Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
morpheus
2nd Gear Member

Exhaust...what to do??

Hey guys,

I have a completely redone exhaust line on my car. I have the SS replica headers and then 2'1/4" line to high flow cats. Shortly after the cats, I've got a magnaflow X-Pipe followed by one dual in dual out magnaflow muffler and then another dual in dual out muffler at the end of the line.

I added the second muffler in the middle cause the car was way too loud and the drone inside the vehicle was unbearable but not much has changed . It was quieter when i first installed the muffler but I think the backfires the car makes when slowing down in gear has damaged the internals of the muffler making it pretty useless.

Now I 'm thinking of just buying a cat back exhaust but I need to find one thats 2 1/4" to fit my current setup. I don't mind if I have to modify it abit for it to fit I just want to make the car quieter and driveable!!

Anyone have any idea what I should use and what available out there? If anyone has something to sell , please let me know, i need to find a solution fast before I go deaf.

Thanks
morpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

Personally, I'm about to install an 18" Magnaflow myself. I'm curious what Magnaflow P/N's you're running? If you don't know, what size are they? I would have thought that running 2 Magnaflows would have been reasonably quiet esp. if you're running an 18" one in the back. If you're running an 11" or 14" one in back, that could explain the high noise level. I actually wanted to squeeze in a 22" one, but there's no way it would fit.
kenmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
morpheus
2nd Gear Member

I'm running the 14385 x2. I liked the magnaflow idea cause it was cheap but I totally regret it. Lot of time and money wasted on that and in the end I think it's all going to end in the trash.
morpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to put in a 5x8x18 which is 720ci volume-wise and is more than 40% bigger than your 14385 which is only 504ci. I assume the extra volume will muffle better. At least I hope it does. If you're willing to wait a few weeks, I can let you know how mine turns out.

Last edited by kenmar; 04-29-2010 at 11:22 PM.
kenmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
mhamouda
Lookin like M

PM'ed you.. got an AC schnitzer catback
mhamouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Dual 2.25"? You have enough flow for a big block Chevy. May be a serious contributor to the loudness, not to mention low-end power loss.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: