Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #31
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

The second link you posted is mine (the blue one). If the first car you posted (the black one) is worth the asking price (it's not), then I should be asking way more for mine.
I've received a lot of emails saying "I'll take it", but only one person came by to look at it.... I'm tired of timewasters.

My advice? Buy the cleanest one you can find and afford: don't be swayed by aftermarket parts or the like, which are much easier to find/fix if that's your thing.
If you can't find/afford a mint one, even an average one is a great car to own and especially drive.

Nathan

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT

Last edited by njansenv; 05-09-2010 at 01:35 PM.
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #32
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi5000 View Post
if i swapped out diffs and maybe the engine down the road, would that turn my "E" into an "I"?
You can put the I head and intake onto an E motor. A lot of people do that becuase the E motors actually displace 2.7L, so swapping the freer flowing I head onto the E block is an easy/cheap way of doing a stroker build. Talk to Rudy (craz azn) about his car, it pulls like hell.

If you are considering engine swaps in the near future, head over to R3Vlimited and look at the m50/2 swaps and dont worry about what kind of M20 your getting right now

Diffs are easy to find, but the LSDs are a lil pricey, that's why its best to try and find an IS/ES right off the batt.

Lol, and to answer your question, yes, swapping the motor will turn your E into an I, and swapping the seats/diff/steering wheel/suspension (?) will turn your I into an IS (or E into an ES)
Old 05-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #33
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Both look to be busted ass cars. You get what you pay for, and there's a reason that the older guys who waited years for the right car to come along end up having clean rides. Wait for the right one, and be ready to drop the cash.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #34
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Even if you sandblast, the rust is still there. The only way to entirely get rid of rust is to cut it all out and weld a corrosion-free piece into place. This is a job that is easily butchered, and will always leave telltale signs that it was done.
This.

I did a rusty project with my short lived Chevy Blazer and it was such a ****ing headache. Never, ever, again.

And ya both of those e30s look rough.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #35
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

True, welding a new piece in is the absolute best way to do it. But as I said before, epoxy sealer works wonders when you spray the complete piece like the truck and underneath the car like we did with the Trans-Am. The sealed metal will last longer then the frame. My next door neighbor has a 1964 Pontiac Firebird droptop. He did the proper thing and got his car dipped in acid and welded new sheet metal and then go it sealed and painted the proper way. Only took him 9 years to make his car though. For me, I'm just worried about the main components. Frame rails are near mint on my iS, just the truck needs to be done which my friend has a spare parts car in which I'll be cutting his stuff out and then I'm going to properly seal and tar the truck so it won't rust anymore. My car will look completely different by the end of summer and done correctly to some extent without having to completely gut the car. I agree completely with the rust, but you can't find a perfectly mint e30 without some rust anywhere. Mine wasn't to bad and I'm willing to put the work in to get it done right.

Btw.. anyone know someone who wants to buy a 1980 Pontiac Trans-Am ? My dad doesn't want it anymore.. and since I have my project car there's no point in having 2 >_< One owner car and engine has a new Holley carb with Holley valve covers and everything. Interior is absolutely mint and engine runs nice. Have new shocks and extra doors and shacker hood and everything to make it complete. Just getting the word out ^_^

Last edited by HavocSteve; 05-09-2010 at 09:39 PM.
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #36
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Check the front strut towers on the red car, I knew someone with a red hartge modded ix... put it through a barn then sold it to a guy for 1k. It had a bent trailing arm and one of the front strut towers was bent way out.

Buy the one with the least rust and filler. Take a soft cloth and magnet, check rear fenders, rear tail panel check the license plate light area. Don't forget to put your hands on the front jack points, push hard, it it moves at all it's shot. If there are holes there or anywhere along the sides of the car, it can be $$$ to fix properly.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 05-09-2010 at 09:59 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #37
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
i was in the area so went to look at that red IX. What a disaster. Its mangled, and definitely NOT Hartge. everything is busted or dented, sitting on all flats, 2 wheels are ****ed, interior is ****ed, no hood release so i popped it with a driver, but under the hood is pretty pitiful too. Front axle boots were all screwed, valence and bumpers had a lot of damage, exhaust was crumbling. The trunk had a Hartge badge... right beside the ///M badge, under the ebay wing.
Best part was, the guy wanted so much for it, would not call me or give me his number, and when we finally agree on a time and the address(I had to leave work early to fit his schedule), he didnt show.
This car is scrap, what a waste of time.

Just thought I'd let you guys know so noone else bothers.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #38
audi5000
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaught View Post
i was in the area so went to look at that red IX. What a disaster. Its mangled, and definitely NOT Hartge. everything is busted or dented, sitting on all flats, 2 wheels are ****ed, interior is ****ed, no hood release so i popped it with a driver, but under the hood is pretty pitiful too. Front axle boots were all screwed, valence and bumpers had a lot of damage, exhaust was crumbling. The trunk had a Hartge badge... right beside the ///M badge, under the ebay wing.
Best part was, the guy wanted so much for it, would not call me or give me his number, and when we finally agree on a time and the address(I had to leave work early to fit his schedule), he didnt show.
This car is scrap, what a waste of time.

Just thought I'd let you guys know so noone else bothers.
WOW, are you seriuos? no wonder he wanted me to pick it up for 900$ that weekend!
Good thing you checked it out not me, i wouldnt know too much and probably would have bought it.

On the good side, i went to check out "njansenv"s E30. And the search is over! By car the best one ive seen in this area for me.
now i just have to sell mine car.
audi5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #39
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Did you actually buy the blue one or are you planning to after you sell your car?
Brent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #40
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
great news on the car.
Ya, the IX was a horrible sight. Its funny though, not as much rust as I expected based on the rest of the car's condition. I think the ad said 8/10 exterior. Dents, decals, scratches and cracked plastic put it down to about 3. Peeling tint looked great too.if anyones looking for a parts car, it might be worth offering him a $100, but you'd have to bring a trailer. Its far from running.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #41
audi5000
2nd Gear Member

thinking back i should have dropped a deposit.
i would like to sell my car first so i still have the driveway space, but i just may end up buying it first.
But yeah, definitely going to pick it up for my first E30
Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #42
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
thinking back i should have dropped a deposit.
i would like to sell my car first so i still have the driveway space, but i just may end up buying it first.
But yeah, definitely going to pick it up for my first E30
Good call, not sure what you're driving now, but I pretty much guarantee you'll like the E30 better. You're going to love it...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #43
audi5000
2nd Gear Member

im rockin a civic right now
its my 5th hatch. time for a change. time for a real car
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133007
here she is
Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #44
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
im rockin a civic right now
its my 5th hatch. time for a change. time for a real car
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133007
here she is
I drive a civic as my daily driver as well-you're going to love the E30 X2 lol!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #45
razzor
2nd Gear Member

when I read this type of thread it makes me very happy my e30 never saw a winter, what luck to find it, cause I didn t know these cars then like I do now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: