C is on. The A/C increases the idle from 500 to 700 rpm, which is expected, but the shake just sucks! I must say I am shocked that a car with such a low mileage would do this. I don't expect a V8 to be perfectly balanced but this is much more than I would expect.

The strange thing is, when I idle without A/C and bring it to about 700 rpm it's not as bad.

I am going to raise this with the dealer but any feedback would be *much* appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel.
Didn't you notice this before you bought? Anyway it should still have a BMW warranty on it so just take it in to a BMW dealer.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
dfisla
1st Gear Newbie

Yes, the car is still under BMW warranty.

For some reason, of all the checks I did, I missed this one. The car is very smooth when in drive and love the performance, but never noticed the shake when in idle the 2 times I did the test drive. This is my first BMW so wasn't exectly sure what to expect. I expect the dealer to minimize this and try convince me this expected...we'll see.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Take it to the dealer.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Prolly a misfire in one of the cylinders... plug or coil pack.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfisla View Post
Yes, the car is still under BMW warranty.

For some reason, of all the checks I did, I missed this one. The car is very smooth when in drive and love the performance, but never noticed the shake when in idle the 2 times I did the test drive. This is my first BMW so wasn't exectly sure what to expect. I expect the dealer to minimize this and try convince me this expected...we'll see.
If you go to the BMW dealership, I doubt they will give you a headache if it's a real problem. I've found the the BMW dealership to be very good with warranty coverage. Did you buy from a BMW dealership or a used car "dealer" ? A used car dealer probably won't care about helping you out much.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

I had some engine shaking a few years back. Turned out that the crankshaft pulley was warped. Changed that and smooth sailing.

2007 550i
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
dfisla
1st Gear Newbie

Just wanted to give an update.

Took it to dealer, don't have the exact service record in front of me, but it went something like this:

cleaned injectors+chamber,
compression test results were within the 2-5% range,
detected that cylinder 7 was out of range, was adjusted (should I be concerned?)
increased idle to maximum allowable range, and
adjusted valvetronic system.

Overall, I am very happy with the car, but the rough idle and some knocking noise remains.

The dealer provided me with a loaner car which was a 2010 335i with 370 KM on it, needless to say the engine sounded exactly like the engine on my 550i. Then, I found few video clips on the internet with engine recordings for 550i, and M5 engines, and they all sound more or less alike when idle. Since this is my first BMW, I have no choice but to conclude this is normal.

The only other minor thing is when the A/C is on and I am trying to park the car, it feels like I am trying to hold back the car from jumping forward. I understand the A/C makes the engine rev up more, but is little bit more than I am used to.

Cheers.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

What grade gas are you using?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
dfisla
1st Gear Newbie

94 octane only :-)
Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
PaulG
1st Gear Newbie

Have you tried a vacuum test? Rough idle can be due to a vacuum leak (either intake or a hose/valve in the PCV/VCV system). M70s had issues with the water temperature sensors. They had 3 (1 for each bank of cylinders + 1 for the gauge). Bad sensors resulted in the engine running rich even at normal operating temperature and made the idle rough (smelly too).
Also check the fuel pressure regulators (if your fuel pump and filter are ok).
Good luck and I hope you get it fixed!
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
damameke
6th Gear Member

"Overall, I am very happy with the car, but the rough idle and some knocking noise remains"

You probably paid a good buck for this car .. so why would you be content with the rough idle/knocking noise and A/C on (hold back) issues?

1. Suggest that you go back to the dealer and test drive a same car in their lot to differentiate the idle and knock..

2. Bring the car to another dealer.

3. Still not happy.. pay to get a 3rd opinion from one of the sponsors here(RMP, Bimmersport etc etc)

4. You cover all bases, still not happy.. call OMPVIC
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Its possible one of your catalytic converters is clogged. I'd have them check that too next time you take it in for service. That would be my next guess...

T.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #14
porksoda
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
"Overall, I am very happy with the car, but the rough idle and some knocking noise remains"

You probably paid a good buck for this car .. so why would you be content with the rough idle/knocking noise and A/C on (hold back) issues?

1. Suggest that you go back to the dealer and test drive a same car in their lot to differentiate the idle and knock..

2. Bring the car to another dealer.

3. Still not happy.. pay to get a 3rd opinion from one of the sponsors here(RMP, Bimmersport etc etc)

4. You cover all bases, still not happy.. call OMPVIC
Very good points i agree.... for sure take it to rmp to get a second opinion.
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

IT's UNDER WARRANTY TAKE IT TO ANOTHER DEALER !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: