Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #661
davericher20
black and blue
 
davericher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 storey 3 bedroom 1 car garage
Posts: 3,592
Ya it gets crazy expensive. But enough seat time and the right people will want you to instruct in exchange for track time, so there's an expense saved. I'm still tryin to work on my wife, I've got her up to me being allowed 4 track days next year
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #662
doogee
Stance is Gay.
 
doogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ancaster
Posts: 3,438
Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
Ya it gets crazy expensive. But enough seat time and the right people will want you to instruct in exchange for track time, so there's an expense saved. I'm still tryin to work on my wife, I've got her up to me being allowed 4 track days next year
Threaten her with a $ tattoo?
__________________


Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #663
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK
 
dble Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 1,868
Kurt......that was hilarious.

Luckily for me, I was already into Automotive everything when my wife and I started dating. So she knew what she was getting into. She's a bit of a thrill seeker anyway, so she thinks it's cool when I do these things. It's a fine line balancing automotive life and family life however.

Yeah, as an instructor, there are some savings, and driving an older car vs. newer car more savings too. As an instructor, I do not get paid for my time, in lieu I get free track time. That saves upwards of $350/day. Plus driving an e30 is pretty cheap. Although I will say you MUST spend the money up front making sure all of the rubber bits have been changed! Then you ammortize that over the next year of events. And yes only 1 year as you'll be changing them all again next spring. That's the added wear and tear a car will see. It's just the cost of doing this stuff!
__________________

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #664
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool
 
Dr. Flyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,365
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
Kurt......that was hilarious.

Luckily for me, I was already into Automotive everything when my wife and I started dating. So she knew what she was getting into. She's a bit of a thrill seeker anyway, so she thinks it's cool when I do these things. It's a fine line balancing automotive life and family life however.

Yeah, as an instructor, there are some savings, and driving an older car vs. newer car more savings too. As an instructor, I do not get paid for my time, in lieu I get free track time. That saves upwards of $350/day. Plus driving an e30 is pretty cheap. Although I will say you MUST spend the money up front making sure all of the rubber bits have been changed! Then you ammortize that over the next year of events. And yes only 1 year as you'll be changing them all again next spring. That's the added wear and tear a car will see. It's just the cost of doing this stuff!
Could you list what you change each year on your e30?
__________________

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #665
dcramer
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orangeville
Posts: 1,085
well, being an instructor may not be for everyone. I'm not so sure I want to get in the passenger seat with some people.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #666
doogee
Stance is Gay.
 
doogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ancaster
Posts: 3,438
Send a message via MSN to doogee
Mosport tomorrow!
__________________


Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #667
sb_600
5th Gear Member
 
sb_600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,183
You planning on being there oct 10th? Looks like i'll be there with the ASE lapping club. Would be cool to see your car in person!
__________________
Shawn
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #668
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK
 
dble Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 1,868
In response to Dr. Flyview:

I change ball joints, tie rods, tires, brake pads, brake rotors, brake fluid every year. Outside of tires that's approx. $700 incl. labour. Tires, until this year I was buying used so they were only lasting a season or less, but I bought some new star specs, I'm hoping last a season and a half plus street miles. The tires were $750. A friend with a Mustang track car spends triple that, because parts are more expensive. A different friend with a Civic track car spends about the same as I do. E46 M3 closer to the Mustang. But, the more expensive cars are quicker. So it just depends if you have budget and just want to go out and have some fun, you can save some money. If you have to be one of the faster ones, it's going to cost you big! I've got a mortgage, two kids, a dog, and a wife, so I have to live on the frugal side, BUT, I still have my fun!
__________________

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #669
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK
 
dble Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 1,868
Sorry to thread jack in the previous post Kurt. How was Mosport today? How'd the car run?
__________________

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #670
davericher20
black and blue
 
davericher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 storey 3 bedroom 1 car garage
Posts: 3,592
It was great how Kurt tried "something new" with me as a passenger today. Braking really f uckin uncomfortably late at turn 8. Scared the bejeezus out of me the first time lmao. Brakes are good I know that!
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #671
doogee
Stance is Gay.
 
doogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ancaster
Posts: 3,438
Send a message via MSN to doogee
Here is how Monday went

__________________


Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #672
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,255
John I have over 300 pictures from monday. Once I have a chance to edit them, I'll post them up on my blog.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #673
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK
 
dble Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 1,868
Kurt great video. Your driving is very good. Your gearing is killing you though. I bet with a taller geared diff, you'd gain a second or more a lap. You're holding for a while as you're sitting at the rev limiter going into 8, and you're shifting a lot, especially through 5 when you grab third. Awesome car! Awesome. Me wants!
__________________

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #674
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK
 
dble Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
John I have over 300 pictures from monday. Once I have a chance to edit them, I'll post them up on my blog.
You were out there on Monday? Did you drive too, or spectate only?
__________________

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #675
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
You were out there on Monday? Did you drive too, or spectate only?
Spectate only, got a ride with Kurt.

Some teaser shots....

Smile Rudy!


Because Racecar?







Rudy showing the GT-R who's bauss....



Kurt taking the checkered flag......lol


View this entire album: Sept.26 - BMW Toronto HPDE
__________________

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 09-28-2011 at 10:32 AM.
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.