Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Arrow Help with LSD leak

Hey guys,

So I purchased a used 3.23 M3 limited slip differential (LSD), put it in the car with some friends. Noticed a small leak. We figured we needed to replace the fill and drain plug washers, so we did, but the leak remains.

Then we figured it might have been overfilled and leaking from the vent. We checked if it was overfilled, and it WAS. However, even after letting it drip out from the fill plug on a level hoist, it continues to leak. Probably about a drop every hour. It SEEMS to be coming from the bottom of the rear diff cover and continues to leak even after the car hasn't been driven for a week. This, to me, means it can't be leaking from the vent, which is higher than the resting level of the fluid? What about the output shaft seals?

1) How likely is it to be coming from the cover?
2) Is there a gasket there? What do I seal it back up with after opening and cleaning?
3) What torque should the cover bolts be torqued to?

Thanks,

Flaviu

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
how much is leaking? How much fluid is in the diff? it might still be over-filled

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Like I said, maybe 1-3 drops per hour. I put an old skateboard under it and in a week the whole thing is wet. And I can't see it leaking from being over-filled if the car hasn't moved.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
blk3
4th Gear Member

wash it all so its nice and clean, then let it drip so then you will be able to see where its coming from
blk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
EuroSpec_92
MPOWER

seals commonly leak.
im not sure if there is a current gasket but you can reseal with gasket maker.
and just snugg up everything.

99 Estoril M3
EuroSpec_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
mhamouda
Lookin like M

let me know what the problem is.. very curious i bought an LSD and about to install it.. so want to make sure same thing doesnt happen to me
mhamouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

If your gonna do the cover and you have time remove the cover and let it drain over night. Clean it like mad with brake clean b4 applying gasket silicone. Any oil will cause it to leak after. It's also a good chance to clean out the inside of the casing. No matter how often you change it there is going to be some build up inside of fillings. Also make sure the fluid you use has LSD additive or you can add that seperatly. Makes a
huge difference in operation. Change the imput and output seals if you have time cause it's a pain doing them later.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Oh I forgot. Some diffs actually need the level a bit under the fill hole. This gets tricky with lowered and modded cars. If you decide to take it out and do the othe seals fill it with the recomended capacity b4 reinstalling.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
mech9T8
3rd Gear Member

Before I swaped my LSD I replace all 3 seals...just to be safe. Not that hard to do.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
Hey guys,

So I purchased a used 3.23 M3 limited slip differential (LSD), put it in the car with some friends. Noticed a small leak. We figured we needed to replace the fill and drain plug washers, so we did, but the leak remains.

Then we figured it might have been overfilled and leaking from the vent. We checked if it was overfilled, and it WAS. However, even after letting it drip out from the fill plug on a level hoist, it continues to leak. Probably about a drop every hour. It SEEMS to be coming from the bottom of the rear diff cover and continues to leak even after the car hasn't been driven for a week. This, to me, means it can't be leaking from the vent, which is higher than the resting level of the fluid? What about the output shaft seals?

1) How likely is it to be coming from the cover?
2) Is there a gasket there? What do I seal it back up with after opening and cleaning?
3) What torque should the cover bolts be torqued to?

Thanks,

Flaviu

Unless you see a path from where the oil is coming from; I would most likely suspect it is the cover. Since it is a drip- almost equivalent to a sweat. Drain it and remove and replace the gasket in between and as Rich said make sure it is dry and oil/grease free or you will run into it again regardless of what gasket material you use. When the front seal leaks it usually runs towards the back of the diff while driving. I had diff's that sweat and always left residue on the casing but never drip. I'd think since gravity is amazing it most likely is coming from the lowest point- the cover.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: