Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #31
Red_Rocket
2nd Gear Member

They both measure how much are goes into your engine. You only need one. The MAF is better thats why people want to convert to a MAF set-up.
Red_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #32
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Oh ok, thanks for clarification! I actually like the sound of my AFM though. Sounds mean.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #33
kamotors
1st Gear Newbie

I love my Miller MAF, makes the intake note so loud and deep. If you think the AFM sounds mean with an open element filter then you'll love the MAF.

heres a quick vid I made the day I install the miller MAF, I had an exhaust leak so excuse the ticking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDelvPsp-mI

89 325i+4.27diff.=destroyed tires
my ebay for sale- carbon fiber CAI kits.
kamotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #34
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamotors View Post
I love my Miller MAF, makes the intake note so loud and deep. If you think the AFM sounds mean with an open element filter then you'll love the MAF.

heres a quick vid I made the day I install the miller MAF, I had an exhaust leak so excuse the ticking.
Do you know where you are!?!?

Get back to R3V... lol kidddinggg.

By far the best looking car on Bottlecaps.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #35
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:

So you signed up just to try and sell us the miller MAF....

I haven't experienced or tried out the Miller MAF product so I'm not going to pass judgement on it. What I do know is that you told me that installing an M30 AFM on my car would make lean out and run horrible, even with 19lb injectors, and that I would get check engine lights all the time and that the bottom end would bog.

You also told me not to buy MarkD's chip because it's too expensive and that the improvement was so slight that you couldn't notice it after day 1.

You then proceeded to tell me to buy the Miller MAF set-up because of how good it is.

Well I went ahead and installed the AFM and 19lb injectors anyways along with a wideband o2 sensor with the intentions of getting a MarkD chip. My car has been running sound for several months, never leaning out, not giving me a check engine light, not bogging, and it revs up slightly better on the top end now.

After having spoken with Mark himself and seeing how his software has transformed other cars, such as my fathers E39 M5, I can say without hesitation that MarkD's product is legit and worth the money.

As I said before I'm not saying that the Miller MAF is a bad product... it might be great..... but I'm definitely not going to take your word for it.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #36
kamotors
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
So you signed up just to try and sell us the miller MAF....

I haven't experienced or tried out the Miller MAF product so I'm not going to pass judgement on it. What I do know is that you told me that installing an M30 AFM on my car would make lean out and run horrible, even with 19lb injectors, and that I would get check engine lights all the time and that the bottom end would bog.

You also told me not to buy MarkD's chip because it's too expensive and that the improvement was so slight that you couldn't notice it after day 1.

You then proceeded to tell me to buy the Miller MAF set-up because of how good it is.

Well I went ahead and installed the AFM and 19lb injectors anyways along with a wideband o2 sensor with the intentions of getting a MarkD chip. My car has been running sound for several months, never leaning out, not giving me a check engine light, not bogging, and it revs up slightly better on the top end now.

After having spoken with Mark himself and seeing how his software has transformed other cars, such as my fathers E39 M5, I can say without hesitation that MarkD's product is legit and worth the money.

As I said before I'm not saying that the Miller MAF is a bad product... it might be great..... but I'm definitely not going to take your word for it.
I have no connection with Miller, I was just on google and came across this thread so I thought I would give my 2cents.

I never told anybody not to buy something. I loved my Mark D chips and would of kept them but I decided to get rid of my AFM and am happy that I did. My ECU was constantly detuning my car with the M30 AFM and 19lb'ers. I went through 2 Mark D chips trying to find a chip that worked well for my application. I then moved on to different options to try to gain more bottom end power. In MY experience the M30 AFM is garbage because I had to always make a sacrifice to gain something.

EDIT: I just went back and read the PM I sent you and I NEVER told you NOT to buy the Mark D chip, I never even told you to buy the Miller MAF, I simply shared my experience with each product because I have actually tried them...

Last edited by kamotors; 05-21-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #37
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

1. Gleb
2. Rudy
3. Bullet Ride (only if I can pay an "upgrade fee" to get it since I'm already paying to get one of your chips next week )
4. Devon (im down if price is within reason)
5. Graeme, but I'm in the same boat as Bullet Ride We'll talk when I come over tomorrow
Old 05-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #38
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
EDIT: I just went back and read the PM I sent you and I NEVER told you NOT to buy the Mark D chip, I never even told you to buy the Miller MAF, I simply shared my experience with each product because I have actually tried them...
You're right you never blatantly told me to buy or not buy anything. You just told me that an M30 AFM and 19lb injectors don't work, that Mark's chip was too expensive, and that for a little more money I could get a MAF set-up instead. I'm sure you can see how I though you were implying to buy one product over the other.

I'm sorry for putting words in your mouth.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #39
kamotors
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
You're right you never blatantly told me to buy or not buy anything. You just told me that an M30 AFM and 19lb injectors don't work, that Mark's chip was too expensive, and that for a little more money I could get a MAF set-up instead. I'm sure you can see how I though you were implying to buy one product over the other.

I'm sorry for putting words in your mouth.
You asked for my opinion and I gave it to you. The M30 AFM ran poorly in MY car after my ECU adjusted to it. I could reset my ECU and instantly gain power back. It not some myth that the maf conversion w/ maf chip is only $74 more than a performance chip.

On a different note I would buy a Mark D MAF conversion if it was priced competitively, Mark puts a lot of work into his chips and backs up his claims.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #40
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

1. Gleb
2. Rudy
3. Bullet Ride (only if I can pay an "upgrade fee" to get it since I'm already paying to get one of your chips next week )
4. Devon (im down if price is within reason)
5. Graeme, but I'm in the same boat as Bullet Ride We'll talk when I come over tomorrow[/quote]
6. John

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #41
Gleb
E30 ..?

So, who can lend his car to Mark?
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #42
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

#1 this is my thread dammit! lol

#2 the Miller Maf kit works as intended/described.

#3 I don't mind the hijack, it's what's good for the e30 community that counts!

One Note about the chip/MAF. After disconnecting the battery, it seems to take little while to learn proper idle speed. I notice that it seems to idle high 1000 - 1200 for a day (2 - 4 starts) then it eventually begins to slow down.

Not 100% sure if this is the MAF setup or possibly something else. In any case it's not a big deal, happy with the kit.

Later Guys!

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #43
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
One Note about the chip/MAF. After disconnecting the battery, it seems to take little while to learn proper idle speed. I notice that it seems to idle high 1000 - 1200 for a day (2 - 4 starts) then it eventually begins to slow down.

Not 100% sure if this is the MAF setup or possibly something else. In any case it's not a big deal, happy with the kit.

Later Guys!
Whats funny is, my car does the exact same. Takes it forever to learn how to idle after battery/DME has been reset. I thought only my car had that problem...

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #44
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Okay did a nice long drive to Brantford on the back highways. Averaged about 6.4L/100. Average speed was probably 90.

I could get that lower, I had some fun and wasted a bit of gas a few times here and there.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #45
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
Okay did a nice long drive to Brantford on the back highways. Averaged about 6.4L/100. Average speed was probably 90.

I could get that lower, I had some fun and wasted a bit of gas a few times here and there.
That's really good (~37MPG)
I need to try doing that once, I'm always ripping in my car and average around 10L/100km (~24MPG), it'd be nice to see what I can get if I drive conservatively, just that I don't really get the opportunity since I'm usually either sitting in traffic, or flying by idiots who are parked in the left lane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: