Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #646
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by exbmwtech View Post
What alignment specs did you use ?
I think it was 3/16" out at the front. Will double check tomorrow. Still have to square up the car at the rear and align that as well, because just visually it looks like the LR is toeing out quite a bit. Camber is alright judging from the tire wear, but it is in the general (eyeballed) area of -3.5ish front, and -2.5ish at the rear. I will check and set that too this week

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #647
exbmwtech
2nd Gear Member

Rudy can you do mine when it's ready.
exbmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #648
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by exbmwtech View Post
Rudy can you do mine when it's ready.
I'll PM you in a sec.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 AM   #649
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Here is another video from a few weeks ago. First lap is okay, the rest is all traffic. I should be able to make up more time soon.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #650
dcramer
5th Gear Member

What gearing do you have in there? You're in 4th and 5th where I am usually in 3rd, and 4th
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #651
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
What gearing do you have in there? You're in 4th and 5th where I am usually in 3rd, and 4th
Was going to ask the same thing, 3.91 maybe?

Also what happened on the last lap?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #652
davericher20
black and blue

I thought it was footage at the end of the day until I saw my car at turn 3. Whooo!

Trevor, that guy in the black evo got loose at the end of 2 and smacked the outside wall. Not surprised. There were a couple people complaining that he was VERY unsafe and he shouldn't be out there.....yet he wasn't even questioned by the organizers....They didn't give 2 shits who was doing what.
Kurt I like the head shake of approval at the end of the vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #653
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post

I'm just running out of gear on the back straight. But not enough to bother me.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #654
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
I thought it was footage at the end of the day until I saw my car at turn 3. Whooo!

Trevor, that guy in the black evo got loose at the end of 2 and smacked the outside wall. Not surprised. There were a couple people complaining that he was VERY unsafe and he shouldn't be out there.....yet he wasn't even questioned by the organizers....They didn't give 2 shits who was doing what.
Kurt I like the head shake of approval at the end of the vid
Disapproval face?

Yeah JRP track days are stupid.

I didn't get any footy from the end of the day when I was pretty quick because I left the gopro on for almost 3 hours in the pits and it died lol.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #655
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Haven't had an update for a very long time.

I haven't even seen the car for about a month since it's up in Port Perry at the moment. Going to go pick it up soon and start tinkering with the car more.

The underpanel I made turned out pretty good, I still haven't gotten around to working out a good way to mount it. I could just bolt it on, but it would be nice to have an easier system.

Rudy and I also started a brake duct project. Rather than paying $1000000 for one of the kits off the big boys websites, we tackled it ourselves. Turns out, it's worth buying them lol.

Rudy did majority of the work on the actual backing plates and they turned out perfect.

While I made some fiberglass ducts for the front bumper. These are going to work nicely.

Here is a little outside video:

Old 09-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #656
tehskeo
CEL Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Here is a little outside video:
Hehehe, sounds awesome! wwwwwwwwwWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

I remember meeting you at a KW/Cambridge meet in May and you were talking about this car. I just went through the whole thread and I am super jealous.

As someone who wishes to do a build like this in the future, can I ask how much you've spent on the car so far? How much does it cost to run at the tracks as often as you go?
tehskeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #657
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I can't answer how much it cost that's obviously Kurts department. However running at the track is not cheap. First there is the organizer's fees. Usually at the GP track you're looking at something like $350/day. Some more some less, but this is a good average. At lesser tracks, it's obviously less. More like $175-$225/day depending on track time, size of groups etc.

Then you need to consider the wear and tear on your car. Unless you're a moron, you're not going to blow through a set of tires and brakes in a day or weekend, but you do need to consider that you are wearing parts quicker. So tires that might go 40,000km might only take you 25,000km or less depending on the amount of tracking you do on street tires. Highly recommended to get dedicated track rubber, but then there's an added expense! Also you need to consider gas, again depending on track time you will go through a tank a day of presumably 91 or 94 octane.

You also need to consider travel expenses, whether you're driving your daily to the track and back, or a dedicated track car being towed by a truck and trailer combo. Both have associated costs. If you're taking your dd, make sure you have CAA or at least $200 cash ready to go for the in case you break something at the track and need a tow home!

Also you MUST make sure there is no slop or play in any of your suspension or steering components. I'm not talking about aftermarket crap here, I simply mean oem components that are NOT worn out such as ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, shock absorbers, bushings etc. Anything that is even slightly worn must be addressed before going to the track.

In summary you're looking at at about $1000/day to go to the track. I've been doing this for 16 years now, so I know, there are some ways you can save money, but this is a comprehensive and realistic list to consider. There is more believe it or not, but this is the most notable.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #658
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
In summary you're looking at at about $1000/day to go to the track.
This is unfortunately true.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #659
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Not only is it expensive but it can be hard to justify to the wife, SO, family, parents, others when people hear how much it costs, they are like you paid that much to drive around a track? and they are always like what do you get out of it..... I usually don't even bother trying to explain, because they'll never understand.

The last story i used was, every little boy dreams of being a race car driver when they grow up, and this is probably as close to achieving that dream or atleast feeling like it for one day that most of us will get. So it's worth it to us...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #660
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I will agree that the wife thing was an issue when I first started getting back into modding my car and autocrossing, track involvement and numerous other events, but, luckily over the years she has seen it makes me happy and we have developed great friendships with others with the same hobby and she looks forward to seeing them and spending time at events with them.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: