Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
juraja
1st Gear Newbie

Service Requirements

Hi guys,

Just so you know, I do not know that much about cars and I am new to BMW so that is why I turned to you guys for help.

I bought a used 2006 330I and it had 85k. I have driven it for about 5K and the service light keeps coming on. I looked at the manual and it indicates the a service is due. Furthermore, i went through all 8 components digitally (brake fluid, spark plugs etc). From what I see, only the spark plugs and microfilter need to be changed. As for everything else, my car displays the remaining driving distance and the date of the next scheduled service. For all other components, from the dates under the symbol I still have time to service it (no km are displayed, just dates). Should I be worried that there are no km that are displayed, just the dates? Also, the microfilter is out of date supposedly and the spark plugs say 70k. Is this an urgent service?

Thanks guys for the help!
juraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Some things like brake fluid and coolant have no kms factor, they need to be replaced every 2 years or every 4 years. Others, like oil, brakes, spark plugs, should display a date and kms. Your spark plugs say 70K because you get to drive 70,000 MORE KMS before you have to replace them. Spark plugs on your car are recommended roughly every 160,000 kms, although it wouldn't hurt to change them at say 100,000 kms. Whatever service item is showing in red needs to be performed now.
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
juraja
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for response!

All of the items are shown in red even though the date is for 2011 or simillar. When I get home I will check exactly what has dates and kms but im pretty sure when I looked in the manual, there was nothing odd about any of the items (missing km etc.) except that they are all in red?! Is this normal?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

I mean RED red. Not the standard orange hue that all BMW gauges and displays are.
Every time you start your car, it flashes a service display for 5 seconds. That tells you how many KMs you can drive to your next oil change, or if you need a service of any kind, it will display service in bright red. If you still can't figure it out drive to any BMW dealership and bring your key to a service advisor, the key will tell him what your car needs.
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
damameke
6th Gear Member

If it is displaying RED.. you are overdue for a service.

Like what mstearmsy had stated,, key will prvide all the serice info on your car.

Mstearmsy: regarding spark plug. you are sure its 160, 000 km before changing them out,doesnt inpsecton II stated change of spark plugs too?
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
juraja
1st Gear Newbie

hey guys thanks for the info, one more question though!

I understand that a service is due because the red symbol turns on. But is there a way to figure out what needs to be changes (without going to a dealership)?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juraja View Post
hey guys thanks for the info, one more question though!

I understand that a service is due because the red symbol turns on. But is there a way to figure out what needs to be changes (without going to a dealership)?
Bought at 85km. you put in 5000 km...its 90,000 km..you are due for an Inspection 2..

check the Inspection 1 and 2 link somewhere in this forum...it detailed what needs to be done...and go to RMP(sponsor here) or other sponsors here to get that done...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor

We can tell you what services are needed, and perform them. Then we reset the computer, just like the dealer!

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: