Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

ETEST failed! the numbers... what to tweak?

40km/h

HC 101 (limit 58) FAIL
CO % 0.88 (limit 0.32) FAIL
NO ppm 61 (limit 0435) PASS

Curb idle

HC 161 (150) FAIL
CO 0.42 (0.7) PASS

98 M3

Now I have been told BMWs shouldn't be dynoed for etest, and should just be 2 stage idle... in which case.. the car is close.

would running it into empty and pouring that guarantee to pass / a few litres of sunoco 94 help?

what do those numbers indicate is fawked up?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Dan Bro
3rd Gear Member

Is your "check engine" light on ? if so I would scan the car and see what codes pop up... otherwise my guess would be the O2 sensors.
Dan Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

cool... m3 has 2 of them or 4? check engine light is not on...

where's best place for 'cheap' o2 sensors ?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
DYMO
JDM soul

dont cheap out on "cheap" (which arent really cheap btw) o2 sensors. you'll need to replace them by the time your next etest rolls around.

my suggestion, get a tune up, and then put sunny 94 and drive on the highway for a bit.
DYMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Your M car WILL fail, if the person testing it lugs it on the dyno. These cars are terribly innefficient under low RPM and high load, basically they were built to be driven the shit out of.
So, make sure who ever is dynoing it beats on it and keeps the RPM's high on the dyno.

That's exactly what happened with my old e34 M5. Guy kept RPM's at lowest point of RPM allowed, car failed, I was pissed told my buddy and he got another guy who is a car freak to do it and he told me this. I didn't believe him, sure enough he was right. Car passed with flying colours.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Your M car WILL fail, if the person testing it lugs it on the dyno. These cars are terribly innefficient under low RPM and high load, basically they were built to be driven the shit out of.
So, make sure who ever is dynoing it beats on it and keeps the RPM's high on the dyno.

That's exactly what happened with my old e34 M5. Guy kept RPM's at lowest point of RPM allowed, car failed, I was pissed told my buddy and he got another guy who is a car freak to do it and he told me this. I didn't believe him, sure enough he was right. Car passed with flying colours.
Maybe your car was near the limit of failing anyway, as any M5 I have had tested (and others using my chip) have had numbers so low that you would think the engine was not even running.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

hmm.. we shall see soon enough.. just checked air filter , its a bit dirty.. will try sunoco 94, a ton of gasline anti-freeze, and fresh air filter
Old 10-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwstylz View Post
hmm.. we shall see soon enough.. just checked air filter , its a bit dirty.. will try sunoco 94, a ton of gasline anti-freeze, and fresh air filter
How old are the o2 sensors? Those results indicate they could be old and reacting slowly.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
Maybe your car was near the limit of failing anyway, as any M5 I have had tested (and others using my chip) have had numbers so low that you would think the engine was not even running.
Mark, we ALL know you have the best chips that feed the hungry, prevent draught and give cars super powers.

Testing it the proper way reduced my e34 M5's numbers to less than half the limit. It had new O2's, new air filter, and 1 year old Hi flo cats.

Worth a try for the OP.

Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
Old 10-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
noid
5th Gear Member

What you want to do is run the car very hard before the test, cars put out best results when completely warmed up.

Go to your local backroads and do some "spirited driving" then spirit all the way to the test location and have them test it again.
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Mark, we ALL know you have the best chips that feed the hungry, prevent draught and give cars super powers.

Testing it the proper way reduced my e34 M5's numbers to less than half the limit. It had new O2's, new air filter, and 1 year old Hi flo cats.

Worth a try for the OP.
I mentioned that to show that even with a chip, the E34 M5's pass with huge margins. I should locate the e-test I did about 4 weeks ago and post it here. And that was on an M5 that swas stored with a tank of old fuel from last November. I took it out of storage, drove it 10 km's to the test and it passed. And not an idle test. I'll post the results when I find them.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:

How are they supposed to "keep the RPMs up" if they need to be at a certain speed in a certain gear? I remember when they were doing my car, they were trying to hit a speed or a certain RPM.

I guess if they're supposed to hit a certain speed regardless of gear, they can keep it in a lower gear (i.e. 2nd instead of 3rd for 40km/h).

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
elroy
2nd Gear Member

just put an ix badge on the back lol and they'll tsi it.
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
JINT
5th Gear Member

Run Seafoam in it. First of all suck it in through the brake booster vacuum hose into the manifold, than pour some in the gas tank, drive with that for 350km in the tank, drive it hard. It SHOULD pass the test, and yeah the guys are right, it's no good on low's on a dyno.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #15
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
How are they supposed to "keep the RPMs up" if they need to be at a certain speed in a certain gear? I remember when they were doing my car, they were trying to hit a speed or a certain RPM.

I guess if they're supposed to hit a certain speed regardless of gear, they can keep it in a lower gear (i.e. 2nd instead of 3rd for 40km/h
).
Ditto. Exactly what they did.

Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: