Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Ontario
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
shugalou
2nd Gear Member

Lakeside motors - bad experience

I was recommended to check this place out from a friend. I have only gone to indy shops to have work done on my cars when I cannot do it myself. So I am not a suit looking for exceptional customer service like a BMW dealership.

I made my appointment for 11:45 today telling them over the phone that the car needs to be scanned and have a couple of issues to be looked at (so I can start researching how to fix them). I am told no prob "come on by"

I show up and stand around at the front desk for easily 5 minutes until someone finally helps me. I tell them I have an appointment, and I'm on my lunch break. I am told "you must have spoke to Mike" a few minutes pass and Mike comes out. I am trying to tell him the things needed to be looked at and he seems inconvienenced and cuts me off.

"what's your number?"

"I can't leave the car I made an appointment to have car looked at"

"yeah well appointments are for you to drop your car off"???

"Well I can't leave it, I just need a scan and a couple of things checked out"

"How much time you have?"

"An hour"

"Uhhh let me see if I can move some things around"

He leaves and I'm waiting for easily 10 minutes with no idea of what is going on. At this point I decide not to give them my business and I walk out. If a shop doesn't give a hell about it's customers how can I trust them to service my car.

1:45 minutes of my time wasted but at least I can take one shop off my list.

Anyone have any shops that they recommend in the East Side?
shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shugalou View Post
I was recommended to check this place out from a friend. I have only gone to indy shops to have work done on my cars when I cannot do it myself. So I am not a suit looking for exceptional customer service like a BMW dealership.

I made my appointment for 11:45 today telling them over the phone that the car needs to be scanned and have a couple of issues to be looked at (so I can start researching how to fix them). I am told no prob "come on by"

I show up and stand around at the front desk for easily 5 minutes until someone finally helps me. I tell them I have an appointment, and I'm on my lunch break. I am told "you must have spoke to Mike" a few minutes pass and Mike comes out. I am trying to tell him the things needed to be looked at and he seems inconvienenced and cuts me off.

"what's your number?"

"I can't leave the car I made an appointment to have car looked at"

"yeah well appointments are for you to drop your car off"???

"Well I can't leave it, I just need a scan and a couple of things checked out"

"How much time you have?"

"An hour"

"Uhhh let me see if I can move some things around"

He leaves and I'm waiting for easily 10 minutes with no idea of what is going on. At this point I decide not to give them my business and I walk out. If a shop doesn't give a hell about it's customers how can I trust them to service my car.

1:45 minutes of my time wasted but at least I can take one shop off my list.

Anyone have any shops that they recommend in the East Side?
Mike is not the most customer service oriented person and often has others do his job running the shop. I know him well and always felt he rushed me off the phone. I don't bother with them anymore and he's lost good tech's which I know personally because of his attitude. Too bad for him because it is hurting his bottom line...$$$$

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
shugalou
2nd Gear Member

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has had a bad experience.

I left happy thinking "F you guys, I'll figure this out and fix it on my own and put that money back into my pocket"
Old 05-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

You guys are crazy knocking Lakeside motors, you think Mike has time to listen TO YOU TELL HIM WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR CAR! In that case go fix your own car and be done with, otherwise Mike at lakeside is one of the nicest, friendliest, most accommodating, guys around, and been around 20+years servicing BMW, Most of lakesides clientele Just dump their car and wait for the car to be completed, pay your bill and leave. For you OP, there are some wonderful Indy shops and dealers in the West end that will love your Business, I am sure they will sit and play with the scanner on you BMW all day!
There are lots of BMW Techs’ out there, people come and go all day long that isn’t no sweat off his back. Spend half a day with Mike, and listen how many BMW Dealers and Indy’s call because they have there wrench up there ass.
I don’t get some people, just became a member and can’t wait to go online and bad talk someone who’s been in the trade 20+yrs.

Parm

Last edited by parm; 05-26-2010 at 03:02 PM.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
shugalou
2nd Gear Member

Parm sorry to strike a nerve but this is my experience and from what I witnessed I would have to say you are far off from your description.

My Indy for my Honda (Igarage) is far better than Lakeside, and get this he'll actually take his time to listen to what you want done...imagine that. I would hope than any shop/mechanic that is willing to take my money would take the time to address my concerns.

I'm not bashing Mike or any other Mechanic working for Lakeside what I am saying is the experience I had with them as a whole and who I delt with while I was there.

I have heard good things about them but I haven't experienced it myself and I'm not alone with this as the previous poster has stated his experiences also...This is simply my experience and after wasting 1:45 minutes of my time I felt that others might benefit from my feedback.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
You guys are crazy knocking Lakeside motors, you think Mike has time to listen TO YOU TELL HIM WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR CAR! In that case go fix your own car and be done with, otherwise Mike at lakeside is one of the nicest, friendliest, most accommodating, guys around, and been around 20+years servicing BMW, Most of lakesides clientele Just dump their car and wait for the car to be completed, pay your bill and leave. For you OP, there are some wonderful Indy shops and dealers in the West end that will love your Business, I am sure they will sit and play with the scanner on you BMW all day!
There are lots of BMW Techsí out there, people come and go all day long that isnít no sweat off his back. Spend half a day with Mike, and listen how many BMW Dealers and Indyís call because they have there wrench up there ass.
I donít get some people, just became a member and canít wait to go online and bad talk someone whoís been in the trade 20+yrs.

Parm
+1 for lakeside, I am a regular customer. I tried other shops on the West end because of strong comments from this board. Guess what they installed inferior oem parts which broke in less than 2,000km. I won't be going out west and I won't be bashing them online.

I was a DIY before but now my priorities shifted. I trust lakeside for the service as they fix what is required and if there are defects in parts, they take care of it, no BS.

May be your expectation are off and your personality is conflicting with Mike so I guess it is best you try another shop

On the east end there is AutoTrend.
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
bimmerE36
1st Gear Newbie

I have heard many many good things about Lakeside motors. My buddy takes his car there all the time and referred me to them. I havent had a need to go there yet but i know when I do need to, I will be in fact bringing my car there.
bimmerE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
shugalou
2nd Gear Member

I'm glad to hear there is some positive feedback, I didn't want this to turn into a bashing thread or this shop vs that shop. Just wanted to post my experiences and see what you guys had to say. Maybe I came on a bad day for them.

Yeah I'm new to the board I didn't know I had to have a certain post count before I could post something of benefit to other members. If I would have read this post from someone else I wouldn't have counted on them to hold an appointment for me and I would have been looking for someone that could or at the very least stress the importance of having the car in and out in a timely manner. This is a knowledge sharing forum and apparently these guys are capable of doing good work as others have posted. I guess you are expected to leave your car with them and that wasn't communicated through the phone so now peeps reading this will know the expectations.

I do appreciate the other shop recommendation and i will check them out
Old 05-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
No offense, but that would be probably the worst image you can give. Who wants to take their car somewhere, say somethings wrong and just give the keys and CC #? We have clients like that too, but we also have clients like the OP. All he wants is to feel secure about the car being there, so take 5min out of your time...considering later on he will build that trust. The only ones who just do that, are people with a load of cash...how do I know, I'm a service advisor.

Listening to a customer when they are explaining whats wrong whats wrong with the car is the most crucial part because how do you fix something when you dont even know what the problem is? Everyone is tired, stressed with the heat and also just being a tech (I was one for 4years) and most of the time you have no patience as you want to get it all done, but that doesnt mean its the right way of handling it all.

Im not ripping anyone, just putting my 2cents...I am sure Mike and the techs are very knowledgable as well as good people.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

(The only ones who just do that, are people with a load of cash...)

^You seem to only like to serve people with loads of cash so what are you ranting about?

Last edited by parm; 05-27-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
Michel
6th Gear Member

^I beg to differ; I'm a student (hence poor) and I service there. I'm also the same as the OP where I sit there telling Jon/Charlie what I want.

My dad is the opposite, he just drops the car off and picks it up (but also has no cash lol)

I guess bimmersport is ftw!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

Reminds me of chuck hehe. Remember him? The personality didnt bother me because he fixed my car right all the time.

OP you're a tad sensitive. Get pass the personality if you know you're dealing with a good mech.
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
There are lots of BMW Techsí out there, people come and go all day long that isnít no sweat off his back. Spend half a day with Mike, and listen how many BMW Dealers and Indyís call because they have there wrench up there ass.
I donít get some people, just became a member and canít wait to go online and bad talk someone whoís been in the trade 20+yrs.

Parm
Mike orginally worked at Beach Auto, and most of you weren't even born back then.

Shugalu : maybe you should buy a scanner with the money you are saving by trying to do the work yourself.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
jeremy
6th Gear Member

Mike is a little scatter brained...I dealt with Steve as much as possible. I still give Lakeside a thumbs up.
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

I got a scanner criuse on by I will scan it for you! then decide what you want to do!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: