Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Ramps
2nd Gear Member

How do you launch your M3?

I just bought an E46 M3 with a manual tranny. I am heading to Cayuga soon (1/4 mile, not road coarse) and was wondering what's the best tactic to launch these cars?

Has anyone broke anything at the track? I'll be running on 285/30R19 Toyo Poxes.
Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Your cars made to turn corners Launching is easy press gass and go traction control does everything else for you.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Yeaaaah +1 on that ^^

BMWs aren't really straight line cars. Take it to the real track for some real fun.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Also your tires are too thin to gain any traction advantage the width and compound give you.

In a strait line you want your sideway to flex and snap you forward
Old 05-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Ramps
2nd Gear Member

I know these aren't drag cars...but I want to see what I can do in it. I'll hit the road coarse next time I go. I also know that I'd be better off with a smaller rim and DRs but I'm not going to blow money on those since I'm not making dragging this car a hobby.

So no one here 1/4 mile races?
Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

You should come try autocross racing. Really great way to push your car and have fun!!
Old 05-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #7
325ixE30
3rd Gear Member

I have in many other cars. Biggest difference from the street is traction.

The drag strip has a lot more grip vs the street.

First thing is to go around the water trap (used for wetting tires for a burn out, warming the rubber.) Water gets in the treads and will cause you to spin. Street tires don't benefit from a burnout usually because the rubber compound is too hard.

Second thing is to stage properly. You can stage shallow, when your front tires just break the second staging light. OR You can stage deep, when the first staging light goes out. Generally staging shallow will slightly improve your E.T., staging deep will make your reaction time better.

Third thing is to experiment launching at different rpm. A small amount of wheel spin will give you the best launch and keep the RPM up. Some choose to use clutch slip as well to get a good launch. Your clutch will not like you, but your E.T. will.

I launch when I see the last yellow light go out to give me the best possible reaction time. A good reaction time will often win a race even over a quicker car.

After that its just a matter of shifting quickly at red-line RPM. You could power shift (shifting without lifting on the throttle) but I wouldn't recommend it for a novice.

That's a 'coles notes' of the 1/4 mile basics. The best thing to do is practice, ideally in a slower car at first. The easiest way to practice is with something that's automatic, get your reaction times down and your E.T.'s fairly consistent, then take the M3 out.

Hope that helps. There's tons of different techniques, try some out and see what works, then build on it. Let your car cool down between runs, and have fun!

I love the 1/4 mile as much as a track session, especially considering how expensive a few laps costs vs a night of old school drag racing.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Don't worry about launching, at TMP the idiots will continue to drag water into the staging area and you'll spin no matter what.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

when are the auto crosses?? i wanna come and watch
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote: