Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

Shifter bushings

I just bought an ebay short shifter, it came with the shift lever attached to that bracket with the pointy end and the bushing that goes into the other end of the bracket. My shifter is really sloppy so I'm going to replace bushings while I'm in there, so which ones should I replace? And what kind of bushings should I get? Do polyurethane bushings make a big difference? Are there any local or Canadian stores that sell these things for a good price?
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
sparkybp
Tortures BMWs.

Hey, depending on the short shift kit that you got it may come with a selector rod or just the shorter shifter arm.It should be an OEM fit but sometimes if its the whole package it might have its own bushing style and sizes. A good place to order an OEM equivalent shifter bushing kit is Pelican Parts, they also have a sweet write up on all of it. According to them the Delrin aftermarket bushings are manufactured even more pecisely than the oem for that tight tight feel and will last longer because of non-consumable materials. You will notice a huge difference from the old shifting with both kits, combined with a short shoft kit, make your bmw a way more engaging experience. Whichever you end up purchasing, their DIY is for the win. Keep in mind for easiest and quickest way of getting all this done is jacking the car up to a nice height, removing exhaust and driveshaft.

Last edited by sparkybp; 04-10-2010 at 09:27 AM.
sparkybp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
jeffrie
Addict

IMO wait for your kit see what it comes with and then go to the stealers for the bushings your missing.
Never went with anything other then stock shifter but bought all the componets to fix the sloppyness and were less then 20 bucks for everything.
Bit of a PITA to figure out how to get to the one the ball sits in but easy once you figured it out.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
mhamouda
Lookin like M

i got a sloppy shifter too... went on the pelican site but couldnt find the DIY..
any 1 has it?
mhamouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
sparkybp
Tortures BMWs.

oh its on there buddy! they even sell the shifter bushing kit
sparkybp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: