Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Irishace
N54 Gone but not forgotte

BMW 135i 1/4 Mile 12.575 @ 117.59

I went to Cayuga on May 14th to test out my BMW 135i. I was on pump gas and street tires and managed to put down some strong times. Attached is a link to the video, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCrC5MIRLcM
Irishace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Sweet and what was the boost level?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Irishace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Sweet and what was the boost level?
Hit 18.2 psi at top end.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Dayyyym 18. Now this is going back about 8 years but my stang had a built motor from SHM ( Sean Hyland ), JE forged pistons, Manly rod blahblahblah that was good for 18-20 all day but dayyyym 18 out of the stocker! I suppose it has a custom chip(program ) for the track, kind of a flip switch set up?

I heard that regular double digit boost is not a good idea on your motor, whats the plan if she blows?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Irishace

There is considerable debate regarding the ability of the stock internals of the N54 to handle increased boost. There are thousands of N54s running 15 psi as daily driver setups which is double the factory targets. These cars are extremely under tuned when they roll off the line, that being said if you are going to risk it you have to be prepared to pay to play.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
There is considerable debate regarding the ability of the stock internals of the N54 to handle increased boost. There are thousands of N54s running 15 psi as daily driver setups which is double the factory targets. These cars are extremely under tuned when they roll off the line, that being said if you are going to risk it you have to be prepared to pay to play.
Hey at least you know the risk, my supposed safe tune at 8 psi ended up costing me $20k to do it right the second time. Mind you the second time round was 14psi daily and air to air with a built tranny, rear end etc. So peace of mind was nice but one must pay to play lol
Old 05-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

What was the car beside you? I see her ran a .344 rta I think I saw on the last pass. If you can get off the line a little bit quicker you might be able to get under 12secs. But those are some nice lap times, pretty steady and even times.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
Irishace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
What was the car beside you? I see her ran a .344 rta I think I saw on the last pass. If you can get off the line a little bit quicker you might be able to get under 12secs. But those are some nice lap times, pretty steady and even times.
This is a funny story, the car beside me was a bright orange jacked SRT8. I smoked him in the run and as we are pulling up to the slip hut he is jawing at me and was shocked at how fast the car was. I just smiled at him. After a few passes people starting coming up to me and asking about the car, it was really fun, as the folks were saying they did not see many BMWs on the drag strip.

My rts and 60 feet stink I am working on it now, it is my greatest opportunity to improve my times. I am going to bolt on drag radials and throw in some race gas to push for an 11 second pass.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
Reaction time doesn't impact your ET. 60' time does. All a good reaction time does is give you a better chance against the guy next to you if you're running someone. I've seen fully built drag cars sit at the line for a couple seconds and still run an 8.xx 1/4. They're not 6 second cars though.

The 60' time gives an indication of how hard you're launching the car, and that impacts your ET. I ran 60' times in the 2.1 s range when I went to the track once because I refused to launch my 330 hard at all, just 2000 RPMs. That ruins your ET's if you follow my lead.
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Irishace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstearnsy View Post
Reaction time doesn't impact your ET. 60' time does. All a good reaction time does is give you a better chance against the guy next to you if you're running someone. I've seen fully built drag cars sit at the line for a couple seconds and still run an 8.xx 1/4. They're not 6 second cars though.

The 60' time gives an indication of how hard you're launching the car, and that impacts your ET. I ran 60' times in the 2.1 s range when I went to the track once because I refused to launch my 330 hard at all, just 2000 RPMs. That ruins your ET's if you follow my lead.
Yep I know, I am just working on RTs for the "competitive" aspect of the drag race. The drag radials will dramitically help the 60" times. What is basically understood is that .1 of a second off a 60" time equates to .2 off your 1/4 mile ET.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
Yep I know, I am just working on RTs for the "competitive" aspect of the drag race. The drag radials will dramitically help the 60" times. What is basically understood is that .1 of a second off a 60" time equates to .2 off your 1/4 mile ET.
This is basically true to a point and will be true at your range.

From experience when I switched from the stock tire to a 17 inch DR my 60 ft went from 2.1 to 1.9 and did knock off just over .3 off my time. Even as I added power the 1.9 held consistantly ( from 330rw-500rw ). Now in order to get my 3300 pd car into the 11's it took around 120+ mph. So for you at 12.5 with a 2.0 at 117 you could very well hit around 12.20's with the DR's. To hit 11's you may have to look elsewhere besides simply adding power as you are already pushing the stock motor with 18 psi. If 11's would = win for you try looking at gear ratio, suspension set up or lightening the car. Otherwise I dont see 11's happening just yet. Also not sure youd ever want to go with anything but a DR, I wouldnt give your IRS long on a set of true slicks. I being in a mustang had the live axle, upgraded splines and an eaton air locking diff so wasnt too concerned but the IRS is def a small set back on launch.

The only complaint I had with my DR's was wet weather, it can get a little interesting in pouring rain if youre too heavy with your foot. GL

Last edited by Blackedout95; 05-19-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
martinM5
3rd Gear Member

what tune is in the 135? is that the only modification?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Auto?

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
Irishace

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinM5 View Post
what tune is in the 135? is that the only modification?
There is a mod list at the end of the video. Car is a steptronic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: