Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
jamison67
E30 POWER

turbo project first ride

alrite guys i finnaly finished the turbo project and of coarse there r a few problums which was expected ,,,just wanna run it by u guys to see what u think

i have the 24 injecters wit rrfpr and turbo charge dynamics chip,,,, i have the wideband aswell ,,,its great tool

problum 1--- when i start the car i have to give it gas to start it and have to give it gas to keep it started or else it bogs up and down,,,but once warmed up it idles fine

problum2--when i excellerate rite before the boost kicks in it hesitates,,i have no clue why this is

and problum 3 ---rite when i let off the throttle after i gunned it and the boost is off it stalles rite away,,,or i have to put it in to nutral and give it gas to keep her going

aif u guys can help me out here that would be great

other wis the thing really has a kick to it ,,,its going to be a fun car
jamison67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
b-dawgGTA
2nd Gear Member

problem2 could be turbo lag?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
MarkD
Banned

Problem 2 is caused because you have more airflow than normal just before going into boost, but the mixture is not rich enough for that airflow. The motor is running lean at that point.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Mark D write a chip for this guy!!
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
jamison67
E30 POWER

but i dont think its the chip would it be that my rrfpr isnt rising enough

i dont have a begi,,,i have the one from baverian autosport that is susposed to work of the vaccun in regardes to the rising rste of it,,,,,i was pinchin pennies and already had this so i want to try to make it work

if u were to do a chip would u be able to make this rrfpr work with chip to make it run proper
Old 04-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
jamison67
E30 POWER

any ides on the other 2 problums aswell

thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
Problem 2 is caused because you have more airflow than normal just before going into boost, but the mixture is not rich enough for that airflow. The motor is running lean at that point.
x2... sounds like it's lean
Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

since you have a wideband, use the software for it and log your afrs.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
jamison67
E30 POWER

any ideas on the other problums and what do u think of the rrfpr that im using has this ever been used with success,,,,if i can get it going proper im not going to waste the money on a begi,,,ill just spen the little extra and buy the diypnp 55pin standalone
Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Just do the pnp megasquirt.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
E30 Kid
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to E30 Kid
what is the final price?
Old 04-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison67 View Post
but i dont think its the chip would it be that my rrfpr isnt rising enough

i dont have a begi,,,i have the one from baverian autosport that is susposed to work of the vaccun in regardes to the rising rste of it,,,,,i was pinchin pennies and already had this so i want to try to make it work

if u were to do a chip would u be able to make this rrfpr work with chip to make it run proper
Fuel and timing is controlled by the chip, so yes it is the chip. Todd at TCD only wanted ignition timing mods in that chip. (which I should have never made for him by the way)

What is your CR and how much boost are you running? Why not just fix your fuel pressure at 3 or 3.5 bar and tune the chip? Using a RRFPR is not the correct way to do this. You want your AFR under boost to be in a very specific range and that's not likely to happen without fuelling mods in the chip. Too rich and you loose power, same if it's too lean but then you get some other serious problems also...

You may also need 28 or 30# injectors, depending on your max boost.
I'm quite busy right now but I'd like to make your motor run to show people that it can be done. If you can do some of the logging and just email me the files with AFR and RPM, that would help.

Last edited by MarkD; 04-24-2010 at 02:07 PM.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
jamison67
E30 POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Just do the pnp megasquirt.
im not going to lie i now its the better thing for turbo but im a bit timid on doin it as i read up on it and i am not to good with electronices and trobleshooting electronices and wiring issues as i wanna do it and do it myself but dont want to runn into a big problum then am stuck paying someone big money to fix my problum,,,,,ur honest opinion is it really complicated once u get into it with tuning and making the car run rite

as for the cost off everything 2400 ,,and worth evey penny so far it pulls hard

as for the boost i want to run im thinking 8 pounds ,,running it off the spring...my compression is 8:5:1 seta bottam I head,,,,i also have a shrick 284 cam,,which is useless nowbut whatever
Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
jamison67
E30 POWER

markd r u saying fix my fuel pressure at 3.5 and come see u to burn a chip,,and not use the rrfpr,,,or use the rrfpr and come see u and tune a chip

heres what happened to me today driving the car,,i got the stalling after boost fixed(vaccum issue),,,,

well first off all let me tell u that my idle reading r always jumping around a point or a point and a half (which correct me if im wrong is due tp.o me haveing a cam in the car) so yeaterday i had it jumping around between high 13 and low 15 at idle and under bost she was really lean like 13.5 to 14.5 not good,,,so today i up the fuel a l;itle so she was jumpin in the 12s,,,and under full boost the first time she stayed in the mid 12s,,then went at her again and she was in the mid 13,,,then thought i would try again and she was at 13 even went up to 14 this is all around 8-10 pounds......its thoughing me all over the place with these readings

and another thing is with me making it idle more rich the thing gives me and even harder time starting it almost dosnt want to startup at all ,,,,,,this is something i really wanna fix so any imput will be helpful
Old 04-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you have big problems somewhere.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge installed? What's your base pressure set to?

What injectors are you running? What fuel pump? RRFPR's and stock pumps usually don't go hand in hand either as high pressures the old OEM pump won't like.

I would seriously consider taking MarkD up on his offer. Throw out the RRFPR, get bigger injectors (what ever ones he suggests) and a better pump (if you don't have one already) and go see him for a custom tune. You'll be happy you did.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: