Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

I'm... not a mechanic.. Front wheel hub/help/advice needed...

Well, this all started when I wanted to do a suspension swap with my parts car, I have an older '89 E30 325i thats rusting out, but has bilstein sport shocks and H&R lowering springs, so I took them out, thinking it would be easy enough to put them on my good '87 IS, which had a couple of broken rear springs I later found out). SO... I ordered all my parts from pelican, I just chose the stage 3 kit and minus'ed out the springs and shocks.

Then I added some eibach adjustable sway bars, long story short... I noticed that one of the rotor's was loose so I figured I'd re-set the set bolt for the rotor, no go.. completely seized... so we took the extreme measure and drilled it out, after trying a bunch of other options. So now I need a new hub assembly for the front passenger side. So I ordered a kit from bavauto, mean while I painted the dust shied and strut towers,..

So the hub comes in, great... maybe a little over anxious, and we slapped it on... not thinking that the dust shield is still off... so we carefully had to pull it off again... sure enough the inner seal snapped... My friend assured me its still good, it just might wear out pre-maturely... so we kept going.... installed it all,... then looks great, snapped a couple pictures and noticed that I'm missing the inner dust shield for the hub assembly... so now I'm a little worried... I thought it would of been part of the hub assembly, but I was wrong....

what now... should I continue on and put the the strut tower back on the car? we have not torqued the hub locking nut yet... I think I need advice before I can continue... I'll post some pics later on today...

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,

I fear an additional 150$ worth of parts is going to be needed....
Nerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

are you referring to the dust cap which fits over the lock down nut on the hub?

If so, you don't really need it. As long as the lock washer tab is locked down over the nut you'll be fine. Make sure you have the proper torque setting for that nut. Or you could either make it too tight or loose.

If you had ordered an oem hub assembly you wouldn't have encountered this problem. I have a couple used e30 hubs with the ABS option I had in my IS with low k's..

oh well. we live and we learn. :-)

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

No, I'm referring to the inner dust seal...

Here's a picture of both, one with the dust seal and the other (the newer looking one) without it...

We also broke the seal trying to gently pull it off... I guess it's impossible to take them off without breaking the seal...

I think the worst part is, it's eating up my buddy's garage, and he needs to swap out his steering rack. So we tried to hurry, and look where it got us...

I think Visa is going to love me this month...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suspension April 24th-1.jpg (48.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Suspension April 24th-2.jpg (73.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

oh, and as you can see, I cheeped out on the brake dust shields and just rust converted the old ones and then sprayed on some heat paint

Also... I should of asked this as well, and sadly I don't have any pics, but I marred the cylinders of the Bilstein shocks when I took em out of the old strut towers... is it possible that I may have wrecked those as well? I used the large pair of vice grips method...

I don't know, again, I'm no mechanic .
Old 04-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Ceeker

you will eventually get crap and grit behind the wheel bearing race and you'll wear your bearing out prematurely. As for the Billy's depends on where you gripped the shaft. If high enough up; the piston may not travel that far down to affect the seal. But if low enough it is possible you'll get problems later on...

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 04-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

ok... let's put it this way...

This is not a daily driver, nor do I drive it in the winter... next fall I'm planning on doing some brake upgrades... think I can hold off on it until then? I'd probably do the drivers side at the same time... I am planning on bringing it work and driving it this spring/summer to give my daily driver a break so it can get some repairs done on it...

My drive to work is roughly 1 hour of highway driving each way...

what do you think? I better get CAA?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Ceeker

you'll be fine...always good to have CAA though I have it. fuel pump breaks down you're stranded. happened to me. So you never know..

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

The funny part is, CAA will be funded by my pretro points card... which I used to buy all the parts

Well, that and gas from the insane amount of driving I do... My daily driver is an '03 Pontiac Vibe, got it new in September 2002, and it's got 275,000km on it... it needs a break, cause it's breaking... Windshield, wheel bearings, clutch and driver's side window is on that grocery list of things to fix, not too mention the long over due spring cleaning.. I'm gonna rip the interior out again, shampoo and steam clean the carpet etc... revisit a hole in the floor that I got some garage to do a cheap rivet patch on it... I know its all rusted up....

Anyhow, thanks for your help and re-assurance... I think I'll continue on and put the shock towers in place this week, and she'll be finally off the jack stands... (it's been close to a month now, this is torture).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: